US343333A - Shutter-fastener - Google PatentsShutter-fastener Download PDF
- Publication number
- US343333A US343333A US343333DA US343333A US 343333 A US343333 A US 343333A US 343333D A US343333D A US 343333DA US 343333 A US343333 A US 343333A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 239000000789 fastener Substances 0.000 title description 16
- 210000001331 Nose Anatomy 0.000 description 2
- 229940100662 Nasal Drops Drugs 0.000 description 1
- 238000010276 construction Methods 0.000 description 1
- 210000001699 lower leg Anatomy 0.000 description 1
- E—FIXED CONSTRUCTIONS
- E05—LOCKS; KEYS; WINDOW OR DOOR FITTINGS; SAFES
- E05B—LOCKS; ACCESSORIES THEREFOR; HANDCUFFS
- E05B17/00—Accessories in connection with locks
- E05B17/0025—Devices for forcing the wing firmly against its seat or to initiate the opening of the wing
- Y—GENERAL TAGGING OF NEW TECHNOLOGICAL DEVELOPMENTS; GENERAL TAGGING OF CROSS-SECTIONAL TECHNOLOGIES SPANNING OVER SEVERAL SECTIONS OF THE IPC; TECHNICAL SUBJECTS COVERED BY FORMER USPC CROSS-REFERENCE ART COLLECTIONS [XRACs] AND DIGESTS
- Y10—TECHNICAL SUBJECTS COVERED BY FORMER USPC
- Y10T—TECHNICAL SUBJECTS COVERED BY FORMER US CLASSIFICATION
- Y10T292/00—Closure fasteners
- Y10T292/0862—Swinging and hooked end, multiple head
I SHUTTER FASTBNER. I No. 343,333. Patented June 8, 1886.
I r I I I l I I I 1 I l l WITNESSES:
N. PETERS. Phomulho ra hur. wuhin mn. D. c
UNITED STATES PATENT OFFICE.
lVILLIAM M OONNELL, OF PHILADELPHIA, PENNSYLVANIA.
' SPECIFICATION forming part; of Letters Patent No. 343,333 dated June 8, 1886.
Application filed January 19. 1886. Serial No. 189,029. (No model.)
To ctZZ whom it may concern:
Be it known that 1, WILLIAM MoOoNNELL, a citizen of the United States, residing in the city and county of Philadelphia, State ofPennsylvania, have invented a new and useful Improvement in a Combined Shutter-Fastener and Turn-Buckle or Catch, which improvement is fully set forth in the following specification and accompanying drawings, in which the figures represent views of shutters closed and open, and the fastener and turn-buckle embodying my invention.
My invention consists of a device adapted for fastening a shutter in closed,bowed, or open positions, as will be hereinafter fully set forth.
Figure I shows the fastener in position to lock the shutter when closed. Fig. 2 shows the fastener in position to lock the shutter in its open position.
Referring to the drawings, A represents a shutter, which may be of any well-known form.
D represents a fastener consisting of a bar which is freely hung to the inside of the shutter, and having a hooked end which is adapted to engage with either of the staples O or O,secured to the inner window-sill. Projecting laterally from the body of the fastener behind the hooked end thereof are wings D D,having a rear concave face, a, which form handles by which the fastener may be readily grasped and manipulated.
When the shutter is closed, the hook is inserted in the staple O, thns'fastening or looking the shutter, and preventing its opening from the outside. a
When the hook is inserted in the staple O, the shutter is held in bowed position. When it is desired to close .the shutter, the hook is removed from said staple O and the fastener grasped by the wings D, and thereby drawn into the full extent,when the hook is inserted in the staple 0, thus fastening and locking the shutter, as before stated.
E represents a turn-buckle or catch,the same having on the outer end of the shank a nose, F, the side of which faces the hinge of the shutter to be held extending diagonally.
In opening the shutter the back of the hook of the fastener strikes the diagonal side of the nose of the catch and rides on the same until it reaches the inner end or shoulder,G, thereof, when the nose drops behind said shoulder, as in Fig. 2, thus locking the fastener to the turnbuckle.
\Vhen the shutter is to be closed,the fastener is moved laterally so as to clear the shoulder G, and then raised and grasped by the wings D, after which the shutter is drawn in by the fastener, and then entirely closed or bowed,as desired.
It will be seen that the device is of inexpensive construction and may be easily and quickly operated, and retains its position, owing to the wings D, which act in a measure as stops, preventing lateral motion of the bar comprising the fastener.
Having thus described my invention, what I claim as new, and desire to secure by Letters Patent, is
A shutter-fastener formed of a bar having an eye by which it may be pivotally secured to a shutter, a hook for engagement with a staple or staples secured to a window-frame, and side wings which project laterally, substantially as and for the purpose set forth.
JOHN A. WIEDERsHEIM, A. P. GRANT.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US343333A true US343333A (en)||1886-06-08|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US343333D Expired - Lifetime US343333A (en)||Shutter-fastener|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US343333A (en)|
- US US343333D patent/US343333A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US877272A (en)||Burglar-proof blind-lock.|
|US1255996A (en)||Door or window securer.|
|US366151A (en)||Look hinge|
|US232789A (en)||Allen m|
|US600718A (en)||Window-shutter fastener|
|US157226A (en)||Improvement in shutter and window fasteners|
|US755627A (en)||Fastener for blinds, shutters, doors, or the like.|
|US607495A (en)||Sliding-door fastener|
|US332495A (en)||Door or shutter fastener|
|US175381A (en)||Improvement in shutter and door fasteners|