US169350A - Improvement in heads for barrels and kegs - Google PatentsImprovement in heads for barrels and kegs Download PDF
- Publication number
- US169350A US169350A US169350DA US169350A US 169350 A US169350 A US 169350A US 169350D A US169350D A US 169350DA US 169350 A US169350 A US 169350A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 241000238631 Hexapoda Species 0.000 description 3
- 239000003570 air Substances 0.000 description 2
- 238000010276 construction Methods 0.000 description 1
- 230000000875 corresponding Effects 0.000 description 1
- 238000001704 evaporation Methods 0.000 description 1
- 235000021110 pickles Nutrition 0.000 description 1
- 230000036633 rest Effects 0.000 description 1
- 238000007789 sealing Methods 0.000 description 1
- 238000004642 transportation engineering Methods 0.000 description 1
- A—HUMAN NECESSITIES
- A47—FURNITURE; DOMESTIC ARTICLES OR APPLIANCES; COFFEE MILLS; SPICE MILLS; SUCTION CLEANERS IN GENERAL
- A47K—SANITARY EQUIPMENT NOT OTHERWISE PROVIDED FOR; TOILET ACCESSORIES
- A47K17/00—Other equipment, e.g. separate apparatus for deodorising, disinfecting or cleaning devices without flushing for toilet bowls, seats or covers; Holders for toilet brushes
FOOTE. HEADS FOR BARRELS AND KEGS.
liatented Nov. 2,1875.-
N. PETERS, PHOTO UTHOGRAPHER ASH NGTON u UNITED STATES PATENT QFFIGE.
IMPROVEMENT IN HEADS FOR BARRELS AND KEGS.
Specification forming part of Letters Patent No. 169,350, dated November 2, 1875 application filed September 21, 1875.
To all whom it may concern Be it known that I, EDWARD FooTE,of North Somerville, in the county of Middlesex and State of Massachusetts, have invented certain new and useful Improvementsin Heads for Barrels and Kegs, of which the following is a full, clear, and exact description, reference beinghad to the accompanying drawings,
-' v and to the letters of reference marked thereon, forming a part of this specification.
Myinvention relates to the construction of heads for barrels, kegs, pails, and similar wooden packages; and consists in making the head in such amanner as to exclude air and insects, and at the same time provide ample space for filling or emptying without unheading the package, as will be hereinafter more fully set forth.
In the drawings, Figure 1 represents a sectional view of the upper part of a keg or pail with the improved head. Fig.2 is an edge view of the head in section, showing the manner in which the adjustable part rests when in position; and Fig. 3 is a perspective view of a-complete pail.
The object of my invention is to provide a means of removing a part of the head of a barrel, keg, or pail, for the purpose of filling or removing its contents, without disturbing the hoops of the vessel, and thus preventing the destruction of the contained goods by the evaporation of fluids or access of insects to the contents of the package.
For accomplishing this purpose the head of the barrel or keg is made in two parts-an outer or permanent head, A, and a central, or removable head, B. The permanent or main V head has an opening in the center graduated to the size of the vessel, and is made with beveled edges, as shown in Fig. 2 of the drawings.
The removable head is intended to act as a stopperfor closing the opening, and is also made with a beveled edge. It is adjusted in a reverse position, as shown in the drawings, being driven into the opening about one-half its thickness, or less, as may be desired. The upper part of the stopper, being slightly larger than the opening into which it is introduced, is wedged firmly in position, and is not liable to become loose, but may be released by striking a few blows on one side, when the opposite edge will spring upward toward the corresponding edge of the main head, and so permit its being easily withdrawn. d
For purposes of transportation, additional security is afforded by the strap 0, which is passed over the stopper, and fastened to the main head, thus perfectly sealing the package. The advantages of this method of'closing the heads of barrels, kegs, or other packages intended for the reception of pickles, preserves, and similar goods are obvious, as, by excluding air and insects t'rom'the contents of the vessel, great damage is avoided that would otherwise occur and while ample facilities are afforded for removing the goods when required, the package may yet be quickly sealed and shipped from place to place without loss of its contents.
I claim as my invention- The barrel-head herein described, constructed in two parts, A and B, with beveled edges, relatively arranged as shown, the removable portion B being secured by the strap 0, all as and for the purpose set forth.
I EDWARD FOOTE. Witnesses:
JAMES F. READ, E. L. SCHMIDT.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US169350A true US169350A (en)||1875-11-02|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US169350D Expired - Lifetime US169350A (en)||Improvement in heads for barrels and kegs|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US169350A (en)|
- US US169350D patent/US169350A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US169350A (en)||Improvement in heads for barrels and kegs|
|US970237A (en)||Attachment for beer-cases.|
|US36188A (en)||Improved can for oils,, varnishes, scc|
|US232839A (en)||Tight package|
|US412160A (en)||William e|
|US116398A (en)||Improvement in barrel-heads|
|US98502A (en)||Improved box for coffee, spices|
|US195675A (en)||Improvement in barrel-heads|
|US640121A (en)||Milk-can top and lid.|
|US278743A (en)||Show box cover|
|US142456A (en)||James gilbbeds and milo habeis|
|US25784A (en)||Mode op manufacturing barrels|
|US601702A (en)||Andrew burgland|
|US563683A (en)||Wooden vessel|
|US758957A (en)||Knockdown package.|
|US922270A (en)||Metallic cover.|
|US181241A (en)||Improvement in barrels|
|US222995A (en)||Improvement in cans|
|US204611A (en)||Improvement in shipping-packages|
|US122133A (en)||Improvement in barrels|