US417413A - Mouth-piece for musical instruments - Google PatentsMouth-piece for musical instruments Download PDF
- Publication number
- US417413A US417413A US417413DA US417413A US 417413 A US417413 A US 417413A US 417413D A US417413D A US 417413DA US 417413 A US417413 A US 417413A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- musical instruments
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 239000002184 metals Substances 0.000 description 4
- 229910001369 Brass Inorganic materials 0.000 description 2
- 281000068990 Distin family companies 0.000 description 2
- 239000010951 brass Substances 0.000 description 2
- 239000003570 air Substances 0.000 description 1
- 230000000875 corresponding Effects 0.000 description 1
- 238000004519 manufacturing process Methods 0.000 description 1
- G10—MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS; ACOUSTICS
- G10D—STRINGED MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS; WIND MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS; ACCORDIONS OR CONCERTINAS; PERCUSSION MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS; AEOLIAN HARPS; SINGING-FLAME MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS; MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS NOT OTHERWISE PROVIDED FOR
- G10D9/00—Details of, or accessories for, wind musical instruments
- G10D9/02—Mouthpieces; Reeds; Ligatures
- G10D9/03—Cupped mouthpieces
(No Mode! H. J. DISTIN.
MOUTH PIECE FOR MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS.
No. 417,413. Patented Dec. 17, 1889 WITNESSES INVENTOR:
N. FETEKS, Phulmhflmgmpher. wnmin wm D. c.
UNITED STATES PATENT OFFICE.
HENRY J. DISTIN, OF PHILADELPHIA, PENNSYLVANIA.
MOUTH-PIECE FOR MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS.
SPECIFICATION forming part of Letters Patent No. 417,413, dated December 17, 1889. Application filed February 23, 1889. Serial No. 300,802. (No model.) i
To all whom, it may concern:
Be it known that I, HENRY J. DISTIN, a citizen of the United States, residing in the city and county of Philadelphia, State of Pennsylvania, have'invented a new and useful Improvement in Mouth-Pieces of Musical III- struments, which improvement is fully set forth in the following specification and aecompanying drawings.
My invention relates to improvements in a mouth-piece of a musical instrument, generally known as a brass instrument, although made of different kinds of metal; and it consists-in constructing the cup of such monthpiece of sheet metal and providing the same with a hollow rim, by which means the piece is caused to vibrate to a greater extent and possesses less weight than heretofore.
Figure 1 represents a side elevation of a mouth-piece embodying my invention. Fig. 2 represents a longitudinal section thereof. Fig. 3 represents a longitudinal section of the cup of the piece in partially-finished condition.
Similar letters of reference indicate corresponding parts in the several figures.
Referring to the drawings, A designates a mouth-piece of a musical instrument of the order of a brass wind-instrument, the same consisting of a cup B and the stem 0.
The cup B is formed of sheet metal, spun, struck up, stamped, or otherwise worked into shape, with a flange D, (shown in Fig. 3,) said flange being afterward bent or turned back and over toward or upon the body of the cup, forming the hollow rim E. (Shown in Figs. 1 and 2.) It will be seen that the cup possesses less weight, and by its reduced thickness is enabled to vibrate to a greater extent when the instrument is in use, this being increased by the air space or chamber formed by the hollow rim E. The cup is inserted into the stem O. Its neck joining the shoulder F on the interior of said stem makes a smooth, uniform, and flush joint.
Having thus described my invention, what I claim as new, and desire to secureby Letters Patent, is
1. As anew article of manufacture, a mouthtially as described.
4. A cup for a mouth-piece, formed of sheet metal having its neck joined to a shoulderin the stem of said piece, substantially as described.
HENRY J. DISTIN.
JOHN A. WIEDERSHEIM, A. P. JENNINGS.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US417413A true US417413A (en)||1889-12-17|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US417413D Expired - Lifetime US417413A (en)||Mouth-piece for musical instruments|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US417413A (en)|
- US US417413D patent/US417413A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US469064A (en)||Tooth-pick case|
|US1043123A (en)||Call for ducks.|
|US152197A (en)||Improvement in combined lockets and smelling-bottles|
|US747078A (en)||Horn for campaign marching clubs.|
|US673488A (en)||Soap-bubble blower.|
|US733122A (en)||Musical instrument.|
|US158224A (en)||Improvement in eye-cups|
|US622862A (en)||Handle attachment for jars or bottles|
|US266582A (en)||William demuth|
|US697063A (en)||Soap-bubble blower.|
|US752447A (en)||William gebeet|
|US921566A (en)||Mounting for emblems or monograms.|
|US587795A (en)||Trick toy|
|GB190900553A (en)||Improvements in, and in the Manufacture of, Whistles.|
|US2301049A (en)||Crushproof button|