US179609A - Improvement in breech-loading fire-arms - Google PatentsImprovement in breech-loading fire-arms Download PDF
- Publication number
- US179609A US179609A US179609DA US179609A US 179609 A US179609 A US 179609A US 179609D A US179609D A US 179609DA US 179609 A US179609 A US 179609A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 238000011068 load Methods 0.000 title description 12
- 238000010276 construction Methods 0.000 description 2
- 238000010304 firing Methods 0.000 description 2
- 238000003825 pressing Methods 0.000 description 2
- F—MECHANICAL ENGINEERING; LIGHTING; HEATING; WEAPONS; BLASTING
- F41A—FUNCTIONAL FEATURES OR DETAILS COMMON TO BOTH SMALLARMS AND ORDNANCE, e.g. CANNONS; MOUNTINGS FOR SMALLARMS OR ORDNANCE
- F41A3/00—Breech mechanisms, e.g. locks
- F41A3/02—Block action, i.e. the main breech opening movement being transverse to the barrel axis
- F41A3/04—Block action, i.e. the main breech opening movement being transverse to the barrel axis with pivoting breech-block
J. C. RICHARDS;
No.179,609. Patented July 4.1876.
N.FETERS. PHOT0 LITNOGRA'FHER WASHINGTON, DC.
UNITED STATES PATENT OFFICE.
JOHN G. RICHARDS, OF PHILIPSBURG, PENNSYLVANIA, ASSIGNOR TO HIMSELF AND THOMAS B. POTTER, 0F SAME PLACE.
IMPROVEMENT IN BREECH-LOA DING FIRE-ARMS.
Specification forming part of Letters Patent No. 179,609, dated July 4, 1876; application filed May 31, 1876.
To all whom it may concern Be it known that I, JOHN G. RICHARDS, of Philipsburg, in the county of Centre and State of Pennsylvania, have invented certain new and useful Improvements in Breech-Loading Fire -Arms; and I do hereby declare that the following is a full, clear, and exact description thereof, which will enable others skilled in the art to which it appertains to make and use the same, reference being had to the accon'ipanying drawings, and to the letters of reference marked thereon, which form a part of this specification.
The nature of my invention consists in the construction and arrangement of a mechanism for opening and closing the breech of a breech-loading fire-arm, and is more particularly designed for use in changing an ordinary muzzle'loading gun into a breechloader.
In the annexed drawing, Figure l is a plan view of my invention. Fig. 2 is a side elevation of the same. Fig. 3 is alongitudinal section thereof.
A represents a portion of the barrel, and B the breech-pin, of an ordinary muzzle-loading gun. The breech of the barrel Ais open on top, and provided with a breech-block, O, which is provided at its front end with a firing -pin, a, passing through the same, as shown, and on top with an arm, I), which is bent forward and hinged to a band, E, encircling the barrel. A dovetailed block, or block secured by screws or other suitable device, may be. used in place of the hand. To this band, on the same axis, is also hinged the lever D, which closes the open top of the barrel. Through this lever passes the firing-pin d, which is to be struck by the hammer, and, in turn, strike the pin a, for exploding the cartridge. The breech-block O is, near its rear end, on top, provided with a hinged arm,
h, the upper end of which is slotted, and passes over a pin, '1 between two cars on the under side of the lever D. To another car on the under side of said lever is hinged the breechpin G, which is provided with an arm, H, as Shown.
Upon withdrawing the breech or locking pin G by raising the lever, when the gun is held in ordinary position, all the parts drop to their proper positions. The locking-pin G drops into a recess, 00, and presses it to its place in the slot by press ing on the lever D. By now drawing the arm H toward the lever D, without releasing the pressure on said lever, the lockingpiu at once fills up the hole at the rear of the breechblock, being prevented from turning too far to the rear by coming in contact with the upper edge of the barrel.
Having thus fully described my invention, what I claim as new, and desire to secure by Letters Patent, is-
l. The breech-block 0, provided with the rigid bent arm I) and the pivoted slotted arm d, in combination with the barrelA and lever D, substantially as herein set forth.
2. The swinging locking-pin G, in eombination with the breech-block G and lever 1), substantially as and for the purposes herein set forth.
3. The combination of the barrel A, breechblock 0, lever-D, and swinging locking-pin G, with arm H, all constructed substantially as and for the purposes herein set forth.
In testimony that I claim the foregoing as my own I affix my signature in presence of two witnesses.
1 JOHN G. RICHARDS.- Witnesses:
G. W. MCGAFFEY, OWEN HANCOCK.
on the breech-block 0,
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US179609A true US179609A (en)||1876-07-04|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US179609D Expired - Lifetime US179609A (en)||Improvement in breech-loading fire-arms|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US179609A (en)|
- US US179609D patent/US179609A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US179609A (en)||Improvement in breech-loading fire-arms|
|US261648A (en)||Breech-loading fire-arm|
|US441389A (en)||Combined rifle and shotgun|
|US42702A (en)||Improvement in cartridge-retractors for breech-loading fire-arms|
|US125775A (en)||Improvement in breech-loading fire-arms|
|US159592A (en)||Improvement in reversible firing-pins for breech-loading fire-arms|
|US728326A (en)||Barrel-lock for firearms.|
|US197892A (en)||Improvement in breech-loading fire-arms|
|US181301A (en)||Heney j|
|US142396A (en)||Improvement in breech-loading fire-arms|
|US37048A (en)||Improvement in b reech-loading fire-arms|
|US153509A (en)||Improvement in breech-loading fire-arms|
|US209444A (en)||Improvement in fire-arms|
|US189026A (en)||Improvement in breech-loading fire-arms|
|US123159A (en)||Improvement in breech-loading fire-arms|
|USRE5167E (en)||Improvement in breech-loading fire-arms|
|US44798A (en)||Improvement in breech-loading fire-arms|
|US220271A (en)||Improvement in breech-loading fire-arms|
|US131487A (en)||Improvement in breech-loading fire-arms|
|US327860A (en)||Breech-loading fire-arm|
|US160880A (en)||Improvement in breech-toadlwgi fire|
|US187280A (en)||Improvement in breech-loading fire-arms|
|US209613A (en)||Improvement in breech-loading fire-arms|