US403398A - Box-fastener - Google PatentsBox-fastener Download PDF
- Publication number
- US403398A US403398A US403398DA US403398A US 403398 A US403398 A US 403398A US 403398D A US403398D A US 403398DA US 403398 A US403398 A US 403398A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 239000000789 fastener Substances 0.000 title 2
- 206010022114 Injury Diseases 0.000 description 2
- 240000007594 Oryza sativa Species 0.000 description 2
- 235000007164 Oryza sativa Nutrition 0.000 description 2
- 241001106462 Ulmus Species 0.000 description 2
- 238000005266 casting Methods 0.000 description 2
- 230000000875 corresponding Effects 0.000 description 2
- 239000002184 metal Substances 0.000 description 2
- 235000009566 rice Nutrition 0.000 description 2
- E—FIXED CONSTRUCTIONS
- E05—LOCKS; KEYS; WINDOW OR DOOR FITTINGS; SAFES
- E05C—BOLTS OR FASTENING DEVICES FOR WINGS, SPECIALLY FOR DOORS OR WINDOWS
- E05C19/00—Other devices specially designed for securing wings, e.g. with suction cups
- E05C19/06—Other devices specially designed for securing wings, e.g. with suction cups in which the securing part if formed or carried by a spring and moves only by distortion of the spring, e.g. snaps
- Y—GENERAL TAGGING OF NEW TECHNOLOGICAL DEVELOPMENTS; GENERAL TAGGING OF CROSS-SECTIONAL TECHNOLOGIES SPANNING OVER SEVERAL SECTIONS OF THE IPC; TECHNICAL SUBJECTS COVERED BY FORMER USPC CROSS-REFERENCE ART COLLECTIONS [XRACs] AND DIGESTS
- Y10—TECHNICAL SUBJECTS COVERED BY FORMER USPC
- Y10T—TECHNICAL SUBJECTS COVERED BY FORMER US CLASSIFICATION
- Y10T292/00—Closure fasteners
- Y10T292/0894—Spring arm
- Y10T292/0895—Operating means
J. A. STRDNG.
No. 88,2598- Patented May 14, 1889.
Y jvwemffot elm. y 2 E E57 5a S. Jau/w fw Hof/@Mmm UNITED STATES PATENT EEICE.
JOHN ALEXANDER STRONG, OF GAIN, KANSAS.
SPECIFICATION forming part of Letters Patent N o. 403,398, dated. May 14, 1889.
Application filed February l2, 1889. Serial No. 299,599. (No model.)
To all whom t may concern.-
Be it known that I, JOHN ALEXANDER STRONG, of Cain, in the county of Rice and State of Kansas, have invented certain new and useful Improvements in BoXjFasteners; and I do hereby declare that the following is a full, clear, and exact description thereof, reference being had to the accompanying drawings, and to the letters of reference marked thereon, which form part of this specication, in which- Figure l is a perspective view of a crate or box having my improved fastening devices applied. Fig. 2 is avertical sectional view of the same; Fig. 3, an end view; Fig. 4, abottom View of the top, and Fig. 5 aview of the opposite end of the box. Figs. 6, 7, and 8 are detail views of the cover-fastening devices.
This invention relates to the fastening devices of the covers of boxes and crates, and is an improvement on the fastening devices shown in my patent, No. 344,87 5, dated July 6, 1886; and it consists in so constructing the fastening devices that they will be securely protected when the cover is closed, and are not liable to be accidentally knocked open; all of which will be clearly understood from the following description and claims.
Referring by letter to the drawings, A indicates the body of a box or crate composed of sides, bottom and end pieces, and B C are two rectangular castings embracing the end corners and edges of the box, and re-enforcing the latter. The sides and bottom and end pieces may be attached direct to these castings by rivets or screws without otherwise connecting them to each other, and I can thus make a cheap and strong' crate. These castings are connected at top by narrow horizontal pieces h c, which project above the tops of the side and end pieces sufficiently to be about flush with the cover when the latter is put in place. The pieces are preferably formed integral with the castings; but instead of casting the pieces and parts B C might be formed of malleable or sheet metal, but are preferably cast for the sake of rigidity.
D represents the cover, which fits on the box between pieces b c and the upper ends of the side anges of the castings, so that the cover must be lifted directly off the box to ing C is attached.
remove it therefrom. Piece l) is formed near its lower edge with two or more slots, E E, and has an ear, e, projecting from its center. Piece c is cut away about centrally, as atF; but the adjoining ends of the strip are connected by an ear, f, which is cut or notched at f adjoining cut F, as shown. On the under surface of cover E, at one end thereof, is secured a transverse strip, G, from the outer edge of which project lugs g g, corresponding in number and position to the slots E E in piece ZJ, and II is a similar strip on the other end of the cover, but not having any lugs.
7L is an inclined notch cut in the end of the cover next cut F, as shown.
J designates a spring-catch seated in a recess, I, in the end of the box, to which cast- The upper end of the catch projects under ear f and moves through cut F, and has an inwardly-projecting latchhead, j, as shown.
The cover is secured by first slipping its end having' strip G against piece b, so that lugs g enter slots E. The other end of the cover is then pressed down beside piece c and the head of catch J is pressed back by the edge of strip II until it can spring thereover into notch 7L. lVhen thus sprung, itis obvious that the catch will hold down that end of the cover unless forcibly drawn outward, while lugs g g are held in piece b. The cover by this means can have no movement at all except with the boX. Blows on the outer face of the latch will not disengage or injure it. Pieces b c prevent any prying under the ends of the cover. Ear f, while serving its purpose as a hand-hold, also serves to protect the head of the latch, and as a connection between the separated ends of piece c. The strips G II reenforce the lid, and lugs g are protected from injury by piece h while the cover is closed.
Having thus described my invention, I claim* l. In a box-fastening, the combination of the piece b, having slots, secured at one end of the boX, and the piece c, having a central cut, and an ear, f, connecting the adjoining ends of said piece, and the spring-catch J, having an inwardly-standing latch-head moving in the cut of piece c, with a cover having lugs at one end engaging the slots of piece h,
and a notch at its other end to engage Catch J, all substantially as and for the purpose described. l
2. The combination of the box, the castings B C, secured to the ends thereof, having pieces b and o, respectively, at their' upper sides, piece b being slotted, as described, and piece c out away at its center and its adjoining ends Connected by an ear, f, and the springcatoh J, playing through said out in piece c, with the cover having a transverse strip at one end provided with projecting lugs engaging the slots in piece b, and having a notch and strip at its other end to engage catch J, substantially as and for the purpose 15 specified. Y
In testimony that I claim the foregoing as my oWn I affix my signature in presence of two Witnesses.
JOHN ALEXANDER STRONG.
JAMES CORRIGAN, ED. MCDONNELL.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US403398A true US403398A (en)||1889-05-14|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US403398D Expired - Lifetime US403398A (en)||Box-fastener|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US403398A (en)|
- US US403398D patent/US403398A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US651070A (en)||Cover-fastening for boxes or like articles.|
|US576188A (en)||Basket or crate|
|US938131A (en)||Egg-case fastening.|
|US883451A (en)||Bail and hasp fastener.|
|US211189A (en)||Improvement in cigar-boxes|
|US953315A (en)||Egg-crate lid.|
|US299276A (en)||Heney allen shaw and edwaed deacon chidley|
|US150185A (en)||Improvement in fastenings for box-covers|
|US611637A (en)||Box-fastening device|
|US792383A (en)||Folding box or crate.|
|US936984A (en)||Crate and protector.|
|US331916A (en)||Cover-fastener for egg-cases|
|US505061A (en)||Knockdown crate|