US187928A - Improvement in pipe-tongs - Google PatentsImprovement in pipe-tongs Download PDF
- Publication number
- US187928A US187928A US187928DA US187928A US 187928 A US187928 A US 187928A US 187928D A US187928D A US 187928DA US 187928 A US187928 A US 187928A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 239000002184 metal Substances 0.000 description 6
- 210000001847 Jaw Anatomy 0.000 description 4
- 238000010276 construction Methods 0.000 description 4
- 206010022114 Injury Diseases 0.000 description 2
- B—PERFORMING OPERATIONS; TRANSPORTING
- B25—HAND TOOLS; PORTABLE POWER-DRIVEN TOOLS; MANIPULATORS
- B25B—TOOLS OR BENCH DEVICES NOT OTHERWISE PROVIDED FOR, FOR FASTENING, CONNECTING, DISENGAGING OR HOLDING
- B25B13/00—Spanners; Wrenches
- B25B13/48—Spanners; Wrenches for special purposes
- B25B13/50—Spanners; Wrenches for special purposes for operating on work of special profile, e.g. pipes
- B25B13/5008—Spanners; Wrenches for special purposes for operating on work of special profile, e.g. pipes for operating on pipes or cylindrical objects
- B25B13/5016—Spanners; Wrenches for special purposes for operating on work of special profile, e.g. pipes for operating on pipes or cylindrical objects by externally gripping the pipe
- B25B13/5025—Spanners; Wrenches for special purposes for operating on work of special profile, e.g. pipes for operating on pipes or cylindrical objects by externally gripping the pipe using a pipe wrench type tool
- B25B13/5041—Spanners; Wrenches for special purposes for operating on work of special profile, e.g. pipes for operating on pipes or cylindrical objects by externally gripping the pipe using a pipe wrench type tool with movable or adjustable jaws
- B25B13/505—Pivotally moving or adjustable
W. A. St. JOHN, W.'M. ROBINSON & J'- SHEPARD.
No.187,928. Patented Feb. 2 7, 1877.
N. PETERS, PHUTOLITHOGRAPHER, WASHINGTON u C UNITED STATES PATENT OFFICE.
WILLIAM A. ST. JOHN, WILLIAM M. ROBINSON, AND JOHN SHEPARD, OF OARMI, ILLINOIS.
IMPROVEMENT IN PlPE-TONGS.
Specification forming part of Letters Patent No. 187,928, dated February 27,1877; application filed February 12!, 1877'.
To all whom it may concern:
Be it known that we, WILLIAM A. ST. JOHN, WILLIAM M. ROBINSON, and JOHN SHEPARD, all of Garmi, in the county of White and State of Illinois, have invented a new and valuable Improvement in Pipe Tongs; and we do hereby declare that the following isa full, clear, and exact description of the construction and operation of the same, reference being had to the annexed drawings, making a part of this specification, and to the letters and figures of reference marked thereon.
Figure 1 of the drawings is a representation of a side view of our pipe-tongs. Fig. 2 is a perspective view of the same, and Fig. 3 is a front view of the same.
This invention has relation to self-adjustin g pipe-wrenches; and it consists in the peculiar construction of the curved loop-dog, as will be hereinafter shown and described.
In the accompanying drawings, A repre' sents the loop-dog of our pipe-wrench, extend iug transversely at its central portion to form the bit a, and bent at right angles at'the ends of said bit, in the form of curved branches B, which extend alongside and are pivoted to opposite'sides of the serrated lever end b.
The advantage of this wrench is, that the loop-dog A is forged of one piece, thereby enabling it to be more easily repaired than if it were composed of two or more pieces riveted together.
On account of the broad transverse bit a,
the wrench will hold the pipe firmly without injury to its surface, and the bite will be in the direction of the pipe. Furthermore, the amount of metal employed in constructing the dog is disposed in the direction of the strain, being between the pivot and the bit ends.
We are aware that a bifurcated jaw or dog formed of two pieces, riveted together, is shown in Letters Patent granted to Wm. Kenyon, J r., dated February 18, 1868, No. 74,697 and we are also aware that jaws have been formed of one piece of metal, bifurcated at its lower end by cutting out a portion thereof, as shown in the patent granted to Richard Cox, dated May 15, 1866. We claim neither of these inventions, broadly. 7
What we claim as new, and desire to secure by Letters Patent, is-
The hook A, constructed of a single bar of metal, bent at its middle to form the connecting-bar a, and having the curved arms B B, pivoted to the handle I), substantially as described.
In testimony that we claim the above we have hereunto subscribed our names in the presence of two witnesses.
WILLIAM A. ST. JOHN. WILLIAM M. ROBINSON. JOHN SHEPARD. Witnesses:
ALLEN BLEAKLEY, CHARLES PARKHURST.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US187928A true US187928A (en)||1877-02-27|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US187928D Expired - Lifetime US187928A (en)||Improvement in pipe-tongs|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US187928A (en)|
- US US187928D patent/US187928A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US187928A (en)||Improvement in pipe-tongs|
|US507973A (en)||Israel w|
|US334387A (en)||Heney l|
|US177100A (en)||Improvement in pipe-tongs|
|US427127A (en)||Blacksmith s tongs|
|US714364A (en)||Automatic grip-wrench.|
|US202089A (en)||Improvement in pipe-tongs|
|US573637A (en)||Henry c|
|US328167A (en)||Eichaed exelby williams|
|US138161A (en)||Improvement in pipe-tongs|
|US346299A (en)||Thomas d|
|US441020A (en)||District of|
|US412362A (en)||Shears for cutting metal|
|US159234A (en)||Improvement in pipe-wrenches|
|US191666A (en)||Improvement in pipe-wrenches|