US338062A - Farm-gate - Google PatentsFarm-gate Download PDF
- Publication number
- US338062A US338062A US338062DA US338062A US 338062 A US338062 A US 338062A US 338062D A US338062D A US 338062DA US 338062 A US338062 A US 338062A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 239000002965 rope Substances 0.000 description 2
- 238000010276 construction Methods 0.000 description 1
- 230000000875 corresponding Effects 0.000 description 1
- 230000036633 rest Effects 0.000 description 1
- 239000010902 straw Substances 0.000 description 1
- E—FIXED CONSTRUCTIONS
- E05—LOCKS; KEYS; WINDOW OR DOOR FITTINGS; SAFES
- E05F—DEVICES FOR MOVING WINGS INTO OPEN OR CLOSED POSITION; CHECKS FOR WINGS; WING FITTINGS NOT OTHERWISE PROVIDED FOR, CONCERNED WITH THE FUNCTIONING OF THE WING
- E05F1/00—Closers or openers for wings, not otherwise provided for in this subclass
- E05F1/08—Closers or openers for wings, not otherwise provided for in this subclass spring-actuated, e.g. for horizontally sliding wings
- E05F1/10—Closers or openers for wings, not otherwise provided for in this subclass spring-actuated, e.g. for horizontally sliding wings for swinging wings, e.g. counterbalance
- E05F1/1041—Closers or openers for wings, not otherwise provided for in this subclass spring-actuated, e.g. for horizontally sliding wings for swinging wings, e.g. counterbalance with a coil spring perpendicular to the pivot axis
- E05F1/1066—Closers or openers for wings, not otherwise provided for in this subclass spring-actuated, e.g. for horizontally sliding wings for swinging wings, e.g. counterbalance with a coil spring perpendicular to the pivot axis with a traction spring
- E05F1/1075—Closers or openers for wings, not otherwise provided for in this subclass spring-actuated, e.g. for horizontally sliding wings for swinging wings, e.g. counterbalance with a coil spring perpendicular to the pivot axis with a traction spring for counterbalancing
(ModelL) W. O. HAMNER.
No. 338,062. Patented Mar. 16, 1886.
wmmssns: @Ig/BNTOR: 6 W112? w ATTORNEYS.
N. PKTERS. HMO-Lithograph, Washington. I1. C,
NITED STATES XVILLIAM O. HAMNER, OF MORGANFIELD, KENTUCKY.
FJFECEFIUATION forming part of Letters Patent No. 338,062, dated March 16, 1886.
(ModeL) To all whom it may concern.-
Be it known that I, \VILLIAM O. HAMNER, of Morganfield, in the county of Union and State of Kentucky, have invented a new and Improved Farm-Gate, of which the following is a full, clear, and exact description.
The object of myinvention is to provide a new and improved farm-gate, which can be opened and closed some distance from either side of the gate by a pedestrian or a person in a vehicle or on horseback, and which gate is locked and unlocked automatically.
The invention consists in the construction and combination of parts and details, as will be fully set forth and described hereinafter, and pointed out in the claims.
Reference is to be had to the accompanying drawings, forming part of this specification, in
which similar letters of reference indicate corresponding parts in all the figures.
Figure l isaside view of my improved gate. Fig. 2 is a sectional plan view of the same. Fig. 3 is an enlarged detail view of the locking device.
The gate A is hung on a post, B, and its free end swings against a post, 0. The top rail, D, projects beyond the hinged end of the gate, and on the projecting end of the said top rail a lever, G, is pivoted, the inner end of which is connected by a rod or wire, F, with the upper end of a lever, E, pivoted on the gate, and passing through a notch, D, in one side edge of the top rail, D.
The sliding bolt H, passed through the swinging end part of the gate, is pivoted to thelever E, and is acted upon by a spring-rod, J, secured to the gate and bolt, and pressing the bolt in the direction of the swinging end of the gate.
