US286073A - William h - Google PatentsWilliam h Download PDF
- Publication number
- US286073A US286073A US286073DA US286073A US 286073 A US286073 A US 286073A US 286073D A US286073D A US 286073DA US 286073 A US286073 A US 286073A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 210000001699 lower leg Anatomy 0.000 description 6
- 230000036633 rest Effects 0.000 description 4
- 230000000284 resting Effects 0.000 description 4
- 235000014121 butter Nutrition 0.000 description 2
- 238000010276 construction Methods 0.000 description 2
- B—PERFORMING OPERATIONS; TRANSPORTING
- B65—CONVEYING; PACKING; STORING; HANDLING THIN OR FILAMENTARY MATERIAL
- B65D—CONTAINERS FOR STORAGE OR TRANSPORT OF ARTICLES OR MATERIALS, e.g. BAGS, BARRELS, BOTTLES, BOXES, CANS, CARTONS, CRATES, DRUMS, JARS, TANKS, HOPPERS, FORWARDING CONTAINERS; ACCESSORIES, CLOSURES, OR FITTINGS THEREFOR; PACKAGING ELEMENTS; PACKAGES
- B65D45/00—Clamping or other pressure-applying devices for securing or retaining closure members
- B65D45/02—Clamping or other pressure-applying devices for securing or retaining closure members for applying axial pressure to engage closure with sealing surface
- B65D45/16—Clips, hooks, or clamps which are removable, or which remain connected either with the closure or with the container when the container is open, e.g. C-shaped
W. H. ROBERTS.
FASTENING FOR BUTTER PACKAGES.
Patented Oct. 2, 1883.
WITNESSES I ATTORNEYS.
NITED STATES PATENT OFFIC WILLIAM H. ROBERTS, OF DAVENPORT CENTRE, NEW YORK.
FASTENING FOR BUTTER-PACKAGES.
SPECIFICATION forming part of Letters Patent No. 286,073, dated October 2, 1883.
Application filed August 2,1883. (NomodeL) .To aZZ whom, it may concerrh.
Be it known that I, WILLIA H. RoBERTs, of Davenport Centre, in the county of Delaware and State of New York, have invented certain new and useful Improvements in Fast enings for Butter-Packages; and I do hereby declare that the following is a full, clear, and exact description of the invention, which will enable others skilled in the art to which it appertains to make and use the same, reference being had to the accompanying drawings, which form a part of this specification, and in which-- Figure l is aperspective view of the upper portion of a butter-jar provided with my improved fastening, and Fig. 2 is a perspective view of the fastening detached.
Similar letters of reference indicate corres'ponding parts in both the figures.
My invention has relation to fastenings for 0 the covers of butter jars, and has for its object to provide a cover-fastening for the butterpackage for which Letters Patent No. 276,882 were granted to me on the 1st day of May, 1883; and it consists, to that end ,in the improved 2 construction and combination of parts of the same, as hereinafter more fully described and claimed.
In the accompanying drawings, A represents the butter-jar, B the cover, and O the annular flange against which the lower edge of the flanged cover rests. A piece of wire, D, is drawn tightly around the jar below the flange and the ends secured together in any suitable manner, andthewire, which is somewhat longer 5 than the circumference of the jar'at that place, is passed through the annular eyes E of two screws, F, which are placed diametrically opposite to each other and turned, twisting the wire to form two upwardly-pointing twisted 4o shanks,G, for the eyes H, into which the screweyes are linked. The screw-threaded shanks I of the screw-eyes pass through two perforations, J, one in each end of a flat yoke, K, which rests diametrically over the lid of the jar, and are secured by means of two thumbnuts, L, which bear against the upper surface of" the yoke, and serve to press the same down upon the cover when screwed down upon the screws. In this manner it will be seen that the wire ring may be placed around the jar, the screws twisted to make it fit under the flange, and the yoke pressed down upon the lid by the thumb-nuts when the jar is to be closed, the flat eyes, resting against the sides of the flange or cover, preventing the screws from turning when the thumb-nuts are turned, and when the jar is to be opened the nuts may be unscrewed, the yoke removed, when the cover may be raised.
Having thus described my invention, I claim and desire to secure by Letters Patent of the United States 1; A. fastening for covers on jars, consisting of a wire having its ends secured together, adapted to fit under theflange at the top of the jar, and twisted at diametrically-opposite places to form eyes, screw-eyes linked into the latter eyes, a yoke having perforations at each end for the passage of the screws of said screweyes, and thumb-nuts fitting upon the ends of the screw-eyes, as and for the purpose shown and set forth.
2. The combination of a jar having a flange at its upper end, a cover fitting over the top of said jar, a wire ring fitting under the flange of the jar and twisted at diametrically-opposite points, forming eyes, screw-eyes linked into said eyes, ayoke resting across the cover, and having perforations at the ends receiving the shanks of the screw-eyes, and thumb-nuts fitting upon the ends of the screw-eyes, all construoted as and for the purpose shown and set forth.
In testimonythat I claim the foregoing as my own I have hereunto affixed my signature 85 in presence of two witnesses.
WVILLIAM H. ROBERTS.
J OHN A. GoUrHE, WILLIAM W. REYNOLDS.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US286073A true US286073A (en)||1883-10-02|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US286073D Expired - Lifetime US286073A (en)||William h|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US286073A (en)|
- US US286073D patent/US286073A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US286073A (en)||William h|
|US1177562A (en)||Bottle cover and grip.|
|US1299321A (en)||Device for keeping lids cool.|
|US1134856A (en)||Milk-can and cover and fastening means for the same.|
|US611033A (en)||Bail attachment for stone jars|
|US533876A (en)||Alexander ernst|
|US822025A (en)||Seal for stop-cocks.|
|US608103A (en)||Device for keeping lids on boilers|
|US406542A (en)||Cover for crocks and jars|
|US203694A (en)||Improvement in milk-cans|
|US532187A (en)||Nathan rubenstein|
|US363090A (en)||Cover for milk-cans|
|US146824A (en)||Improvement in fruit-jars|
|US667895A (en)||Cover for creaming-cans.|
|US228343A (en)||James hall|
|US768403A (en)||Fastening and sealing device for milk-cans.|
|US354438A (en)||Maevin k|
|US402614A (en)||Cover for cans or jars|