US280035A - Geoege hayes - Google PatentsGeoege hayes Download PDF
- Publication number
- US280035A US280035A US280035DA US280035A US 280035 A US280035 A US 280035A US 280035D A US280035D A US 280035DA US 280035 A US280035 A US 280035A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 241000658540 Ora Species 0.000 description 1
- 241001313871 Puma Species 0.000 description 1
- 230000004048 modification Effects 0.000 description 1
- 238000006011 modification reaction Methods 0.000 description 1
- F—MECHANICAL ENGINEERING; LIGHTING; HEATING; WEAPONS; BLASTING
- F16—ENGINEERING ELEMENTS AND UNITS; GENERAL MEASURES FOR PRODUCING AND MAINTAINING EFFECTIVE FUNCTIONING OF MACHINES OR INSTALLATIONS; THERMAL INSULATION IN GENERAL
- F16H19/00—Gearings comprising essentially only toothed gears or friction members and not capable of conveying indefinitely-continuing rotary motion
- F16H19/02—Gearings comprising essentially only toothed gears or friction members and not capable of conveying indefinitely-continuing rotary motion for interconverting rotary or oscillating motion and reciprocating motion
- F16H19/06—Gearings comprising essentially only toothed gears or friction members and not capable of conveying indefinitely-continuing rotary motion for interconverting rotary or oscillating motion and reciprocating motion comprising flexible members, e.g. an endless flexible member
- Y—GENERAL TAGGING OF NEW TECHNOLOGICAL DEVELOPMENTS; GENERAL TAGGING OF CROSS-SECTIONAL TECHNOLOGIES SPANNING OVER SEVERAL SECTIONS OF THE IPC; TECHNICAL SUBJECTS COVERED BY FORMER USPC CROSS-REFERENCE ART COLLECTIONS [XRACs] AND DIGESTS
- Y10—TECHNICAL SUBJECTS COVERED BY FORMER USPC
- Y10T—TECHNICAL SUBJECTS COVERED BY FORMER US CLASSIFICATION
- Y10T74/00—Machine element or mechanism
- Y10T74/18—Mechanical movements
- Y10T74/18568—Reciprocating or oscillating to or from alternating rotary
- Y10T74/18832—Reciprocating or oscillating to or from alternating rotary including flexible drive connector [e.g., belt, chain, strand, etc.]
- Y10T74/18848—Reciprocating or oscillating to or from alternating rotary including flexible drive connector [e.g., belt, chain, strand, etc.] with pulley
No. 280,035. Patented June 26, 1883.
ITMJ e766@ 1? w4 Puma mmmhogmwm. wmingm. uc
UNITED STATES GEORGE HAYEs, OE NEW YORK, N. Y.
SPECIFIQATION forming To all whom it may concern:
Be it known that I, GEORGE HAYEs, a resident of the city, county, and State of New York, have invented a new and. useful device for opening, closing, and self-locking (in either position) sashes or valves, of which the following is a specication.
rlhe nature of my invention consists in a device arranged in combination with the sash or valve of a turret, clear-story window, or any other place where it may be advantage ously employed, and by means of this device the sash or valve may be readily opened and closed and automatically locked in either position. The said device comprises the following elements, to wit: A lever or bar, one end of which is pivoted or hinged to the sash or valve; near its other end, beneath and hinged or pivoted to a lever or arm extending outward from (being attached to or upon) a shaft or axle supported bybrackets attached to the wall, casing, or other suitable part of the structure the lever attached to the sash is provided with an extension or projection extending out beyond the point of its attachment to the shaft lever or arm, which extension constitutes a stop or lock to prevent the dropping of the joint when the levers are extended and the sash open. their connection with the shaft or axle is such that when the sash is closed it cannot be opened from outside, being effectually locked shut. When open, the levers are extended in a line from the axle or shaft. The stop 7 on the sash-lever, by preventing the dropping of the joint, effectually holds the sash open and prevents its being closed by the wind, Src; The shaft or axle is rotated by cords, pole with hook end, or any other suitable means, so that the sash or valve may be quickly and easily opened or closed from any distance below. By extending the shaft and duplicating the levers, Sto., the same may be adapted to open and close a series of sashes or valves, as desired.
The combination of levers andl part of Letters Patent No. 280,035, dated June 26, 1883.v Application leaAprn 3, 1882. (No modem end ofthe vibrating arm by a joint with a stop projection. The other end of this link or thrust-lever is shown as attached to thesash by a joint or hinged connection:I Upon the shaft a series of vibrating or revolving arms are shown with the connecting-link or thrustlever connecting each with the sash, and there may be as many of these as there are sashes to be moved. Fig.2 is a detail view,- partially sectional, in which the entire combination of elements necessary to the complete device are shown in their proper connection. Dotted lines in this view are given to represent the movements" and positions of sash or valve When open. Fig. 3 is a View showing an cquivalent device in which a shaft may be dispensed with when used for one sash. j
Arepresents clear-story wall, to which are attached brackets B, supporting the shaft C, forming journal or bearings therefor.
D represents the wheel, arranged to be revolved or partially revolved with the shaft C, to which it is secured.
E represents the vibrating or revolving arm or spur-lever, attached to the shaft C or wheel or its drum equivalent.
F represents the connecting or thrust lever, joined to the arm E at G by a joint having the extension G as a stop to prevent the dropping of the joint when extended to full length, Aat which time the sash is open.
I-I represents the sash, pivoted or hinged either at center, top, or bottom, or any other suitable point, and to this is attached the connecting-lever-F by a hinged orA pivoted joint, about as at I.
In Fig. 3 is shown a modification. The operating-lever projects directly from the shaft or axle upon which it turns, (or with which) and an arm at an angle therewith is arranged for operating it by cord or hand.
What I claim, and desire to secure by Letters Patent of the United States, is
The combination consisting of sash H, lever or bar F, stop G, lever or arm E, shaft C, and wheel, drum, or revolving lever D, constructed and arranged to operate as shown and, de-
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US280035A true US280035A (en)||1883-06-26|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US280035D Expired - Lifetime US280035A (en)||Geoege hayes|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US280035A (en)|
- US US280035D patent/US280035A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US280035A (en)||Geoege hayes|
|US1148375A (en)||Casement-window operator.|
|US437115A (en)||Transom lifter|
|US898865A (en)||Door opener and closer.|
|US655891A (en)||Gate-operating mechanism.|
|US1371229A (en)||Door-operating mechanism|
|US259191A (en)||Combined shutter-worker and blind-slat operator|
|US194205A (en)||Improvement in transom-openers|
|US443962A (en)||Device for raising and lowering cellar-doors|
|US1161331A (en)||Shutter-operating device.|
|US328722A (en)||Asjignoe to sabgent|
|US681207A (en)||Transom lifter and lock.|
|US1096811A (en)||Storm-sash fastener.|
|US1082050A (en)||Gate-operating mechanism.|