US190558A - Improvement in mouth-pieces for musical instruments - Google PatentsImprovement in mouth-pieces for musical instruments Download PDF
- Publication number
- US190558A US190558A US190558DA US190558A US 190558 A US190558 A US 190558A US 190558D A US190558D A US 190558DA US 190558 A US190558 A US 190558A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- musical instruments
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 229920000591 gum Polymers 0.000 description 12
- 229920001971 elastomer Polymers 0.000 description 8
- 239000011248 coating agent Substances 0.000 description 4
- 238000000576 coating method Methods 0.000 description 4
- 229920001875 Ebonite Polymers 0.000 description 2
- 240000002027 Ficus elastica Species 0.000 description 2
- 239000000899 Gutta-Percha Substances 0.000 description 2
- 229920000588 Gutta-percha Polymers 0.000 description 2
- 240000000342 Palaquium gutta Species 0.000 description 2
- 238000010276 construction Methods 0.000 description 2
- 150000002500 ions Chemical class 0.000 description 2
- 229920001195 polyisoprene Polymers 0.000 description 2
- G10—MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS; ACOUSTICS
- G10D—STRINGED MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS; WIND MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS; ACCORDIONS OR CONCERTINAS; PERCUSSION MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS; AEOLIAN HARPS; SINGING-FLAME MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS; MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS NOT OTHERWISE PROVIDED FOR
- G10D9/00—Details of, or accessories for, wind musical instruments
- G10D9/02—Mouthpieces; Reeds; Ligatures
- G10D9/03—Cupped mouthpieces
C. G. CONN.
MOUTH-PIECE FOR MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS. No. 190,568. Patented May a, 1877.
WITN SSES INVENTO H QM I 3 (w, A/fOI'HflI/h' N. PETERS. FHOTQJJTHQGRAPHER. WASHlNGTON. 0 c.
. NI'IED STATES CHARLES G. CONN, OF ELKHART, INDIANA.
IMPROVEMENT IN MOUTH-PIECES FOR MU$ICAL lNSTRUlVlENTS.
Specification forming part of Letters Patent No. 190,55Q, dated May 8, 1877; application filed March 22, 1877.
To all whom it may concern:
Be it known that 1, Cinemas G. GoNN, of Elkhart, in the county of Elkhart and State of Indiana, have invented certain Improvements in the Construction of Mouth-Pieces for Musical Instruments, of which the following is a specifica ion:
This invention relates, first, to certain improvements on the, mouth-piece for which I obtained Letters Patent dated 23d of February, 1875, No. 160,164, and consists in forming within the annular recess of the mouthpiece of musical instruments any desired number of indentations, grooves, or raised surfaces, in which the vulcanizable gum, constituting the outer surface or rim of the mouthpiece, is allowed to run, causing, by its adherence thereto, the permanent fixing within the recess of said gum. I
My invention consists, secondly, in providing the face of the mouth-piece of musical instruments with a coating of rubber or other vulcanizable gum hardened to any desired degree.
In the accompanying drawing, Figure l is a longitudinal section on the
line 1 1, Fig. 2, of a mouth-piece ready for the reception of the rubber rim. Fig. 2 is a front view of the same. Fig. 3 is a longitudinal section on the line 3 3, Fig. 4, of a mouth-piece with the rubber rim applied. Fig. 4 is a front view of the same.
In carrying my present invention into operation, I prefer to proceed as follows: Within the annular recess a of the mouth-piece or embouchere described in my patent above re ferred to, I form, by a lathe or other suitable means, a groove or a series of grooves, indentations, or raised surfaces, 12, either alone or it the required shape and position. The whole is then placed in a vulcnnizer and the gum vulcanized to any desired degree in any ordinary manner by heat, either with or without pressure.
By the means above described I am enabled to secure the perfect adhesion to metallic or other surfaces of either india-rubber, guttapercha, or other vulcanizable gums, and by curing the same to either a hard or soft condition after its application to such surface, I produce an article that will stand a very considerable amount of wear or use without becoming loose or breaking away from the surface to which it is applied.
Having thus described my invention, the following is what I claim as new and desire to secure by Letters Patent- 1. A mouth-piece for musical instruments, constructed with a rim of rubber or other vulcanizable gum secured within a recess or recesses in the face, substantially as shown.
2. The improved mouthpiece herein described, providcd upon its face with a coating of hard rubber or other vulcanizable gum, substantially as set forth.
CHARLES G. CONN.
G. W. FISH, J. H. Hu'roHIsoN.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US190558A true US190558A (en)||1877-05-08|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US190558D Expired - Lifetime US190558A (en)||Improvement in mouth-pieces for musical instruments|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US190558A (en)|
- US US190558D patent/US190558A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US190558A (en)||Improvement in mouth-pieces for musical instruments|
|US1117056A (en)||Musical-instrument pick.|
|US1039814A (en)||Toy whistle.|
|US776070A (en)||Horn for sound-reproducing instruments.|
|US235959A (en)||Gustav otto|
|US516988A (en)||Mouthpiece for musical wind-instruments|
|USD49905S (en)||Design for a golf-ball|
|US1007296A (en)||Rubber gear for water-meters.|
|US1050344A (en)||Mouthpiece for cornets.|
|US466140A (en)||Mouth-piece for speaking-tubes|
|US414660A (en)||Campaign horn|
|USD42331S (en)||Design for an automobile-top|
|USD45829S (en)||Charles s|
|US350348A (en)||Edwaed n|
|USD51198S (en)||Design fob|
|USD44994S (en)||Design for a handle for hand-actuated warning-signals|
|USD45788S (en)||Design for a cheek-piece for bits|
|USD51423S (en)||Design por a tire-tread|
|USD44589S (en)||Design for an atjtomobile-horn and motor-casing|
|USD44723S (en)||Design for a vehicle-tire|
|USD46404S (en)||Design for a megaphone|