US405485A - Saw-dressing device - Google PatentsSaw-dressing device Download PDF
- Publication number
- US405485A US405485A US405485DA US405485A US 405485 A US405485 A US 405485A US 405485D A US405485D A US 405485DA US 405485 A US405485 A US 405485A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Expired - Lifetime
- 210000003414 Extremities Anatomy 0.000 description 8
- 238000010276 construction Methods 0.000 description 3
- 210000000474 Heel Anatomy 0.000 description 1
- 210000003813 Thumb Anatomy 0.000 description 1
- 230000000875 corresponding Effects 0.000 description 1
- 210000001699 lower leg Anatomy 0.000 description 1
- 239000000463 material Substances 0.000 description 1
- 239000002184 metal Substances 0.000 description 1
- 108010085990 projectin Proteins 0.000 description 1
- B—PERFORMING OPERATIONS; TRANSPORTING
- B23—MACHINE TOOLS; METAL-WORKING NOT OTHERWISE PROVIDED FOR
- B23D—PLANING; SLOTTING; SHEARING; BROACHING; SAWING; FILING; SCRAPING; LIKE OPERATIONS FOR WORKING METAL BY REMOVING MATERIAL, NOT OTHERWISE PROVIDED FOR
- B23D63/00—Dressing the tools of sawing machines or sawing devices for use in cutting any kind of material, e.g. in the manufacture of sawing tools
- B23D63/08—Sharpening the cutting edges of saw teeth
- B23D63/12—Sharpening the cutting edges of saw teeth by grinding
- B23D63/14—Sharpening circular saw blades
(No Model.) 2 SheetsSheet 1.
SAW DRESSING DEVICE Patented June 18, 1889.
ATTORNEY n. PETERS. Pholoulhugnbhar, wanin -m n c (No Model.) 2 Sheets-She et 2.v W. KIRKPATRICK. SAW DRESSING DEVICE.
No. 405,485. Patented June 18, 1889.
lNVE/VTOH 8 M WQ g V By Mu/M,
ATTORNEY UNITED STnTns aTnNT FFICE..
SPECIFICATION forming part of Letters Patent No. 405,485, dated June 18, 1889.
Application filed March 21, 1889. Serial No. 304,108. (No model.) 7
To all whom it may concern.-
Be it known that I, WALTER KIRKPATRICK, of Marinette, in the county of Marinette and State of Wisconsin, have invented a new and useful Implement for Side-Dressing the Teeth of Saws, of which the following is a full, clear, and exact description.
My invention relates to an improvement in implements for side dressing the teeth of saws, and has for its object to provide a device of simple and durable construction capable of application to a saw and of side-dressing a circular or band saw while said saws are in motion.
The invention consists in the novel c011- struction and combination of the several parts, as will be hereinafter more fully set forth, and pointed out in the claims.
Reference is to be had to the accompanying drawings, forming a part of this specification, in which similar figures of reference indicate corresponding parts in all the views.
Figurel is a plan view of the device as applied to a circular saw. Fig.2 is a side elevation of the same. Fig. 3 is a plan view of a slightly modified form of the device adapted for use in connection with a band-saw. Fig. 1 is a perspective view of the file-holder or setting-lever. Fig. 5 is a perspective View of the file, and Fig. 6 is a perspective view of a guide-clamp.
l/Vhen the device is used in connection with a circular saw, the body 10 of the device consists of a suitable bar of metal, slightly bent inward at or near the center and provided near the rear end with a bolt 11, provided with a set or thumb nut 12, which bolt passes inward through a slot 13, formed longitudinally in the shank, into what I designate as an arbor-fork 14, the said fork being adapted to contact with the arbor of the saw 16. The arbor-fork is made adjustable upon the body 10, in order that the device may be accommodated t0 saws of various diameters. The outer end of the body is preferably provided with a side projection 17, in the outer side of which projection a handle 18 is detachably secured, the said handle being preferably attached by passing the reduced upper portion of the handle through a suitable aperture in the projection 17 and passing through the said projection and the handle a bolt 19, provided at one end with a suitable nut, preferably a wing-nut- 20. The bolt 19 is also made to pass through the slotted horizontal member 21 of an angled clamp-plate 22, (illustrated in detail in Fig. 6 and shown in position in Figs. 1 an d 2,) the vertical member 23 of which clamp-plate extends upward parallel with the inner face of the body 10.
Upon the inner side face of the body 10, between the center thereof and the outer extremity, a file holder or lever 2i is fulcrumed, manipulated at the inner end through the medium of a pin 25, attached thereto and projectin g outward through a suitable aperture 26, formed in the body, as best illustrated in Figs. 1 and 3.
Upon the inner face of the file-lever 24, at the outer extremity thereof, abeveled projection 27 is produced, having an undercut recess 28 formed therein, as best illustrated in Fig. 4., in which undercut recess a file 29, of suitable shape, (illustrated in Fig. 5,) is inserted for contact with the outer face of the saw-teeth, and in the said file-lever, to the rear of the recess projection 27, a guide-screw 30 is inserted, the head of which screw is adapted for contact with the face of the saw to limit the depth of the cut of the file upon the face of the saw-teeth. This application of the guide-screw is best illustrated in Fig. 1.
