US211443A - Improvement in bale-ties - Google PatentsImprovement in bale-ties Download PDF
- Publication number
- US211443A US211443A US211443DA US211443A US 211443 A US211443 A US 211443A US 211443D A US211443D A US 211443DA US 211443 A US211443 A US 211443A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 229920000742 Cotton Polymers 0.000 description 2
- 210000003414 Extremities Anatomy 0.000 description 2
- B—PERFORMING OPERATIONS; TRANSPORTING
- B65—CONVEYING; PACKING; STORING; HANDLING THIN OR FILAMENTARY MATERIAL
- B65D—CONTAINERS FOR STORAGE OR TRANSPORT OF ARTICLES OR MATERIALS, e.g. BAGS, BARRELS, BOTTLES, BOXES, CANS, CARTONS, CRATES, DRUMS, JARS, TANKS, HOPPERS, FORWARDING CONTAINERS; ACCESSORIES, CLOSURES, OR FITTINGS THEREFOR; PACKAGING ELEMENTS; PACKAGES
- B65D63/00—Flexible elongated elements, e.g. straps, for bundling or supporting articles
- B65D63/10—Non-metallic straps, tapes, or bands; Filamentary elements, e.g. strings, threads or wires; Joints between ends thereof
- B65D63/14—Joints produced by application of separate securing members
- Y—GENERAL TAGGING OF NEW TECHNOLOGICAL DEVELOPMENTS; GENERAL TAGGING OF CROSS-SECTIONAL TECHNOLOGIES SPANNING OVER SEVERAL SECTIONS OF THE IPC; TECHNICAL SUBJECTS COVERED BY FORMER USPC CROSS-REFERENCE ART COLLECTIONS [XRACs] AND DIGESTS
- Y10—TECHNICAL SUBJECTS COVERED BY FORMER USPC
- Y10T—TECHNICAL SUBJECTS COVERED BY FORMER US CLASSIFICATION
- Y10T24/00—Buckles, buttons, clasps, etc.
- Y10T24/14—Bale and package ties, hose clamps
- Y10T24/1492—Separate connections
J. M. VAN DERZEB. Bale-Tie.
No 211,443. Patented Jan. 14, 1879.
Invarfthr= UNITED STATES PATENT O EIoE.
JOHN M. VAN DERZEE, OF NEW BALTIMORE, NEW YORK.
IMPROVEMENT IN BALE-TIES.
Specification forming part of Letters Patent No. 211,443, dated January 14, 1879; application filed November 2, 1878.
To all whom it may concern.-
Be it known that I, JOHN M. VAN DERZEE, of New Baltimore, in the county of Greene and State of New York, have invented certain new and useful Improvements in Bale-Ties; and I do hereby declare the following to be a full, clear, and exact description of the invention, such as will enable others skilled inthe art to which it pertains to make and use it, reference being had to the accompanying drawings, which form part of this specification.
My invention relates to an improvement in cotton-bale ties; and it consists in making the fastening in two parts, which are held together at one end by one end of the wire, while the other end has a groove made in it, and is so shaped that the other end of the wire passes down over it, and the end itself, which is bent across the circle, fits in the groove of the fastening, as will be more fully described hereinafter.
Figure 1 is a side view of the fastening. Fig. 2 is a plan view, and Fig. 4 is a plan view of one end of the loop. Fig. 3 is a perspective of one half of the fastening.
a to represent the two parts which form the fastening, and which are shaped like a letter C. Each of these parts is entirely separate, and the two are held together by one end of the wire I), which has a loop, 0, formed in it, and then the end cl is turned backward right across the center of the circle.
In the inner edge of each part a is formed a groove, 6, in which the end d fits, while the loop 0 passes around. the
ends 9 and holds them tightlytogether. The other ends, 'i, of the parts a have their inner sides cut away enough to form a groove, 0, down into which the straight end '1" of the other end of the wire fits. Both ends of the wire have a loop upon them, and the end turned back across the center of the loop, and while one end of the wire is fastened permanently to the fastening the other end can be passed down over the grooved end of the fastening and removed at pleasure.
The greater the strain upon the wire the more tightly do the ends draw around the ends of the castings and hold them securely together.
By making the fastening in two parts I avoid all twisting, clinching, and hammering the wire, which only weakens it, and very frequently causes it to break in thoseplaces.
Owing to the shape of the parts, two or three hundred bands can be put together and form a round bundle, which is easily handled, and prevents tanglin g or the loops being bent shut by being stepped on. A bundle of my wire bands can be hung on apeg on the side of the press, always ready for use, and without being in the way.
This invention is especially adapted for baling hay.
Having thus described my invention, I claim- 1. A fastening fora band for bales, composed of two parts, which are secured together by one end of the band or wire, substantially as shown.
2. A fastening for bale bands or wires, composed of two parts, one end of which is provided with a groove, e, and the other with a recess, o, in combination with a wire, I), having a loop and turned-back end at each of its extremities, substantially as set forth.
In testimony that I claim the foregoing I have hereunto set my hand this 26th day of October, 1878.
JOHN M. VAN DERZEE.
FRANK M. ORANDELL, EUGENE VANDERZEE.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US211443A true US211443A (en)||1879-01-14|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US211443D Expired - Lifetime US211443A (en)||Improvement in bale-ties|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US211443A (en)|
- US US211443D patent/US211443A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US211443A (en)||Improvement in bale-ties|
|US201003A (en)||Improvement in bale-ties|
|US466609A (en)||Edwin s|
|US125795A (en)||John w|
|US187161A (en)||Improvement in bale-ties|
|US229392A (en)||Lemuel e|
|US220235A (en)||Improvement in bale-ties|
|US299064A (en)||Lemuel e|
|US203444A (en)||Improvement in bale-ties|
|US129189A (en)||Improvement in cotton-bale -ties|
|US172434A (en)||Improvement in buckles for cotton-baling|
|US174730A (en)||Improvement in bale-ties|
|US146911A (en)||Improvement in cotton-bale ties|
|US182757A (en)||Improvement in bale-ties|
|US150885A (en)||Improvement in bale-ties|
|US190076A (en)||Iivlproveivjewt in bale-ties|
|US159463A (en)||Improvement in bale-ties|
|US154797A (en)||Improvement in bale-ties|
|US193808A (en)||Improvement in bale-ties|
|US272891A (en)||Edwin s|
|US170589A (en)||Improvement in bale-ties|