US340493A - Ventilated barrel - Google PatentsVentilated barrel Download PDF
- Publication number
- US340493A US340493A US340493DA US340493A US 340493 A US340493 A US 340493A US 340493D A US340493D A US 340493DA US 340493 A US340493 A US 340493A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 210000000282 Nails Anatomy 0.000 description 2
- 238000010276 construction Methods 0.000 description 2
- 244000221110 common millet Species 0.000 description 1
- 235000012055 fruits and vegetables Nutrition 0.000 description 1
- 230000002093 peripheral Effects 0.000 description 1
- 230000000284 resting Effects 0.000 description 1
- 238000004642 transportation engineering Methods 0.000 description 1
- B—PERFORMING OPERATIONS; TRANSPORTING
- B65—CONVEYING; PACKING; STORING; HANDLING THIN OR FILAMENTARY MATERIAL
- B65D—CONTAINERS FOR STORAGE OR TRANSPORT OF ARTICLES OR MATERIALS, e.g. BAGS, BARRELS, BOTTLES, BOXES, CANS, CARTONS, CRATES, DRUMS, JARS, TANKS, HOPPERS, FORWARDING CONTAINERS; ACCESSORIES, CLOSURES, OR FITTINGS THEREFOR; PACKAGING ELEMENTS; PACKAGES
- B65D9/00—Containers having bodies formed by interconnecting or uniting two or more rigid, or substantially rigid, components made wholly or mainly of wood or substitutes therefor
- B65D9/12—Containers having bodies formed by interconnecting or uniting two or more rigid, or substantially rigid, components made wholly or mainly of wood or substitutes therefor collapsible, e.g. with all parts detachable
- B65D9/18—Containers having bodies formed by interconnecting or uniting two or more rigid, or substantially rigid, components made wholly or mainly of wood or substitutes therefor collapsible, e.g. with all parts detachable with some parts detachable and other parts hinged together
- B65D9/20—Containers having bodies formed by interconnecting or uniting two or more rigid, or substantially rigid, components made wholly or mainly of wood or substitutes therefor collapsible, e.g. with all parts detachable with some parts detachable and other parts hinged together wire-bound boxes
(No Model.) 2 Sheets-Sheet 1. J. G. DOZIER, Jr.
No. 340,493. Patented Apr. 20, 1886.
\ ATTORNEYS 2 Sheets-Sheet 2.
Patented Apr. 20,1886.
. W 3 w fl fi ,fi C J0. n w M A l l 0 D 0 HI. 0 0 o O .IIMI m. m 2 "m fin H j .w I M 0 I 0 Ill. 0 I. o H
. J. 0. DOZIER, Jr.
VENTILATED BARREL. No. 340.493..
4 ado INVENTOR ATTORNEYS WITNESSES NITED STATES ATENT FFICE.
JAMES C. DOZIER, JR. OF LOUISVILLE, KENTUOKY.
SPECIFICATION forming part of Letters Patent No. 340,493, dated April 20. 1886.
Application filed September 10, 1885. Serial No. 176,690. (No model.)
To aZl whom it may concern.-
Be it known that 1, JAMES C. DOZIER, J r., 'a citizen of the United States, residing at Louisville, in the county of Jefferson and State of Kentucky, have invented certain new and useful Improvements in Ventilated Barrels; and I do declare the following to be a full, clear, and exact description of the invention, such as will enable others skilled in the art to which it appertains to make and use the same,- reference being had to the accompanying drawings, and to letters or figures of reference marked thereon, which form a part of this specification.
Figure 1 of the,drawings is a representation of a perspective view. Fig. 2is a section.
This invention relates to ventilated barrels designed to be used in the .transportation of fruits and vegetables and thelike; and it consists in the construction and novel combination of parts, as will be hereinafter fully described, and particularly pointed out in the claim.
Referring by letter to the accompanying drawings, A designates the staves 0f the ventilated barrel, and B and G designate the end hoops of the barrel, which are made quite broad in the construction and project beyond the ends of the staves and form the chines of the barrel.
The end hoops, B and C, are connected to the staves by nails D, driven either from the outside inwardly or from the inside outwardly, and said nails are clinched to hold them in place. An intermediate hoop, G, is also secured to the outside of the staves at about the middle of their lengths, and greatly strengthens the barrel. nailed to place by clinch-nails. Small spaces H are left between the staves for the purpose of permitting the contents of the barrel to be properly ventilated, either while being stored or shipped. i
I I designate the barrel-heads, which have peripheral shouldered flanges K, which,when the heads I I. are in place, rest upon the ends of the staves inside of the end hoops. Over the heads circular cleats M M are nailed to the inside of the end hoops, and hold the heads in place in the barrel.
In some cases it will be necessary to use more than three hoops. Where greater strength is required, I employ five hoops, and sometimes a spiral hoop between the end hoops.
Having described this invention, what I claim, and desire to secure by Letters Patent, 1s-
The combination, with the staves nailed to the end hoops and intermediate hoop, and having spaces between them, of the shouldered heads resting against the ends of the staves, and the circular securing-hoops secured to the end hoops, substantially as specified.
In testimony whereof I affix my signature in presence of twowitnesses.
JAMES C. DOZIER, JR.
ERNEST F. SAUERMANN, J AMES THURMAN.
This hoop is also securely-
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US340493A true US340493A (en)||1886-04-20|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US340493D Expired - Lifetime US340493A (en)||Ventilated barrel|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US340493A (en)|
- US US340493D patent/US340493A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US340493A (en)||Ventilated barrel|
|US310141A (en)||Ventilated barrel|
|US165909A (en)||Improvement in sheet-iron barrels|
|US298962A (en)||Metallic barrel-hoop|
|US106827A (en)||Improved barrel|
|US527328A (en)||Knockdown barrel|
|US307971A (en)||Knockdown barrel|
|US281230A (en)||Knockdown fruit-barrel|
|US758957A (en)||Knockdown package.|
|US624376A (en)||Knockdown barrel|
|US368026A (en)||Cask or barrel|
|US290335A (en)||Ventilated barrel|
|US142148A (en)||Improvement in fruit-crates|
|US195634A (en)||Improvement in barrel-heads|
|US213859A (en)||Improvement in shipping-cases|
|US188128A (en)||Improvement in barrels|
|US250475A (en)||Knockdown cask or barrel|