In order to keep the file-carrying end of the lever 24 in contact with the teeth of the saw, a gage-plate 31 is made to engage with the outer face of the said lever near the outer eX- tremity, which gage-plate is held fixedly by being clamped between the vertical member of the clamp-plate 22 and the inner face of the body at the handle end.
In Fig. 3 I have illustrated a form of device especially adapted for use in connection with band-saws. The only practical difference between this form of the device and that illustrated in Fig. 1 for use with circular saws consists in the fact that instead of the arborfork lat being adj ustably attach ed to the body the said fork is substituted by an adjustable block 30, recessed upon the outer face to permit the passage through the said block of the saw 32.
When the device is used in connection with circular saws, the arbor-fork is made to bear upon the arbor of the saw, as shown in Figs. 1 and 2, and the said arbor-fork is adj usted upon the body so that the file 29 will come in contact with the faces of the teeth as the saw is revolved. The screw 30 is so manipulated that itwill contact with the face of the saw when the file has removed sufficient material from the teeth. The gage 31 is then set beneath the lever 24 in such manner that the frictional contact of the file carried by the lever with the saw cannot force the former too far outward. The device is held by the operator grasping the handle 18, and, if desired, also the outer end of the lever-pin 25. When used in connection with bandsaws, the block 30 is adjusted in such manner that the slot therein will just receive and accommodate the heel of the saw.
I desire it to be distinctly understood that while specific construction has been shown and described, other equivalent construction may be employed without departing from the spirit of the inventionas, for instance, the pin 25 may be threaded to screw into the lever 24, or the said lever may be tapered to pass through the pin.
Having thus described my invention, I claim as new and desire to secure by Letters Patent 1. An implement for sidedressing sawteeth, comprising a body having a handle at one end, a guide fork or block detachably secured to the opposite end, and a lever fulcrumed uponthe inner face of the body provided with a guide-screw and a detachable file, all combined for operation substantially as shown and described.
2. In an implement for side-dressing the teeth of saws, the combination, with a body provided with a handle at the outer extremity, of an arbor fork or block adjustably secured to the inner side of the said body near the inner end, alever fulcrumed upon the said inner side of the body forward of the center,
having an undercut recess in the outer extremity, a file detachably held in the said undercut recess, and a guide-screw adapted for contact with the face of the saw, substantially as shown and described.
3. In an implement for side-dressing the teeth of saws, the combination, with a body provided with a handle at the outer extremity and an arbor-fork or saw-receiving arm adj ustably secured to the inner face of the said body near the inner end, of a lever fulcrumed upon the inner face of the said body forward of the center and provided with a manipulating-pin near one extremity, and an offset or projection having an undercut recess in the opposite extremity, a file detachably held in the said' recess of the offset or projection, and a guide-screw passing from the said lever capable of contact with the face of the said saw, substantially as shown and described.
4. The combination, with a body provided with a handle at the outer extremity, of an arbor-fork or saw-receiving block detachably secured to the inner end of said body, a lever fulcrumed upon the body forward of the center, a manipulating-pin attached to the inner end of the said lever and passing through the body, a projection formed upon the inner surface of the lever at the outer end having an undercut recess therein, a file detachably held in the said undercut recess, a guide-screw attached to the lever and capable of contact with the face of the saw, an adjustable clamp attached to the body at the outer end, and a guide-plate held in the said clamp for contact with the outer end of the said lever, all combined for operation substantially as and for the purpose specified.
J AGOB B. DAVIS, FRED F. MARTIN.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US405485A true US405485A (en)||1889-06-18|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US405485D Expired - Lifetime US405485A (en)||Saw-dressing device|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US405485A (en)|
- US US405485D patent/US405485A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US405485A (en)||Saw-dressing device|
|US8026A (en)||Improved saw-set|
|US409866A (en)||William h|
|US471679A (en)||Apparatus for whetting and sharpening the cutting-edges of edge-tools|
|US683842A (en)||Saw-sharpening device.|
|US593793A (en)||Saw-file holder and guide|
|US934510A (en)||Saw-filing device.|
|US54709A (en)||Improved saw-filing machine|
|US193182A (en)||Improvement in saw-set and file-guide|
|US690075A (en)||Tool for shaping swaged saw-teeth.|
|US373148A (en)||Saw-filing device|
|US298820A (en)||Baenaed s|
|US333092A (en)||Device for setting|
|US87289A (en)||Improvement in machine for filing saws|
|US159631A (en)||Improvement in saw-filing machines|
|US309533A (en)||Saw-tooth-swaging device|
|US308670A (en)||Saw-filing machine|
|US346541A (en)||John w|
|US679634A (en)||Saw-tooth gage.|
|US384829A (en)||Saw-filing device|
|US455727A (en)||Saw-filing device|
|US137756A (en)||Improvement in saw-sets|
|US1407168A (en)||Saw-filing mechanism|