US331911A - Barrel - Google PatentsBarrel Download PDF
- Publication number
- US331911A US331911A US331911DA US331911A US 331911 A US331911 A US 331911A US 331911D A US331911D A US 331911DA US 331911 A US331911 A US 331911A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 239000004568 cements Substances 0.000 description 5
- 239000003292 glue Substances 0.000 description 5
- 210000001503 Joints Anatomy 0.000 description 4
- 210000002832 Shoulder Anatomy 0.000 description 4
- 239000002023 wood Substances 0.000 description 4
- 241000238631 Hexapoda Species 0.000 description 2
- 241001173360 Viscaria asterias Species 0.000 description 2
- 239000003570 air Substances 0.000 description 2
- 238000010276 construction Methods 0.000 description 2
- 230000004048 modification Effects 0.000 description 2
- 238000006011 modification reactions Methods 0.000 description 2
- 241000699670 Mus sp. Species 0.000 description 1
- 210000000282 Nails Anatomy 0.000 description 1
- 241000700159 Rattus Species 0.000 description 1
- 235000013312 flour Nutrition 0.000 description 1
- 235000012055 fruits and vegetables Nutrition 0.000 description 1
- 238000000034 methods Methods 0.000 description 1
- 239000000203 mixtures Substances 0.000 description 1
- 230000036633 rest Effects 0.000 description 1
- 239000007787 solids Substances 0.000 description 1
- B—PERFORMING OPERATIONS; TRANSPORTING
- B65—CONVEYING; PACKING; STORING; HANDLING THIN OR FILAMENTARY MATERIAL
- B65D—CONTAINERS FOR STORAGE OR TRANSPORT OF ARTICLES OR MATERIALS, e.g. BAGS, BARRELS, BOTTLES, BOXES, CANS, CARTONS, CRATES, DRUMS, JARS, TANKS, HOPPERS, FORWARDING CONTAINERS; ACCESSORIES, CLOSURES, OR FITTINGS THEREFOR; PACKAGING ELEMENTS; PACKAGES
- B65D25/00—Details of other kinds or types of rigid or semi-rigid containers
- B65D25/14—Linings or internal coatings
- B65D25/16—Loose, or loosely-attached, linings
S. H. RAYMOND.
No. 331,911. Patented Deo. 8, 1885.
am@ A of the outside staves.
UNITED -Srarns Partnr @risica SILAS H. RAYMOND, OF GRAND RAPIDS, MICHIGAN.
SPECIFICATION forming part of Letters Patent No. 331,911, dated December 8, 1885.
Application filed October 28, 1885. Serial. No. 181,181.V (No model.)
To @ZZ whom, it may concern..-
Be it known that I, SILAs H. RAYMOND, of Grand Rapids, in the county of Kent and State of Michigan, have invented certain new and useful Improvements in Barrels, and I do hereby declare the following to be a full, clear, and .exact description of the invention, such as will enable others skilled in the artto which it appertains to make and use the same.
My invention relates to au improvement in barrels.
'Ihe object is to provide a light, cheap, and durable barrel suitable for house use in storing flour, sugar, Src., and keeping the same free from dampness and insects.
lVith these ends in View my invention consists in certain features of construction and combinations of parts, as will be hereinafter described, and pointed out in the claims.
In the accompanying drawings, Figure l is a view of the barrel partially broken away. Fig. 2 is atransverse section, and Fig. 3 represents one of theinside and one of the outside staves. Fig. 4shows a modification; and Fig. 5 is a modilied form of inner hoop, showing the shoulder for holding the head formed integral with the hoop.
A represents one of the inside and B one The inside stave, A, is formed of thick paper, such asis commonly termed pasteboard or straw-board, and the stave B is preferably formed of wood veneer, but may be formed of paper, if so desired.
C represents the inside end hoops, which are irst placed upon the ends of the former in constructing the barrel. The ends of the inside paper staves are then nailed to the hoops C with their edges in close contact. Glue or cement is then applied to the joints, completely lling them. The outside staves, B, are then nailed to the end hoops in such position as to lap joints with the paper staves, their joints being filled or not with glue or cement; and the outside middle hoops, D, are then driven on, vdrawing twhe whole snugly together. The outside end hoops, c, are then placed in position and nailed to the staves or through the staves and inside hoop, C.
To form rests for the heads, thin strips of wood, E, are bent around on the inside faces of the inner end hoops at their lower edges, and
I secured thereto by nails or other suitable fastening; or the inside hoops might be formed thereby formed on their inner faces, as shown in Fig. 5. One of the heads F is permanently secured in position by a thin strip of wood, e, secured to the inside face of the hoop C outside of the head and in close proximity to the head. The other or top head F may be secured in a removable manner by any of the wellknown means; or it may be provided with a handle, and may simply rest in position on the internal shoulder. Instead of forming the 'inside paper staves separately, they may be formed of a single sheet of thick paper gored at its ends to conform to the curve ofthe barrel, and the edges where the gores are made may be united by glue or cement. The outer sides of the paper staves may also be cornpletely covered with glue or cement, f, and the outside staves applied thereto in such a manner as to compress the glue or cement before it hardens between the outer and inner sets, thereby forming a solid and compact wall impervious to moisture and secure against the passage of small insects, mice, rats, &c.
The modification represented in Fig. 4 consists in omitting the lining or set of inside staves and nailing the outside staves to the hoop far enough apart to admit air for the purpose of storing fruit and vegetables. The spaces between the staves and the outside and inside end hoops admit of a circulation of air throughout the length of the barrel, and are made at no additional expense, as they are formed during the process of construction.
It is evident that slight changes might be the several parts without departing from the spirit and scope of my invention.
Having fully described my invention, what I claim as new, and desire to secure by Letters Patent, is 1. A'barrel consisting, essentially, of aninner and outer series of bent staves firmly secured together, the outside and inside hoops rigidly secured to the staves, the inner hoops having shoulders thereon forming seats for the heads, and the strip e, secured to the inner hoop outside of the lower head, for permanently securing said lower head in position.
2. A barrel consisting, essentially, of a sethicker at their lower edges, and shoulders resorted to in the form and arrangement of 9o ICO ries of inside paper staves having their edges l In testimony whereof I have signed this glued or cemented together and n series of' ontspecification in the presence of two subscribing ro side staves overlapping the joints of the inside Witnesses.
series, the ends ofthe Steves being` nailed between outside and inside hoops, and thin strips SILAS H. RAYMOND. of Wood bent around and secured to the inside W'itnesses: Y
faces of the inside hoops to form stops for the I CYRUs E. PERKINS,
WILLIAM A. CHAPMAN.
head, substantially as set forth.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US331911A true US331911A (en)||1885-12-08|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US331911D Expired - Lifetime US331911A (en)||Barrel|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US331911A (en)|
- US US331911D patent/US331911A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US653907A (en)||Knockdown box.|
|US130138A (en)||Improvement in baskets|
|US601702A (en)||Andrew burgland|
|US340493A (en)||Ventilated barrel|
|US281230A (en)||Knockdown fruit-barrel|
|US128036A (en)||Improvement in baskets|
|US644691A (en)||Nesting fruit-basket.|
|US111868A (en)||Improvement in barrels|
|US188128A (en)||Improvement in barrels|
|US659954A (en)||Wooden shipping-box.|
|US430878A (en)||Fruit-packing case|
|US179707A (en)||Improvement in paper barrels|
|US1309502A (en)||Flexible knockdown container|
|US368026A (en)||Cask or barrel|
|US115088A (en)||Improvement in tubs, pails|
|US130937A (en)||Improvement in fruit-baskets|
|US450113A (en)||William h|