US316425A - Luthee beckwith wood - Google PatentsLuthee beckwith wood Download PDF
- Publication number
- US316425A US316425A US316425DA US316425A US 316425 A US316425 A US 316425A US 316425D A US316425D A US 316425DA US 316425 A US316425 A US 316425A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 239000002023 wood Substances 0.000 title description 3
- 241001465382 Physalis alkekengi Species 0.000 description 12
- 239000003921 oil Substances 0.000 description 7
- 238000010276 construction Methods 0.000 description 3
- 239000000295 fuel oil Substances 0.000 description 2
- 238000010438 heat treatment Methods 0.000 description 2
- 238000010792 warming Methods 0.000 description 2
- 208000002193 Pain Diseases 0.000 description 1
- 240000003085 Quassia amara Species 0.000 description 1
- 230000000875 corresponding Effects 0.000 description 1
- 230000000694 effects Effects 0.000 description 1
- 150000002500 ions Chemical class 0.000 description 1
- 239000010699 lard oil Substances 0.000 description 1
- 230000001105 regulatory Effects 0.000 description 1
- F—MECHANICAL ENGINEERING; LIGHTING; HEATING; WEAPONS; BLASTING
- F21L—LIGHTING DEVICES OR SYSTEMS THEREOF, BEING PORTABLE OR SPECIALLY ADAPTED FOR TRANSPORTATION
- F21L19/00—Lanterns, e.g. hurricane lamps or candle lamps
(,No Model.) I
L. B. WOOD.
No. 316,425. Patented Apr. 21, 1885.
a a an &
UNrrnn Smarts ATENT @FFICE.
LUTHER BEOKWITH \VOOD, OF OMAHA, NEBRASKA.
QPECIPICAI'ION forming part of Letters Patent No. 316,425, dated April 21, 1885.
Application filed September 8, 1884. (No model.)
To aZZ whom it may concern:
Be it known that I, LUTHER BEOKWITH WOOD, of Omaha, in the county of Douglas and State of Nebraska, have invented a new and Improved. Lantern, of which the following is a full, clear, and exact description.
This invention relates to a lantern designed to burn lard-oil or other heavy oil of that class in which means are employed for conducting heat from the frame of the lantern to the oil for warming it in the cup or oilreservoir of the lantern.
The invention consists of the construction, arrangement, and combination of parts, all as hereinafter described and claimed.
Reference is to be had to the accompanying drawings, forming part of this specification, in which similar letters of reference indicate corresponding parts in all the figures.
Figure 1 is a sectional elevation of a lantern having my invention applied thereto. Fig. 2 is a detailed side elevation of a part of the same. Fig. 3 is a sectional plan view taken on the line at x of Fig. 1, and Fig. 4Lis a plan view of the burner and oil cup or reservoir of the lantern.
The frame A, globe B, ventilating or draft top 0, and oil cup or reservoir D, with base D, may be of the usual or of any approved construction, except that the cup D is provided with the draft or heating tubes E. The burner F, with the wic'iz-tubes f f, is also of ordinary construction. The tubes E are bent to form the longer arms eand shorter arms 6, and are by preference enlarged to form the heat-chambers c and the tubes E are fitted in the top 01 of the oilcup D in such a manner that the longer arms 6 reach up to or into the draft top O and the arms'e a short distance above the top-d, thus leaving the fold of the pipes and the chambers cinclosed in the oilcup D, as shown clearly in Fig. 1.
Upon the upper ends of the arms 6' are placed the short pipes or tubes b b, which are by preference enlarged at their upper ends, as
shown at c, and bent so as to stand nearly over the wick-tubes f, so that heat from the flame of the lamp may be drawn into the pipes b by the draft created by the long arms 6 of the tubes E, and pass thence down into and through the tubes E and heat the oil contained in the oil-cup. The chambers c serve to retain the heat in its passage through the tubes E, and thus effect a more perfect and thorough warming or heating of the oil.
The temperature of the oil may be regulated by turning the tubes a greater or less distance from the flame.
In this manner the lantern is made to heat its own oil, so that very heavy oil may be used in the lantern with very satisfactory results.
I am aware that a lamp has been provided with a bent tube, the bent portion being with in the oil-chamber, the short arm of the tube having a bell-mouth extending over the wicktube, and I do not claim such, broadly, as of my invention.
Having thus described my invention, what I claim as new, and desire to secure by Letters Patent, is-
1. The combination, with a lantern, of the bent tubes E, consisting of the long arms e, extending to the upper end of the lantern, the short arms 6, extending above the wick-tubes, and the enlargements or chambers 6 said chambers and the bent portions being within the oil-vessel, substantially as set forth.
2. Alantern constructed with the bent tubes E, formed with long and short arms 6 c and enlargements or chambers 6 the bent portions and the enlargements being within the oil-chamber, and the short curved pipes 12, held to turn on the short arms 6, and having flaring months 0, extending over the wicktubes, substantially as set forth.
LUTHER BEGKWITH WOOD.
EDWARD J. Connrsn, 0. l1. S UIRns.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US316425A true US316425A (en)||1885-04-21|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US316425D Expired - Lifetime US316425A (en)||Luthee beckwith wood|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US316425A (en)|
- US US316425D patent/US316425A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US316425A (en)||Luthee beckwith wood|
|US142432A (en)||William s|
|US189100A (en)||Improvement in night-lamps|
|US41172A (en)||Improvement in lamp-burners|
|US107741A (en)||Improvement in vapor-burners|
|US179548A (en)||Improvement in lamps and lanterns|
|US49752A (en)||Improvement in lamps|
|US187828A (en)||Improvement in kerosene-lamps|
|US40566A (en)||Improvement in lamps|
|US111893A (en)||Improvement in vapor-burners|
|US116385A (en)||Improvement in vapor-burners|
|US86694A (en)||Improvement in lamp-burners|
|US835859A (en)||Gas-generating attachment for oil-lamps.|
|US799223A (en)||Liquid-fuel burner.|
|US596765A (en)||Vapor-lam p|
|US744453A (en)||Spreader for oil-burners.|
|US39413A (en)||Improved lamp-burner|
|US133051A (en)||Improvement in vapor-burners|
|US214960A (en)||Improvement in lamp-burners|
|US82495A (en)||William k|