US160164A - Improvement in mouth-pieces for musical instruments - Google PatentsImprovement in mouth-pieces for musical instruments Download PDF
- Publication number
- US160164A US160164A US160164DA US160164A US 160164 A US160164 A US 160164A US 160164D A US160164D A US 160164DA US 160164 A US160164 A US 160164A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- musical instruments
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 210000000088 Lip Anatomy 0.000 description 6
- 206010016256 Fatigue Diseases 0.000 description 2
- 238000010276 construction Methods 0.000 description 2
- 210000004369 Blood Anatomy 0.000 description 1
- 240000002027 Ficus elastica Species 0.000 description 1
- 206010022114 Injury Diseases 0.000 description 1
- 230000003796 beauty Effects 0.000 description 1
- 239000008280 blood Substances 0.000 description 1
- 239000004568 cement Substances 0.000 description 1
- 210000001699 lower leg Anatomy 0.000 description 1
- 239000000463 material Substances 0.000 description 1
- 239000002184 metal Substances 0.000 description 1
- 229920001195 polyisoprene Polymers 0.000 description 1
- 238000009877 rendering Methods 0.000 description 1
- 230000002522 swelling Effects 0.000 description 1
- G10—MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS; ACOUSTICS
- G10D—STRINGED MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS; WIND MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS; ACCORDIONS OR CONCERTINAS; PERCUSSION MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS; AEOLIAN HARPS; SINGING-FLAME MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS; MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS NOT OTHERWISE PROVIDED FOR
- G10D9/00—Details of, or accessories for, wind musical instruments
- G10D9/02—Mouthpieces; Reeds; Ligatures
- G10D9/03—Cupped mouthpieces
C. G. CONN.
Mouth-Piece for Musical-Instruments.
No. 160,164 Patented Feb.23,1875..
WITNESSES INVENTOR gatwwv I I .By%/(;@Aiivmeys THE GRAPHIC CD-PHUTO whit-'39 1k 4'! PARK PLAGE,N.Y.
UNITED STATES PATENT ()FFICE.
CHARLES G. CONN, OF ELKHART, INDIANA IMPROVEMENT lN MOUTH-PIECES FOR MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS.
Specification forming part cf Letters Patent No. 160,164, dated February 23, 1875; application filed I December 5, 1874.
To all whom it may concern:
Be it known that 1, CHARLES G. CONN, of Elkhart, in the county of Elkhart and State of Indiana, have invented a new and useful Improvement in Mouth-Pieces for Musical Instruments, of which the following is a specification:
My invention consists in constructing the mouth-piece or embouchure of wind-instruments with an elastic face where the mouthpiece comes in contact with the lips, the object being to prevent fatigue and injury to the lips, and enable the performer to play with much greater ease and certainty than is possible with the rigid mouthpiece now in use.
The accompanying drawing is a longitudinal section of a mouth-piece illustrating my invention.
A represents the shank, and B the embouchure of a mouth-piece, of any ordinary construction, for a wind-instrument of any description. 0 represents a flexible or elastic face, preferably constructed of soft india-rubber, and secured to the face of the ordinary embouchure B by cement or otherwise.
It will be observed that my improved construction of the embouchure is flexible, and
where the mouth-piece comes in contact with the lips it is soft, and hence does not destroy their sensibility by rendering them puffy, as does the metal mouth-piece; consequently it is never liable to produce a fuzzy tone. The performer can play in the upper register with the same ease and facility that he plays the lower tone, articulating each note perfectly, and never marring the beauty and finish of the part he isperforming by trying to humor a worn -out lip. The elasticity of the embouchure affords a cushion for the lips which does not prevent the circulation of blood while playing, and consequently it produces no swelling of the lips.
The improved mouth-piece may be handsomely finished, according to taste, or in any style similar to mouth'pieces in common use.
I claim as new and of my invention- The annular cushion O, of elastic material, applied to the face of a mouth-piece, B, of common form, in the manner specified.
CHARLES G. CONN. Witnesses:
CHAS. W. Frsn, J. M. VANFLEET.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US160164A true US160164A (en)||1875-02-23|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US160164D Expired - Lifetime US160164A (en)||Improvement in mouth-pieces for musical instruments|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US160164A (en)|
- US US160164D patent/US160164A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US160164A (en)||Improvement in mouth-pieces for musical instruments|
|US779360A (en)||Articulating instrument.|
|US1009403A (en)||Pick for mandolins, zithers, and similar stringed musical instruments.|
|US1074939A (en)||Attachment for violin-players.|
|US926462A (en)||Bath and complexion brush.|
|US466501A (en)||Musical instrument|
|US152554A (en)||Improvement in musical toys|
|US1411563A (en)||Mouthpiece for clarinets and saxophones|
|US491646A (en)||Mouthpiece for musical instruments|
|US1526030A (en)||Sounding toy|
|US164871A (en)||Improvement in tremolos for organs|
|US350521A (en)||Musical toy|
|US274617A (en)||William lang|
|US1092507A (en)||Musical instrument.|
|US1050344A (en)||Mouthpiece for cornets.|
|US240835A (en)||Theodore meinhold|
|US516988A (en)||Mouthpiece for musical wind-instruments|
|US972823A (en)||Mouthpiece for musical instruments.|
|US8449A (en)||Mouthpiece for wind instruments|
|US183977A (en)||Improvement in musical instruments|
|US646539A (en)||Musical sounding-board.|