US191666A - Improvement in pipe-wrenches - Google PatentsImprovement in pipe-wrenches Download PDF
- Publication number
- US191666A US191666A US191666DA US191666A US 191666 A US191666 A US 191666A US 191666D A US191666D A US 191666DA US 191666 A US191666 A US 191666A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 210000001847 Jaw Anatomy 0.000 description 16
- 238000010276 construction Methods 0.000 description 6
- 239000002184 metal Substances 0.000 description 2
- B—PERFORMING OPERATIONS; TRANSPORTING
- B25—HAND TOOLS; PORTABLE POWER-DRIVEN TOOLS; MANIPULATORS
- B25B—TOOLS OR BENCH DEVICES NOT OTHERWISE PROVIDED FOR, FOR FASTENING, CONNECTING, DISENGAGING OR HOLDING
- B25B13/00—Spanners; Wrenches
- B25B13/48—Spanners; Wrenches for special purposes
- B25B13/50—Spanners; Wrenches for special purposes for operating on work of special profile, e.g. pipes
- B25B13/5008—Spanners; Wrenches for special purposes for operating on work of special profile, e.g. pipes for operating on pipes or cylindrical objects
- B25B13/5016—Spanners; Wrenches for special purposes for operating on work of special profile, e.g. pipes for operating on pipes or cylindrical objects by externally gripping the pipe
- B25B13/5025—Spanners; Wrenches for special purposes for operating on work of special profile, e.g. pipes for operating on pipes or cylindrical objects by externally gripping the pipe using a pipe wrench type tool
- B25B13/5041—Spanners; Wrenches for special purposes for operating on work of special profile, e.g. pipes for operating on pipes or cylindrical objects by externally gripping the pipe using a pipe wrench type tool with movable or adjustable jaws
- B25B13/505—Pivotally moving or adjustable
No. 191,666. Patented June 5,1877.
T SES INVENTOR 1 -7 h'u I v v YT 6,; e 6;; W
N- PETERS; PHOTO UTHOGRAPHER, WASHINGTON, D C.
UNITED STATES PATENT OFFICE.-
GEORGE FLETCHER, OF HUME, ASSIGNOR OF ONE-HALF HIS RIGHT TO JASON S. BISHOP, OF FILLMORE, NEW YORK.
I MPROVEMENT IN PlPE-WRENCHES.
Specification forming part of Letters Patent No. [91,666, dated June 5, 1877 application filed May 19, 1877.
To all whom it may concern Be it known that I, GEORGE FLETCHER, of Hume, in the county ,of Allegany and State of- New York, have invented a new and valuable Improvement in Pipe-Wrenches; and I do hereby declare that the following is a full, clear, and exact description of the construction and operation of the same, reference being had to the annexed drawings, making a part of this specification, and to the letters and figures of reference marked thereon.
Figure 1 of the drawings is a representation of a perspective view of my pipe-wrench.
The nature of my invention consists in the construction and arrangement of g a pipewrench, as will be hereinafter more fully set forth. a
The annexed drawing, to which reference is made, fully illustrates my invention.
A represents the handle or lever of my pipe-wrench, provided on the end with a head,
B. This head is somewhat in spear-shape,
with two convex faces, a a, both of which are serrated or toothed transversely, as shown.
On the neck of this double head B is pivoted a metal frame, (J, which straddles the head, and has its ends curved to form the jaws D D. These jaws are curved to form arcs of circles of different diameter, making one jaw larger than the other, and the frame 0, of which said jaws form apart, is pivoted to one side of the center, so that the larger jaw will have the longest distance to the pivot, as shown in the drawing.
By this construction of the parts the wrench is adapted to pipes of different sizes, and, when adjusted to a pipe, will take a firm and secure hold on the same.
The open frame 0, curved on arcs of circles at its ends, with the cross-bars at the ends forming the jaws D D, as described, straddles the head and neck thereof, and does not necessitate any slot or mortise, which would be apt to weaken the wrench. It is easily made, and forms strong and durable jaws to act in conjunction with the double head B.
What I claim as new, and desire to secure by Letters Patent, is
In a pipe-wrench, the combination, with the lever or handle A, of the double head B, having transverse teeth or serrations on both its faces a a, and the open frame 0, straddling the head, pivoted to one side of its center, and having its ends curved to form the jaws D D upon arcs of circles of unequal diameter, substantially as andfor the purposes herein set forth.
In testimony that I claim the above 1 have hereunto subscribed my name in the presence of two witnesses.
Witnesses: O. E. INGHAM, A. A. YAGER.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US191666A true US191666A (en)||1877-06-05|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US191666D Expired - Lifetime US191666A (en)||Improvement in pipe-wrenches|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US191666A (en)|
- US US191666D patent/US191666A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US191666A (en)||Improvement in pipe-wrenches|
|US200971A (en)||Improvement in wrenches|
|US328167A (en)||Eichaed exelby williams|
|US159234A (en)||Improvement in pipe-wrenches|
|US334387A (en)||Heney l|
|US573637A (en)||Henry c|
|US145263A (en)||Improvement in pipe-wrenches|
|US1123598A (en)||Pipe and rod wrench.|
|US591325A (en)||Edward bernhard charlet|
|US461032A (en)||Charles miller|
|US336468A (en)||Senand michael e|
|US576109A (en)||William c|
|US572757A (en)||Ambrose f|
|US902025A (en)||Chain wrench.|