US144356A - Improvement in valves for water-pipes - Google PatentsImprovement in valves for water-pipes Download PDF
- Publication number
- US144356A US144356A US144356DA US144356A US 144356 A US144356 A US 144356A US 144356D A US144356D A US 144356DA US 144356 A US144356 A US 144356A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- F—MECHANICAL ENGINEERING; LIGHTING; HEATING; WEAPONS; BLASTING
- F16—ENGINEERING ELEMENTS AND UNITS; GENERAL MEASURES FOR PRODUCING AND MAINTAINING EFFECTIVE FUNCTIONING OF MACHINES OR INSTALLATIONS; THERMAL INSULATION IN GENERAL
- F16K—VALVES; TAPS; COCKS; ACTUATING-FLOATS; DEVICES FOR VENTING OR AERATING
- F16K27/00—Construction of housing; Use of materials therefor
- F16K27/02—Construction of housing; Use of materials therefor of lift valves
- F16K27/0272—Construction of housing; Use of materials therefor of lift valves valves provided with a lining
- Y—GENERAL TAGGING OF NEW TECHNOLOGICAL DEVELOPMENTS; GENERAL TAGGING OF CROSS-SECTIONAL TECHNOLOGIES SPANNING OVER SEVERAL SECTIONS OF THE IPC; TECHNICAL SUBJECTS COVERED BY FORMER USPC CROSS-REFERENCE ART COLLECTIONS [XRACs] AND DIGESTS
- Y10—TECHNICAL SUBJECTS COVERED BY FORMER USPC
- Y10T—TECHNICAL SUBJECTS COVERED BY FORMER US CLASSIFICATION
- Y10T137/00—Fluid handling
- Y10T137/6851—With casing, support, protector or static constructional installations
D. G. PHIPPS. Valves for Wuater-Pipes. N0. 144,356. Patented Nov.4,1873.
nmlli all-umu UNITED STATEs PATENT EEICE.
n. CCFEE PEIrPAs, on NEW HAVEN, CONNECTICUT.
IMPROVEMENT IN VALVES FOR WATER-PIPES.
Specification forming part of Letters Patent No. 144,356, datedV November 4, 1873; application filed August 27, 1873.
To all 'whom it may concern:
i Be it known that I, D. GOEFE Pnrrrs, of New Haven, in the county of New Haven and State of Connecticut, have invented a new Improvement in Valve for Water-l ipes5 and I do herebyT declare the following, when taken in connection with the accompanying drawings and the letters of reference marked thereon, to be a full, clear, and ekactdescrip` tion of the same, and which said drawings constitute part of this speciiieation, and represent, in-
Figure l, aside view, and in Fig. 2 a longitudinal central section enlarged.
This invention relates to an improvement in valves for introduction to cementdined water-pipes. In valves for this purpose it is desirable that the coupling between the pipe and valve should be made the same as for the sections of pipe-that is, so that a sleeve may be slipped over the joint between the valve and pipe, and there cemented in the usual manner; but, as the section which must be attached to the valve for this purpose must be cast with the valve, it exposes a large amount ot' surface of the iron to the action of the water, which rapidly corrodes or oXidizes. The object of my invention is to overcome this difficulty; and it consists in constructing' the valve with a neck projecting from each side, the external diameter corresponding to the pipe with which the valve is to be connectedthat is to say, so that a sleeve may pass over and cover the joint between the pipe and the neck of the valve-and coating the neck from the valve-seat outward with cement.
A is the case, within which the valve B is arranged, and from each side a tubular projection or neck, G, is formed, corresponding to the diameter of the pipe to be connected. D D are valve-seats, which are made from brass or other metal which will not oxidize to any extent by contact with water. These are set into the valve-chamber, as shown in 1Eig. 2, and between which the valve B works.
The valve may be operated in any known manner.
The internal diameter of the neck C is less than that of the valve-seat D, so that the sea-t I) forms a shoulder in the neck. Frein the seats D the projections Care internally coated with a cement lining, E, as denoted in solid black, Fig. 2, the internal diameter corresponding to the diameter of the pipe to be cou nected.
In making connections, the end of a section of pipe is butted against the end of one of the projections, and the joint covered and secured in the usual manner of connecting cement pipe.
Thus I protect the water-way in the valve, so that the water flowing through does not come in contact with the metal; and I am enabled to couple the pipe to the valve in the Same manner as sections of pipe are coupled; and I avoid the. difficulties ot the common valve.
In some valves, and particularly in large valves, I coat the valve-chamber between the valve-seats with cement, as denoted in solid black below the valve in Fig. 2.
Y I claim as my invention- The herein-described valve for water-pipes, consisting of the valve-chamber proper and the valve workin g therein, the said chamber formed with projections or necks C concentric with the valve-seats, and the interior ot' the necks, from the valve-seats outward, lined with cement, substantially as described.
D. GOFFE PHIPPS.
A. J. TIBEITs, J. H. SHUMWAY.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US144356A true US144356A (en)||1873-11-04|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US144356D Expired - Lifetime US144356A (en)||Improvement in valves for water-pipes|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US144356A (en)|
- US US144356D patent/US144356A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US3448768A (en)||Water fixture|
|US486986A (en)||Submerged pipe|
|US2044921A (en)||Two-way hose check valve|
|US2654388A (en)||Backflow preventer|
|US1057939A (en)||Ball-and-socket pipe-coupling.|
|US2913001A (en)||Check valve|
|US752175A (en)||Mute for water-pipes|
|US3576199A (en)||Anticorrosion ball cock fluid flow control assembly|
|US117853A (en)||Improvement in hose-pipe valves|
|US703657A (en)||Attachment for plumbers' pumps.|
|US1198759A (en)||Waste-pipe trap.|
|US166735A (en)||Improvement in connecting steam, gas, or water pipes|
|US660193A (en)||Globe and check valve.|
|US1105547A (en)||Sanitary drinking-cup.|