US35988A - Improvement - Google PatentsImprovement Download PDF
- Publication number
- US35988A US35988A US35988DA US35988A US 35988 A US35988 A US 35988A US 35988D A US35988D A US 35988DA US 35988 A US35988 A US 35988A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 238000005192 partition Methods 0.000 description 8
- 241000507564 Aplanes Species 0.000 description 2
- 230000000875 corresponding Effects 0.000 description 2
- 238000009432 framing Methods 0.000 description 2
- 230000005484 gravity Effects 0.000 description 2
- 239000010454 slate Substances 0.000 description 2
- E—FIXED CONSTRUCTIONS
- E05—LOCKS; KEYS; WINDOW OR DOOR FITTINGS; SAFES
- E05F—DEVICES FOR MOVING WINGS INTO OPEN OR CLOSED POSITION; CHECKS FOR WINGS; WING FITTINGS NOT OTHERWISE PROVIDED FOR, CONCERNED WITH THE FUNCTIONING OF THE WING
- E05F1/00—Closers or openers for wings, not otherwise provided for in this subclass
- E05F1/02—Closers or openers for wings, not otherwise provided for in this subclass gravity-actuated, e.g. by use of counterweights
- E05F1/025—Closers or openers for wings, not otherwise provided for in this subclass gravity-actuated, e.g. by use of counterweights with rectilinearly-moving counterweights
- Y—GENERAL TAGGING OF NEW TECHNOLOGICAL DEVELOPMENTS; GENERAL TAGGING OF CROSS-SECTIONAL TECHNOLOGIES SPANNING OVER SEVERAL SECTIONS OF THE IPC; TECHNICAL SUBJECTS COVERED BY FORMER USPC CROSS-REFERENCE ART COLLECTIONS [XRACs] AND DIGESTS
- Y10—TECHNICAL SUBJECTS COVERED BY FORMER USPC
- Y10T—TECHNICAL SUBJECTS COVERED BY FORMER US CLASSIFICATION
- Y10T16/00—Miscellaneous hardware [e.g., bushing, carpet fastener, caster, door closer, panel hanger, attachable or adjunct handle, hinge, window sash balance, etc.]
. UNITED STATES ,PATENT OFFICE.
`AMOS S. BLAKE, OF WATERBURY, CONNECTICUT.
` IMPROVEMENT IN WEIGHT AND LEVER ATTACHMENTS FOR DOORS AND GATES.
Specification forming part of Letters Inatcnt No. 35,958, dated July 29, lSQ.
To @ZZ whom it may concern:
Be it known that l, AMos S. BLAKE, of Waterbury, in the county of New Haven and State of Connecticut, have invented a new and improved weight and lever attachment to be applied to doors, gates, &e.,for the purpose of closing the same after being opened; and I do hereby declare that the following is a full, clear, and exact description of the same, reference being had to the accompanying draw-` ings, making a part of this specification, in which- Figure l is a face or side view of my inven- -tion applied to a door, the latter being shown in a closed state; Fig. 2, aplan or top view of Fig. l; Fig. 3, aV side view ofthe invention applied toa door, shown in an open slate.
Similar letters of reference indicate corresponding parts in the several iigures.
This invention consists in connecting a weightto abent lever which is attached to the framing of the door or to the post of a gate,
. and connecting said lever to the door or gate by means of a rod arranged in such a manner that the weight is made to act in the most efflclent way in closing the door or gate, and the latter, when thrown fully open, allowed to remain in that position.
To enable those skilled in the art to fully understand and construct my invention, I will proceed to describe it.
A represents a door hung upon hinges, as usual, and B a part of the frame thereof or a part of the partition in which the door is placed.
' C is a lever which is of right-angular forni and has its uppereud,`a, bent so as to tit in the door frame or partition B. This upper part of the lever is not fitted directly into the frame or partition, but is fitted loosely in a tube or socket, b, which is firmly secured therein, so that the upper end of the lever forms its center of oscillation, the tube or socket Z) being the fulcrum or fulcru1nbearing. The lower or disengaged end of the lever C has a weight, D, attached, and E is a rod, one end of which is bent to form a hook, c, which is fitted loosely in an eye, d, at the angle of lever C. The opposite end of the rod E is bent downward and is tted loosely in an eye, F, attached to the door A.
Thelever C may bev constructed of a piece of wire, so bent as to form in one piece t-he upper part, a,and the eye d,as shown in Fig. 1.
When the door is opened, the rod E will actuatethelever C and raise theweightD,which,
vwhen the door is left free, will by its gravity depress the lever and closel the door. When, however, the door is thrown fully open, or to such an extent that the thrust or pressure of rod-E will be nearly in line or in a plane parallel with the frame or partition B, the door cannot close under the action of the weight D;
hence, when it is desired to have the door remain open, all that is required is to throw it fully back.
Thisinvention may be constructedA and applied at a small cost. The weight D, for ordinary purposes, need not exceed' two and one-half pounds, and the weight of the other parts-to wit, the lever C and rod E- need not exceed two pounds.
The invention has been practically tested and answers admirably well, and is applicable to gates as well as doors. l
Having thus described my invention, what I claim as new, and desire to secure by Letters Patent, is-
The combination of the weight D, lever C,
and rod E, applied to the door or gate, to oper- Vitnesses:
FRANKLIN L. WELTON, JOSEPH B. SPENCER.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US35988A true US35988A (en)||1862-07-29|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US35988D Expired - Lifetime US35988A (en)||Improvement|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US35988A (en)|
- US US35988D patent/US35988A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US34075A (en)||Improved device for closing doors|
|US42090A (en)||Improvement in window-sash weights|
|US26809A (en)||Henry belfield|
|US1790406A (en)||Door holder|
|US36732A (en)||Improvement in door-latches|
|US36647A (en)||Mprovement in devices for closing gates|
|US32339A (en)||John range|
|US196851A (en)||Improvement in transom-lifters|
|US36865A (en)||Improvement in hinges for shutters|
|US20008A (en)||Catch-latch for farm-gates|
|US4641A (en)||Jacob shaw|
|US200753A (en)||Improvement in transom-lifters|
|US42929A (en)||Improved blind and shutter fastener|