US164472A - Improvement in organ-reeds - Google PatentsImprovement in organ-reeds Download PDF
- Publication number
- US164472A US164472A US164472DA US164472A US 164472 A US164472 A US 164472A US 164472D A US164472D A US 164472DA US 164472 A US164472 A US 164472A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 210000003165 Abomasum Anatomy 0.000 description 20
- 241000745987 Phragmites Species 0.000 description 20
- 235000014676 Phragmites communis Nutrition 0.000 description 20
- 230000000694 effects Effects 0.000 description 4
- 230000000284 resting Effects 0.000 description 4
- 240000001973 Ficus microcarpa Species 0.000 description 2
- 241001235534 Graphis <ascomycete fungus> Species 0.000 description 2
- 238000010276 construction Methods 0.000 description 2
- 230000000875 corresponding Effects 0.000 description 2
- 210000000056 organs Anatomy 0.000 description 2
- G10—MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS; ACOUSTICS
- G10D—STRINGED MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS; WIND MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS; ACCORDIONS OR CONCERTINAS; PERCUSSION MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS; AEOLIAN HARPS; SINGING-FLAME MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS; MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS NOT OTHERWISE PROVIDED FOR
- G10D7/00—General design of wind musical instruments
- G10D7/12—Free-reed wind instruments
J. E. NORTON.
Urganf-Reeds. No. 164,472. y Parenwdjunem, 1875.
@p5 his NLNHS THE GRAPHI C0.UHO'T0 'UTH.39 8u PARK PLACEJLY.
.. NITED STATES PATENT OFFICE.
JABEZ E. NORTON, OF WORCESTER, MASSACHUSETTS, ASSIGNOR TO TAYLOR & FARLEY ORGAN COMPANY, OF SAME PLACE.
IMPROVEMENT IN ORGAN-REEDS.
Specification forming part of Letters Patent No. 164,472, dated June 15, 1875; application filed February 20, 1875.
To all whom 'it may concern:
Be it known that I, JABEZ E. NORTON, of Worcester, in the county of Worcester and State of Massachusetts, have invented a new and valuable Improvement in Organ-Reeds 5 and I do hereby declare that the following is a full, clear, and exact description of the same, reference being had to the accompanying` drawing and to the letters of reference marked thereon.
My invention consists in the introduction of a metallic lining, below described, into the reed-chamber otl a reed-organ, for the purpose of producing a cornet tone. The said lining may be attached to the sides of the reed-chamber, resting in grooves, or it may be built upon the reed-block itself', in either instance producing a very beautiful solo stop.
In the accompanying illustration, Figure l represents atop view ot' two reeds in th eir chambers, having` my improvement attached, and sufficient portions ofthe reed-board and sounding-board to illustrate the invention. Figs. 2 and are longitudinal vertical sections through the two reed-chambers shown in Fig. l. Fig. 4 is an enlarged view of a cross vertical section through Fig. l.
Similar letters ot' reference indicate corresponding parts.
a is the tube or reed board, and b is the sounding board, both constructed as usual.
`c c are the reed-chambers; d d, the wind-openings below the reeds 5 e e, the reed-blocks, and f fthe reeds, all constructed in the ordinary manner. h, as seen in Figs. 1, 8, and 4, is a curved or arched metallic lining placed inside the reedchamber over the reed, and resting upon grooves in the opposite sides of the said reed chamber. It extends to the extreme end of the said chamber, and imparts the cornet sound to the tone, as above mentioned. h', as seen in Figs. 2 and 4t, is a variation of the lining h, and produces the same effect. The lining h is of the same arched shape, is built upon the reed-blocks c, and extends over the reed, and to the farther end ofthe chamber c. The princi-ple is the same in both cases, and the effect is exactly similar.
Of course it Will be understood that my invention is not designed to be used exclusively as a solo stop, although it makes a very beautiful cornet stop.
Having thus fully described my invention, I do not claim anything novel in the construction of the reed, reed block, reed boa-rd, or sounding-board 5 but What I claim, and desire to secure by Letters Patent, is-
1. The combination, with the reed-chamber c, of the metallic lining h, arranged to be supported by the sides of the said chamber, substantially in the manner and for the purpose above set forth.
2. In combination with the reed-block e, the metallic lining h, secured to, or formed with, said block, substantially as described.
JABEZ E. NORTON. Witnesses:
J. HENRY HILL, GEORGE S. HoWE.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US164472A true US164472A (en)||1875-06-15|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US164472D Expired - Lifetime US164472A (en)||Improvement in organ-reeds|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US164472A (en)|
- US US164472D patent/US164472A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US164472A (en)||Improvement in organ-reeds|
|US142166A (en)||Improvement in steam-whistles|
|US466501A (en)||Musical instrument|
|US722561A (en)||Sound-beam for violins.|
|US494485A (en)||Attachment for guitars|
|US122979A (en)||Improvement in reed-organs|
|US164871A (en)||Improvement in tremolos for organs|
|US140750A (en)||Improvement in reed-boards for organs|
|US247099A (en)||Valve-tremolo for reed-organs|
|US388490A (en)||Jacob hessleb|
|USRE8771E (en)||Improvement in reed-organs|
|US183522A (en)||Improvement in organ-reeds|
|US176301A (en)||Improvement in reed-organs|
|US104653A (en)||Improvement in reed-organs|
|US752295A (en)||Matthias messneb|
|US152599A (en)||Improvement in organ-couplers|
|US152159A (en)||Improvement in piano sounding-boards|
|US207906A (en)||Improvement in reed-organs|
|US169945A (en)||Improvement in reed-organs|