US85941A - Improvement in saw-set - Google PatentsImprovement in saw-set Download PDF
- Publication number
- US85941A US85941A US85941DA US85941A US 85941 A US85941 A US 85941A US 85941D A US85941D A US 85941DA US 85941 A US85941 A US 85941A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 210000001847 Jaw Anatomy 0.000 description 20
- 210000003414 Extremities Anatomy 0.000 description 10
- 239000000463 material Substances 0.000 description 8
- 241000763859 Dyckia brevifolia Species 0.000 description 6
- 229910001296 Malleable iron Inorganic materials 0.000 description 4
- 241001646071 Prioneris Species 0.000 description 4
- 238000005452 bending Methods 0.000 description 4
- CWYNVVGOOAEACU-UHFFFAOYSA-N fe2+ Chemical compound [Fe+2] CWYNVVGOOAEACU-UHFFFAOYSA-N 0.000 description 4
- 230000036633 rest Effects 0.000 description 4
- 229910001369 Brass Inorganic materials 0.000 description 2
- 229910000760 Hardened steel Inorganic materials 0.000 description 2
- 210000002832 Shoulder Anatomy 0.000 description 2
- 240000008093 Viburnum opulus Species 0.000 description 2
- 239000010951 brass Substances 0.000 description 2
- 238000010276 construction Methods 0.000 description 2
- B—PERFORMING OPERATIONS; TRANSPORTING
- B23—MACHINE TOOLS; METAL-WORKING NOT OTHERWISE PROVIDED FOR
- B23D—PLANING; SLOTTING; SHEARING; BROACHING; SAWING; FILING; SCRAPING; LIKE OPERATIONS FOR WORKING METAL BY REMOVING MATERIAL, NOT OTHERWISE PROVIDED FOR
- B23D63/00—Dressing the tools of sawing machines or sawing devices for use in cutting any kind of material, e.g. in the manufacture of sawing tools
- B23D63/02—Setting saw teeth by means of hand-operated or foot-operated devices
- B23D63/023—Devices of the portable type carried by one hand and operable by one hand or two hands, e.g. having a pair of tongs
@anni @tbm sAMUEL E. LEAca'oE BANGOR, MAINE., AssiGNoRTo HIMSELE AND EBENEZER w. ELDER.
Laim Paamivq. 85,941, ma .mma/ry 19,1869.
IMPROVEMENT IN SAW-SET.
To all whom 'it ana/y concern:
Be it known that I, SAMUEL F. LEACH, of Bangor, in the county of Penobscot, and State of Maine,-'have invented a new and improved Saw-Set; and I do, hereby declare that the followingds a full, clear, and exact description thereof, which will enable others skilled in the art to make and use my invention, reference being had to the accompanying drawings, and to the letters of reference marked thereon, in which said drawings- 'Figure lis a perspective view of my sawlset; Figure 2 is a perspective view fof the saine with the gauge E removed, an'd with the jaw D broken, to show the die Gr; and l Figure 3. is a sectional view of the jaw D, die G, lever B, and anterior end of limb or arm A.
I now proceed to describe the construction and operation of my improved saw-set.
I construct thelimb A of malleable iron or other" suitable material, and provide the same with the spurs n n' and p p integral therewith.
I shape the anterior portion of the limb A so as to y, form -the planes H I meeting each other, and provide end of the lever B by means of one vor morev cogged teeth and spaces. D is a xed or immovable jaw, of malleable iron or other suitable material and is secured between the spurs n' n by means of the rivet fr.
The jaw D is grooved beneath to allow the play of the lever B and die G, and rests upon shoulders of the spurs an to secure immovability.
I provide the jaw D with the thumb-screws j and 1c, and with the slotted gauge E.
I construct the slotted.v gauge E of brass'or other suitable material, and attach the same to the upper surface of the jaw D by means of the thumb-screw'l by whichthe gauge is set. Its slot permits it to span both the Xed jaw and the die, and also allows its lower edges to rest upon the plane I, thus the better insuring its preserving a true and proper position after it has been adjusted.
