US574724A - Mtjrat k - Google PatentsMtjrat k Download PDF
- Publication number
- US574724A US574724A US574724DA US574724A US 574724 A US574724 A US 574724A US 574724D A US574724D A US 574724DA US 574724 A US574724 A US 574724A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 210000001847 Jaw Anatomy 0.000 description 68
- 210000001699 lower leg Anatomy 0.000 description 28
- 238000010276 construction Methods 0.000 description 2
- 230000000875 corresponding Effects 0.000 description 2
- B—PERFORMING OPERATIONS; TRANSPORTING
- B25—HAND TOOLS; PORTABLE POWER-DRIVEN TOOLS; MANIPULATORS
- B25B—TOOLS OR BENCH DEVICES NOT OTHERWISE PROVIDED FOR, FOR FASTENING, CONNECTING, DISENGAGING OR HOLDING
- B25B13/00—Spanners; Wrenches
- B25B13/48—Spanners; Wrenches for special purposes
- B25B13/50—Spanners; Wrenches for special purposes for operating on work of special profile, e.g. pipes
- B25B13/5008—Spanners; Wrenches for special purposes for operating on work of special profile, e.g. pipes for operating on pipes or cylindrical objects
- B25B13/5016—Spanners; Wrenches for special purposes for operating on work of special profile, e.g. pipes for operating on pipes or cylindrical objects by externally gripping the pipe
- B25B13/5025—Spanners; Wrenches for special purposes for operating on work of special profile, e.g. pipes for operating on pipes or cylindrical objects by externally gripping the pipe using a pipe wrench type tool
- B25B13/5041—Spanners; Wrenches for special purposes for operating on work of special profile, e.g. pipes for operating on pipes or cylindrical objects by externally gripping the pipe using a pipe wrench type tool with movable or adjustable jaws
- B25B13/5058—Linearly moving or adjustable, e.g. with an additional small tilting or rocking movement
M. K. PLYE;
j- Patented Jan. 5, 1897.
a 6 .7 15 4 2 7 4' 7 5 O N ATTORNEYS.
' 'State of Texas, have invented certain new UNITED STATES MURAT K. FLYE, OF SHARPSBURG, TEXAS, ASSIGNOR or ONE-HALF, TO
SIDNEY GATL BORDEN, OF SAME PLACE.
WRENCHQ y SPECIFICATION forming part of Letters Patent No.574/724, dated January 5, 1897.
Application filed March 16, 1896. Serial Hui-583,403. on; model.)
To (ZZZ whom it may concern.-
Be it known that I, MURAT K. FLYE, of
Sharpsburg, in the county'of San Patricio and and useful Improvements in Wrenches, of
' I which the followin g is a full, clear, and exact description.
The-object of the invention is to provide a wrench of simple and strong construction and capable of use either, as a pipe-wrench or monkey-wrench and a further object is to provide a novel and convenient adjustment for the movable jaw.
The invention consists in the novel features hereinafter particularly described, and defined in the claims.
Reference is to be had to the accompanying drawings, forming a part of this specification,
in which similar characters of reference indicate corresponding parts in all the figures.
Figurel is a perspective view of a wrench constructed in accordance with my invention,
the movable jaw being shown adapted for use as a pipe-wrench. Fig. 2 is a perspective view showing the movable jaw in position to adapt the wrench for use as a monkey-wrench and locked in such position; and Fig. 3 is a side elevation, partly in section, illustrating the use of the wrench as a pipe-wrench.
The main shank or body A has a suitable handle a and a fixed jaw A, the latter being preferably at right angles to the shank.
To the shank A is slidably connected the shank B,provided with the jaw B, also at right angles to its shank, the connection with shank A being effected by a yoke O, to which the shank B is rigidly secured, as by bolts 12.
The yoke G in the present instance consists of two side plates, as shown, spaced by shank B at the bottom and by a block 0' at the top above shank A. The plates forming the yoke O are formed with longitudinal slots 0, and in these slots a cam-lever D is movable, being held between the said plates by a bolt d, which pivots said lever.
When the lever is located at the rear end of the slots 0, that is, at a point farthest removed from the jaw B, as in Figs. 1 and 3, the wrench is very efficient as a pipe' wrench. It will be seen that with the parts thus adjusted, the yoke O, carrying the shank and able rocking movement withthe cam-lever as a center, the rocking movement being facilitated bythe beveled rear endof b of theshank B. With the. parts in about the posi movable jaw B B, is permitted a considerl tion shown in Fig. 1, the jaws being at con-v 1 siderable of an angle to. each other, the wrench is approximately adjusted to the pipe to be wrenched, and upon throwing down the cam-lever the shank B is brought slightly closer to theshank A, thus bringing the jaws somewhat nearer parallelism and thereby effecting a closer adjustment, as indicated in Fig. 3. down to grasp the pipe, a firm engagement with the latter is effected, owing to the nearer ,When, now, the wrench is thrown approach of the jaws to parallelism, aswill be readily understood. A quick disengagement is effected by raising the cam-lever.
With the cam-lever shifted to the forward end of the slots 0, as in Fig. 2, the sliding shank B is brought close to the main-shank, and after adjusting the wrench to a nut or the like the lever is thrown down, clamping the movable jaw in place, with both jaws at right angles to the body of the wrench and in parallelism with each other. Thus an effective monkey-wrench is provided and one ca pable of an exact adjustment. In this position it will be seen no rocking movement of the movable jaw can occur.
' The opposing faces of the jaws are oppositely serrated, that is, the teeth of one alternate with the teeth of the other.
Having thus described my invention, I claim as new and desire to secure by Letters Patent- 1. A wrench, comprisinga fixed jaw, a mov able jaw loosely mounted on the fixed jaw, and a clamping device for locking the movable jaw in position on the fixed jaw, said clamping device being adjustable longitudinally of the movable jaw and serving when in one position as fulcrum for said movable jaw, substantially as described.
2. A wrench,comprising a fixed jaw, a movable jaw loosely and slidably mounted on the fixed j aw, and a clamping device carried by the movable jaw for looking it in position on the fixed jaw, said clamping device having sliding movement and servingwhen in one posidevice constituting in one position a rocking point for the movable jaw, substantially as described.
5. A wrench having one of its jaws slidably and pivotally mounted and having a camlever for locking the said jaw in position, the cam-lever having also a slidingmovement to adjust its position,substantially as described.
6. A wrench, comprisinga fixed jaw, a yoke loosely mounted on the shank of the fixed jaw, a jaw secured to said yoke, anda camlever mounted to slide in longitudinal ways in the yoke, substantially as described.
7. A wrench,comprising a fixed jaw, a yoke loosely mounted on the shank of the fixed jaw and provided with longitudinal slots, a jaw rigidly secured to the yoke, a cam-lever, and a bolt passing through the cam-lever and slots of the yoke, substantially as described.
MURAT K. FLYE.
J N0. S. MOCAMPBELL, S. G. BORDEN.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US574724A true US574724A (en)||1897-01-05|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US574724D Expired - Lifetime US574724A (en)||Mtjrat k|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US574724A (en)|
- US US574724D patent/US574724A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US614255A (en)||William w|
|US574724A (en)||Mtjrat k|
|US434409A (en)||George l|
|US433786A (en)||George w|
|US1479642A (en)||Pipe wrench|
|US827254A (en)||Combined monkey-wrench, pipe-wrench, and bolt-holder.|
|US405343A (en)||Combined nut and pipe wrench|