US40227A - Improvement in lamps - Google PatentsImprovement in lamps Download PDF
- Publication number
- US40227A US40227A US40227DA US40227A US 40227 A US40227 A US 40227A US 40227D A US40227D A US 40227DA US 40227 A US40227 A US 40227A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 239000011521 glass Substances 0.000 description 10
- 239000000779 smoke Substances 0.000 description 4
- OKTJSMMVPCPJKN-UHFFFAOYSA-N carbon Chemical compound [C] OKTJSMMVPCPJKN-UHFFFAOYSA-N 0.000 description 2
- 239000003245 coal Substances 0.000 description 2
- 239000000203 mixture Substances 0.000 description 2
- 239000003921 oil Substances 0.000 description 2
- 230000001105 regulatory Effects 0.000 description 2
- 230000035943 smell Effects 0.000 description 2
- F—MECHANICAL ENGINEERING; LIGHTING; HEATING; WEAPONS; BLASTING
- F23—COMBUSTION APPARATUS; COMBUSTION PROCESSES
- F23D5/00—Burners in which liquid fuel evaporates in the combustion space, with or without chemical conversion of evaporated fuel
- F—MECHANICAL ENGINEERING; LIGHTING; HEATING; WEAPONS; BLASTING
- F21V—FUNCTIONAL FEATURES OR DETAILS OF LIGHTING DEVICES OR SYSTEMS THEREOF; STRUCTURAL COMBINATIONS OF LIGHTING DEVICES WITH OTHER ARTICLES, NOT OTHERWISE PROVIDED FOR
- F21V17/00—Fastening of component parts of lighting devices, e.g. shades, globes, refractors, reflectors, filters, screens, grids or protective cages
L. J. ATWOOD,
Patented Oct. 13, 1863.
No; 40,227. I
Starts ATENT Farce.
IMPROVEMENT lN LAMPS.
Specification forming part of Letters Patent No. $0,227, dated October13, 1863.
To all whom it may concern:
Be it known that I, LEWIS J. Arwoon, of Vaterbury, in the county of New Haven and State of Connecticut, have invented,'m ade, and applied to use a certain new and useful Improvement in Lamps; and I do hereby declare the following to be a full, clear, and X act description of my said invention, reference being had to the annexed drawings, making part of this specification, wherein- Figure 1 is a vertical section of my improved lamp. Fig. 2 is a plan of the same as with the glass chimney turned back, and Fig. 3 is an elevation of the burner at right angles to Fig. 1.
Similar marks of reference denote the same parts.
Conical glass chimneys have heretofore been used, and the ring of the ordinary chimney has also been attached by a hinge.
The nature of my said invention consists in a draft-distributor applied at the bottom of a chimney having a conical base, whereby said chimney performs the oftice of a cone or deflector to the draft, as well as that of a chimney, at the same time that said draft is regulated in its action upon the flame by the said distributer.
My invention is adapted toa light and portable or hand lamp, and will burn coal or similar oils without smoke or smell, thus meeting a want heretofore nnsupplied.
In the drawings, a is the reservoir, of any desired size or shape. I) is the burner; c, the wick-tube; d, the ratchet-cap, and c the ratchet or wickraiser, all of which may be of any usual character Around the burner b is a flat or nearly flat flange, f, perforated with holes, and forming an air-distributer.
g is the glass chimney, m ade with a conical base, 1, forming the contraction or neck 2 between the said conical part 1 and the bulb part 3 of said chimney. The top of the wick tube 0 is above the base of the chimney, so that there will be little or no loss of light, as the burner will cast but little shadow around the lamp, and the transparent base of the chimney, that forms the cone or deflector for the draft, allows the light to pass freely from the base of the flame, and the body of said flame is in the bulb 3. The draft passing through the distributer f is equalized so as to rise within the conical part 1 of the chimney and be deflected upon the flame. At one side of the burner I provide a hinge, h, uniting to said burner the ring i, that receives the glass, and 7; is a thumb-piece by which the ring and chimney are raised so as to swing back on the hinge when required. The base of the shade is to be held into the ring by a screw or other suitable means. A round the edge of the ring 11 is a depending flange or skirt at 4, which passes sufflciently below the air-distributer f to prevent any current of air acting directly on said air-distributer and causing the flame to smoke or flicker, particularly when the lamp is being moved from place to place. The hinge h is formed with a stop. as seen in Fig.3. One of thejoints ofthehingeis notched and a projection formed on the next joint of the hinge, so that a small recess is left, as at 5, in the hinge-joint down to the pin thereof, when the ring is shut down on the burner; but these two parts coming together when the ring is turned back, prevent the hinge opening farther, so that the glass chimney cannotdescend suiiicientl y for the top thereof to come in contact with the table or other article on which the lamp may be placed, thus avoiding breakage of the chimney. The chimney above the neck 2 may be shaped as desired.
I do not claim either of the devices embraced in this lamp alone, as they have all been heretofore used; but
\Vhat 1 do claim is The combination of the several parts into a convenient, cheap, and portable hand-lamp, constructed as represented, and for the purposes specified.
In witness whereof I have hereunto set my signature this 31st day of December, 1862.
' LEWIS J. ATWOOD.
Witnesses HENRY 0. Games, 0. H. STEVENS.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US40227A true US40227A (en)||1863-10-13|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US40227D Expired - Lifetime US40227A (en)||Improvement in lamps|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US40227A (en)|
- US US40227D patent/US40227A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US34293A (en)||Improved chimney for lamps|
|US34742A (en)||Improved lamp-burner|
|US40227A (en)||Improvement in lamps|
|US32156A (en)||Joseph thomas|
|US37316A (en)||Improvement in chimney-attachments for lamps|
|US40228A (en)||Improvement in lamp-chimneys|
|US36374A (en)||Improvement in lamp-burners|
|US38926A (en)||Improvement in lamp-burners|
|US34733A (en)||Improvement in chimneys fo|
|US37366A (en)||Improved mode of attaching chimneys to lamps|
|US39320A (en)||Improvement in lamp-burners|
|US37986A (en)||Improvement in coal-oil lamps|
|US41179A (en)||Improvement in lamp-burners|
|US37845A (en)||Improved perforations in lamp-burners|
|US181030A (en)||Improvement in torches for lighting street-lamps|
|US36692A (en)||Improvement in lamps|
|US40226A (en)||Improvement in lamps|
|US36198A (en)||Improvement in kerosene-lanterns|
|US39102A (en)||Improvement in lamp-burners|
|US37773A (en)||Improved combination of globe and chimney for lamps|
|US47493A (en)||Improvement in lamps|
|US78637A (en)||Improvement in lamp-burners|
|US38162A (en)||Improvement in lamps|
|US33402A (en)||Improvement in lamps|