F is a spiral spring aiiixed to limb A and lever O, as
shown, and forcing them apart.
The die G, I make of hardened steel or other suitable material, and preferably in one. piece with vthe lever B, of which it forms the anterior part.
I construct the planes H I at an obtuse angle to each other,and with the line of intersection of the two planes sosituated that the point of the die G may fall upon it, the plane I serving as a die-plate to the die Gr, and the plane H serving as a rest to the sawblade while being set.
' The plane I, Inmake broad enough for three teeth of the saw, so that the die acts upon the middle one of the` three, and thus insures the setting of all the teeth at the same angle. v
In operation, the gaugeF is set, by means of the screw l,sov as to allow the tooth of the saw to come almost to its .root under the die G.
The thumb-screws j k are set so as to hold the sawblade down upon the plane H, the screw j being set in line with screw m, so as notte deflectV or distort the blade when both are brought into action, -the screw k being located intermediate the screw j and the die Gr, and hence, also serving to prevent the saw-blade from' springing or bending lback bf the tooth whilethe same is being set, such bending, asis well known, tend- ,ing essentially to destroy the eiciency of the saw, or requiring it, in some cases, to be rebent in a reverse direction.
The saw-set is grasped in one hand by the arm A and long arm of the leverl O. The grasp being tightened, the long arm ofthe lever C is forced downward, causing its short arm to force upward the long arm of thelever B, whose short arm is thus forced downward, and the die Gr presses down the saw-tooth until the latter' rests its entire length upon the die-plate or plane I, setting the saw-tooth straight from its root, and not -in a curva-'increasing toward its point, as is too often the case in saw-sets as generallyconstructed, and which curvature, forfobvious reasons, is a serious detriment to the' saw.
The lever O is vthen thrown up by the spiral spring F, and the operation is repeated -upn alternate teeth. The saw is then turned over, and the reverse teeth are set.
The amount of set may be lessened byscrewing up the gauge-screw m, and in that case the vscrews j and lo are adjusted sc that'the back of the saw-#blade is held between the screws j and m.
My device is applicable to jack-saws, or any other kind of saw having teeth of about the same size, and it gives the set without flattening the tooth. It may also be arranged to be worked by the foot or by power.
What 4I claim as my invention, and desire to secure by Letters Patent, is-
The xed jaw D, with its two screws j. It, arranged and operating in combination` with the limb A, substantially as and for the purpose set forth.
Also, the arrangement of the limb A, thumbscrew m, thumb-screw j, and fixed jaw D, substantially as and for the purposes set forth.
Also, the arrangement of the adjustable slotted gauge E, as shown, so as to span both the xed jaw D and the die, and also to rest upon the plane of the bed I.
i SAML. F. BEACH.
Witnesses SILAs D.' -LEAcH, FRANCIS l?. HALL.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US85941A true US85941A (en)||1869-01-19|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US85941D Expired - Lifetime US85941A (en)||Improvement in saw-set|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US85941A (en)|
- US US85941D patent/US85941A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US85941A (en)||Improvement in saw-set|
|US6112A (en)||Nipper saw-set|
|US406774A (en)||Gage for saws|
|US620856A (en)||Band-saw-setting machine|
|US44411A (en)||Improved saw-set|
|US43698A (en)||Improvement in saw-filing machines|
|US388805A (en)||Device for dressing the teeth of saws|
|US65358A (en)||Jambs e|
|US90638A (en)||Improvement in saw-set|
|US18684A (en)||Machine fob filing- saws|
|US87381A (en)||Improvement in pile for gauging the teeth of cross-cut saws|
|US56100A (en)||Improved saw-gummer|
|US4564A (en)||Machine fob dressing saws|
|US997040A (en)||Saw-tooth shaper.|
|US119462A (en)||Improvement in saw-sets|
|US96077A (en)||Improvement in combined saw-set, cliamp, and vise|