On a cross-bar, K, on the inner side of the post 0, two latches, L, are pivoted at the outer ends of said cross-bar, and the latches are provided at their inner ends with notches M. The upper prongs, H, of the latches rest on pins N, projecting from the inner side of the post 0.
Some distance from each side of the gate a post, 0, is erected, against which the free end of the gate can swing, the said posts having stop-boards Q, against which the end of the gate can rest.
On the upper end of each post 0 an arm, P, is secured, having eyes Q, through which the ropes R are passed, which have rings or handles S on the outer ends, and theirinner ends are connected with the outer end of the lever G.
The operation is as follows: lVhen the gate is closed, the end of the bolt H is between the lower prongs, M, of the latches L. To open the gate eitherhandle S is drawn down, whereby the lever G is swung in such a manner as to swing the upper end of the lever E in the direction toward the hinged end of the gate, thus disengaging the bolt from the latches. W'hen the lever E rests against one end of the notch D, the said lever E cannot be swung farther, and by continued drawing of thehandle S the gate is swung in the-direction from the person and against the post 0, opposite the one at which the handle is being pulled. The person can pass the gate, and after having passed, the other handle S is drawn and the gate swung against the post 0. The end of the bolt H striking the bottom of a latch, L, raises it, and after thebolt H has passed the inner end of the latch it drops, and the boltis thus held between the inner ends ofthelatches and is locked automatically. The pins N prevent the latches L from dropping too far.
By pivoting the arms P so that they extend out over the road, the handles S are brought within easy reach of a driver, who can operate the gate-opening mechanism withoutleaving his seat. The arm P can easilybe pushed back when loads of hay, straw, &c., pass through the gate, so that the fullwidth ofthe road may be had. If the arms extended into the road and were not pivoted, travel would be interfered with, and the said arms would be broken off.
I am aware that a gate-has had a bar extend ing from its rear end, on which were levers connecting the same with the gate-latch, the posts at opposite sides of the gate having pivoted levers provided with ropes for operating the gate and its latch; and I do not claim the same as of my invention.
Having thus described my invention, I claim as new and desire to secure by Letters Patent 1. The combination, with the gate hinged to a post, B, the top rail of the gate extending over the top of said post, thelatch H, the ver 2 I t 338,062 I i L,
tica-l lever E, the horizontal lever G, pivoted and a lever for operating the latch,of the side on the extension of the top rail, the rod F, posts, 0 O, the arms 1?, pivoted at their inner connecting the lever E with the inner end of ends to said posts,the guides Q Qon the arms,
the horizontal lever G, and the posts 0 O at and the cords B, said cords being connected 15 5 oppositesides of the post 13, of the arms P, pivwith the gate-latoh-operating lever and exoted to the posts at theirinner ends, the guides tending longitudinally over the arms 1? and Q on said arms, and the cords R, connected to through the guides Q,substantially as setforth.
the outer end of the horizontal lever and eX- WILLIAM C. HAMNER. tending through the guides on the arms P P, Vitnesses: ro substantially as set forth. KEN. CHAPEZE,
2. The combination, with a gate, its latch, l 1 J. J. CONN.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US338062A true US338062A (en)||1886-03-16|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US338062D Expired - Lifetime US338062A (en)||Farm-gate|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US338062A (en)|
- US US338062D patent/US338062A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US176316A (en)||Improvement in gate-latches|
|US200555A (en)||Improvement in gates|
|US198369A (en)||Improvement in gates|
|US724933A (en)||Swinging gate.|
|US143551A (en)||Improvement in automatic gates|
|US147952A (en)||Improvement in farm-gates|
|US369644A (en)||Samuel fbancis kniss|
|US186715A (en)||Improvement in gate-latches|
|US208746A (en)||Improvement in gates|
|US471193A (en)||Of cameron|
|US482218A (en)||Swinging gate|
|US233724A (en)||Said allen d|
|US363180A (en)||Swinging gate|
|US372474A (en)||Road or farm gate|
|US265258A (en)||Swinging and lifting gate|