US187738A - Improvement in door-springs - Google PatentsImprovement in door-springs Download PDF
- Publication number
- US187738A US187738A US187738DA US187738A US 187738 A US187738 A US 187738A US 187738D A US187738D A US 187738DA US 187738 A US187738 A US 187738A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 230000000875 corresponding Effects 0.000 description 4
- 230000004048 modification Effects 0.000 description 2
- 238000006011 modification reaction Methods 0.000 description 2
- 230000001264 neutralization Effects 0.000 description 2
- E—FIXED CONSTRUCTIONS
- E05—LOCKS; KEYS; WINDOW OR DOOR FITTINGS; SAFES
- E05F—DEVICES FOR MOVING WINGS INTO OPEN OR CLOSED POSITION; CHECKS FOR WINGS; WING FITTINGS NOT OTHERWISE PROVIDED FOR, CONCERNED WITH THE FUNCTIONING OF THE WING
- E05F1/00—Closers or openers for wings, not otherwise provided for in this subclass
- E05F1/08—Closers or openers for wings, not otherwise provided for in this subclass spring-actuated, e.g. for horizontally sliding wings
- E05F1/10—Closers or openers for wings, not otherwise provided for in this subclass spring-actuated, e.g. for horizontally sliding wings for swinging wings, e.g. counterbalance
- E05F1/1041—Closers or openers for wings, not otherwise provided for in this subclass spring-actuated, e.g. for horizontally sliding wings for swinging wings, e.g. counterbalance with a coil spring perpendicular to the pivot axis
- E05F1/1066—Closers or openers for wings, not otherwise provided for in this subclass spring-actuated, e.g. for horizontally sliding wings for swinging wings, e.g. counterbalance with a coil spring perpendicular to the pivot axis with a traction spring
- Y—GENERAL TAGGING OF NEW TECHNOLOGICAL DEVELOPMENTS; GENERAL TAGGING OF CROSS-SECTIONAL TECHNOLOGIES SPANNING OVER SEVERAL SECTIONS OF THE IPC; TECHNICAL SUBJECTS COVERED BY FORMER USPC CROSS-REFERENCE ART COLLECTIONS [XRACs] AND DIGESTS
- Y10—TECHNICAL SUBJECTS COVERED BY FORMER USPC
- Y10T—TECHNICAL SUBJECTS COVERED BY FORMER US CLASSIFICATION
- Y10T16/00—Miscellaneous hardware [e.g., bushing, carpet fastener, caster, door closer, panel hanger, attachable or adjunct handle, hinge, window sash balance, etc.]
- Y10T16/585—Spring and lever
`b. gis a plate, secured to the door.
UNITED STATES PATENT GFFICE.
GEORGE E. SUTPHEN, OF AURORA, ILLINOIS.
IMPROVEMENT IN DOORSPRINGS.
Specification forming part of Letters Patent No. 187,738, dated February 27, 1877; application filed June 19, 1876.
To all whom't't may concern:
Be it known that 1, GEORGE E ASUTPHEN,
ofAurora, Kane county, State of Illinois, have invented new and useful Improvements in lDoor-Springs, of which the following is a full description, reference being had to the accompanying drawings, invwhich- Figure lis an elevation, showing the device attached to a door; Figs. 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6, details, Fig. 4 being a top view of the plate g, and Fig. 5 a top View ofthe leverf; Fig. 7, a modification.
This invention relates to door-springs; and consists in a plate provided with a projection or catch, and a lever or rod having a projection or catch, combined with a spring, as will be hereinafter more fully described.
In the drawings, A represents the doorframe, and B the door with my device applied thereto. a is a coilfspring. b is a rod, which passes through the spring, and its ends extend beyond the ends ot' the spring. c d are two brackets, each provided with an ear,e, through which the rod b passes, and in which it can rotate. Both ends of the rod b are made manysided instead of round-as represented, these ends are six-sidedand the upper end extends above the bracket c, andthe lower end below the bracket d. One of the brackets, d, as shown, is provided upon the inside with a recess,j, to receive one end ofthe coil-spring a. The other end of this-spring is permanently secured to the rod b. fis a rod or lever, one end of which has amany sided opening,j, corresponding to the Jr'orm ot' the end of the rod h is a catch or projection onl the plate g. t' is a corresponding projection on, or notch in, the leverf, to engage with the catch h.
In use, the brackets are to be secured to the door-frame, thereby holding the spring al and rod b in place, the spring being between the two brackets. In this position the spring is neutral. By means of a socket-wrench ap- When the door is opened wide, the projection or catch i of the leverfwill slide over and engage with the catch h upon the plate g, and hold the door open.
It' the projection h or catch t' be made beveling, the door can be closed by using a gentle force; but if they are made straight it will be necessary to lift the end ot' the lever for this purpose.
The door may be held open by means of a hook secured to the plate g, as shown iu Fig. 7 5 but in this case it will be necessaryto remove the leverf, and give the proper tension by turning the rod b. from right to left, and then replace the lever. sion of the spring will hold the door open, and it will be necessary to close it by the use of force.
The tension of the spring can be adjusted at any time, as may be desired, by means of the wrench.
The spring can .be used either with right or 'left handed doors Without any change.
What I claim as new, and desire to secure by Letters Patent, is as follows:
In a doom-spring, the plate g, provided with a projection or catch, h, and a lever or rod, j", provided with a projection or notch, t', in combination with the spring a, substantially as and for the purpose specified.
y eEoEeE E. sUTPHEN. d
R. W. GATES, B. F. HEERINGTON.
In this case the ten.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US187738A true US187738A (en)||1877-02-27|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US187738D Expired - Lifetime US187738A (en)||Improvement in door-springs|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US187738A (en)|
- US US187738D patent/US187738A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US1850602A (en)||Fastening device for doors|
|US187738A (en)||Improvement in door-springs|
|US568638A (en)||Catch for swinging doors|
|US1570641A (en)||Door-control mechanism|
|US304545A (en)||Operating storm-doors|
|US1579751A (en)||Double-swing-door operating device|
|US437115A (en)||Transom lifter|
|US1132027A (en)||Device for operating doors.|
|US426960A (en)||Shutter worker and fastener|
|US681967A (en)||Window-blind regulator.|
|US1732555A (en)||Reversible door mounting|
|US1149406A (en)||Gate-operating device.|
|US615950A (en)||Robert k barger|