US925A - Machine for cleaning wool from burs ant - Google PatentsMachine for cleaning wool from burs ant Download PDF
- Publication number
- US925A US925A US925DA US925A US 925 A US925 A US 925A US 925D A US925D A US 925DA US 925 A US925 A US 925A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Expired - Lifetime
- 238000004140 cleaning Methods 0 description title 2
- 210000002268 Wool Anatomy 0 title 1
- 229910000831 Steel Inorganic materials 0 description 3
- 239000010959 steel Substances 0 description 3
- RYGMFSIKBFXOCR-UHFFFAOYSA-N copper Chemical compound data:image/svg+xml;base64,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 data:image/svg+xml;base64,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 [Cu] RYGMFSIKBFXOCR-UHFFFAOYSA-N 0 description 2
- 239000010949 copper Substances 0 description 2
- 229910052802 copper Inorganic materials 0 description 2
- 230000000694 effects Effects 0 description 1
- 230000001976 improved Effects 0 description 1
- 230000004301 light adaptation Effects 0 description 1
- 239000002184 metal Substances 0 description 1
- 229910052751 metals Inorganic materials 0 description 1
- 239000000203 mixtures Substances 0 description 1
- 239000002023 wood Substances 0 description 1
- D—TEXTILES; PAPER
- D01—NATURAL OR MAN-MADE THREADS OR FIBRES; SPINNING
- D01G—PRELIMINARY TREATMENT OF FIBRES, e.g. FOR SPINNING
- D01G9/00—Opening or cleaning fibres, e.g. scutching cotton
- Y—GENERAL TAGGING OF NEW TECHNOLOGICAL DEVELOPMENTS; GENERAL TAGGING OF CROSS-SECTIONAL TECHNOLOGIES SPANNING OVER SEVERAL SECTIONS OF THE IPC; TECHNICAL SUBJECTS COVERED BY FORMER USPC CROSS-REFERENCE ART COLLECTIONS [XRACs] AND DIGESTS
- Y10—TECHNICAL SUBJECTS COVERED BY FORMER USPC
- Y10S—TECHNICAL SUBJECTS COVERED BY FORMER USPC CROSS-REFERENCE ART COLLECTIONS [XRACs] AND DIGESTS
- Y10S149/00—Explosive and thermic compositions or charges
- Y10S149/116—Flare contains resin
umrnn sTATEs PATENT' ortica.
THEODORE ELY, OF POUGHKEEPSIE, NEW YORK.
MACHINE FOR CLEANING WOOL FROM BURS AND OTHER FOREIGN MATTER.
Specification of Letters Patent No. 925V, dated September 17, 1838.
To all whom it may concern:
Be it known that I, THEODORE ELY, of Poughkeepsie, in the county of Dutchess and State of New York, have invented a new and improved machine for cleaning wool `from burs and other foreign matter which. ,itV usually contains as ordinarily mixed as 1mported from South America and elsewhere; and I do hereby declare that the following is a full and exact description of said mahlIl: l 4
The wool to be cleaned, after being assorted in the usual way, is fed by hand to the machine, in which it passes between a pair of rollers, which I prefer to make of copper, although they may be made of any other metal, or even of wood; but there appears to be a peculiar adaptation in the texture of copper, so far as my experience has extended. The uppermost of these rollers is borne down by a spiral or other spring, which enables it to adapt itself to the varying thickness of the sheet of wool passing between the pair.
To remove the burs from the wool, as it passes between the rollers, I employ a plate, or blade of sheet steel, which stands in front of the upper roller, its lower edge being nearly opposite to the line of junction of the two rollers, and its back side nearly touching the upper roller. This plate is made adjustable, sliding up and down in grooves, which receive its ends. It does not stand vertically, but is inclined, from its upper edge, toward the rollers.
In the accompanying drawings, Figure 1, represents a perspective view of the machine,
and Fig. 2, a vertical section from front to back, through the middle of it.
In each of these figures the same parts are designated by the sameletters of reference.
a, a, is a shaft, or drum, to which the moving power is to be applied; b, is a y wheel on one end of this shaft, and c, c, are bands which extend up to whirls on the rollers d, d,
between which the wool is to be passed, one of the bands being crossed to give the rollers the'proper direction.
For a machine of ordinary size, the rollers may be a foot long, and one inch in diameter; this however, will admit of considerable variation.
The wool to be cleaned is placed upon the table e, e, in front of the machine, and the attendant passes it by hand between 'the rollers, which move in the proper direction to draw it between them. In the perspective view the u per roller is hidden by the steel plate, or b ade f, f, which is to be tempered so Vthat its lower edge may be turned by a burnisher; in the manner of the edge of a curriers knife. This edge is then so turned as to cause it to project forward,
which will have the effect of `enabling it to catch against the burs, &c., and detach them from the wool, when they fall down the inclined board g, g, and through an opening between its lower edge and the table, thus escaping out of the way.
W'ithin the head, or circular box 7L, h, there is a revolving fan, with two or more vanes z', i, the edges of which come nearly into contact with the cylinders, from which they take the cleaned wool, and blow it off v back, and clear of the machine.` This Afan is driven by passing one of the bands around a whirl on its shaft.
Having thus fully described `the construcv tion and operation of my machine, I hereby claim as my invention- The use of the steel plate, or blade, with y its lower edge turned, as above described, and operating in combination with the metallic, or other rollers, for the purpose, and substantially in the manner set forth.
C. H. WITTBERGER, LINTON THoRN.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US925A true US925A (en)||1838-09-17|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US925D Expired - Lifetime US925A (en)||Machine for cleaning wool from burs ant|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US925A (en)|
- US US925D patent/US925A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US2554114A (en)||Shredding machine|
|US57A (en)||Hemp ant|
|US1292157A (en)||Sheet-metal-edging machine.|
|US510210A (en)||Machine for straightening and expanding saws|
|US11016A (en)||Method of turning hubs|
|US805231A (en)||Machine for the manufacture of scrolls.|
|US356A (en)||Machine for cutting shingles and siding from steamed|
|US30130A (en)||Saw-grinding- machine|
|US2261614A (en)||Edger for plywood sheets|
|US637521A (en)||Kitchen utensil.|
|US1207535A (en)||Disk grinder.|
|US2233998A (en)||Rotating saw plane|
|US166355A (en)||Improvement in resawing-machines|
|US2158629A (en)||Cutting machine for stone or other material|
|US3143829A (en)||Cutlery serrating apparatus|
|US182105A (en)||Improvement in paper-feeding machines|
|US2581617A (en)||Device for barking of logs or the like|
|US1200836A (en)||Wood-turning machine.|