US383119A - House-warming apparatus and stove - Google PatentsHouse-warming apparatus and stove Download PDF
- Publication number
- US383119A US383119A US383119DA US383119A US 383119 A US383119 A US 383119A US 383119D A US383119D A US 383119DA US 383119 A US383119 A US 383119A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 238000010792 warming Methods 0.000 title description 2
- 238000005192 partition Methods 0.000 description 4
- 238000002485 combustion reaction Methods 0.000 description 3
- 206010022000 Influenza Diseases 0.000 description 2
- 238000010276 construction Methods 0.000 description 2
- 229910001018 Cast iron Inorganic materials 0.000 description 1
- 241000272470 Circus Species 0.000 description 1
- 238000010438 heat treatment Methods 0.000 description 1
- 230000002452 interceptive Effects 0.000 description 1
- F—MECHANICAL ENGINEERING; LIGHTING; HEATING; WEAPONS; BLASTING
- F24—HEATING; RANGES; VENTILATING
- F24C—DOMESTIC STOVES OR RANGES ; DETAILS OF DOMESTIC STOVES OR RANGES, OF GENERAL APPLICATION
- F24C13/00—Stoves or ranges with additional provisions for heating water
( No Model.)
HOUSE WARMING APPARATUS AND STOVE. No. 383,119.
Patented May 22, 1888.
WW I Mao 04w.
l W M N. PETERS. PholoLilhngmphar. Wnhingiun, DAG,
UNITED STATES PATENT, rrrcni JACOB FRIES, OF READING, PENNSYLVANIA.
HOUSE WARMING APPARATUS AND STOVE.
SPECIFICATION forming part of Letters Patent No. 383,119, dated May 22, 1888.
Application filed June 10, 1886. Serial No. 204,782. (No model.)
To aZZ whom it may concern.-
Be it known that I, J AOOB FRIES, of Reading, Pennsylvania, have invented certain new and useful Improvements in House-VVarming Apparatus and Stoves; and I do declare the following to be a full, clear, and exact description of the invention, such as will enable others skilled in the art to which it appertains to make and use the same, reference being had to the accompanying drawings, and to the letters and figures of reference marked thereon, which form a part of this specification.
My invention relates to special apparatus for utilizing the heat generated in an ordinary kitchen stove or range for the purpose of heating other rooms in the house, the latter being provided with radiators or pipes through which water heated in my apparatus is circu lated.
Figure 1 is aside elevation of a cookingstove, showing my water-heater attached, with the wall of its inclosing-case removed, reveal ing its internal arrangement. Fig. 2 is a similar elevation, a portion of the inclosing-case being cut away and the water-chamber removed, so as to show the openings in the stove. Fig. 3 is a partial cross-section through (6 a of Fig. 2. The refractory lining shown should preferably be omitted, and in stoves especially adapted to have my apparatus attached the heater may be directly exposed to the fire.
A represents any ordinary form of cookingstove, having a fire-pot, A communicating with a smoke-flue, A.
A are heater inlet-openings from the firepot, adapted to be closed by a damper, A, and an undampered outlet-opening, A, connects the casing of the waterheater with the smokeflue of the stove.
My water-heater is preferably constructed with a horizontal flat reservoir, B, connected by pipes B with the main water-chamber G. The latter is shown as made up of two sections, each in the shape of a rectangular box provided with vertical open flues 0. They are united by union-connections O top and bottom, and are separated by a partition, 0
at the top of the casing.
as shown, is formed of separate cast-iron sides, back, and bottom, the overlapping top of the stove-in the form illustrated forming the top of the casing. A space is left between the bottom of the heater and the bottom of the casing, which forms a communicating passage between sections and collects any dirt carried from the fire-box. Provision is made to readily remove the latter. Pipes D, E, and F, with regulating-cocks G, respectively supply cold Water, convey the hot water to the radiators, 8m, and return it again to the heater.
The apparatus described is adapted to be readily connected to many old forms of stoves without involving any great trouble or expense, but may be applied with better advantage to'new stoves especially designed for it. When the heater inlet-openings A*are closed by the damper A the products of combustion are passed around the oven, or direct to the fines, as may be desired, or as the design of the stove will permit. This construction forms no part of my invention, and is therefore not shown. When the damper is open, they pass into the heater-casing, strike the horizontal reservoir 13, are deflected downward through the fines G on one side of the partition 0 then upward through those on the other side, and thence through any suitable outlet, A to the smoke-flue.
When the damper A is closed, the water in the heater is only heated by its direct proximity to the fire, and the products of combustion may be used to heat the oven, if desired. When open, the heating-surface in the dues and outside of the heater is so extensive that the water inclosed is very quickly and thoroughly heated and a positive and rapid circulation maintained throughout the system of piping. During the summer season the ra diators may be cut off and the water circulated only through a hot-water reservoir.
The casing may be made of sheetiron or otherwise varied from the construction shown without interfering with its necessary functions. This also applies to the water-chamber, which may, for instance, be arranged to pass the products of combustion around in stead of through the flues, as shown, and the heating-surface may be increased and the circulation improved by extending it downward still farther, if desired.
What Iwish to secure by Letters Patent are the following claims: g
1. The combination, with a stove having heater inlet-openings from the fire-pot and having outlet-opening communicating with the smoke-flue, of a water-heater consisting of a casing communicating with said openings, and having a partition,,()", between them, said casing inclosing atubular water-chamber connected with supply, delivery, and return water-pipes, and extending below the bottom of said tubular chamber, whereby the products of combustion may be conducted downward through said chamber on one side of said partition and upward on the other side before reaching the smoke-flue, substantially as and for the purpose set forth.
2. The combination, with a stove having heater inlet-openings from the fire-pot and heater outletopening communicating with the smokeilue, of a water-heater consisting ofa casing communicating with said openings, and having apartition, 0, between them, said casing inclosing a reservoir, B, placed above said inlet-openings and attached to a tubular watenehamber connected with supply, delivery, and return water-pipes, and extending below the bottom of said tubular chamber, substantially as and for the purpose set forth.
J AMES R. KENNEY, JNo. H. KEPPELMAN.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US383119A true US383119A (en)||1888-05-22|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US383119D Expired - Lifetime US383119A (en)||House-warming apparatus and stove|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US383119A (en)|
- US US383119D patent/US383119A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US383119A (en)||House-warming apparatus and stove|
|US408008A (en)||Water-heating apparatus|
|US334695A (en)||William h|
|US704009A (en)||Hot-water heating system.|
|US393735A (en)||Steam and warm-air heater|
|US622575A (en)||Thieds to george m|
|US445037A (en)||And heating eange|
|US708373A (en)||Combined hot-air and water or steam heater.|
|US436075A (en)||Hot-air furnace|
|US138543A (en)||Improvement in ranges for cooking and heating|
|US371269A (en)||William m|
|US264835A (en)||Heating apparatus|
|US509669A (en)||Hot-water heater|
|US408263A (en)||Half to herschel a|
|US196884A (en)||Improvement in combined fire-pot and water-heater|
|US1026753A (en)||Water-heating attachment for furnaces.|
|US440970A (en)||Water-heating attachment for ranges|