US512127A - Steam-boiler furnace - Google PatentsSteam-boiler furnace Download PDF
- Publication number
- US512127A US512127A US512127DA US512127A US 512127 A US512127 A US 512127A US 512127D A US512127D A US 512127DA US 512127 A US512127 A US 512127A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- XLYOFNOQVPJJNP-UHFFFAOYSA-N water Substances O XLYOFNOQVPJJNP-UHFFFAOYSA-N 0.000 description 6
- 238000007664 blowing Methods 0.000 description 2
- 238000002485 combustion reaction Methods 0.000 description 2
- 238000010276 construction Methods 0.000 description 2
- 239000007789 gas Substances 0.000 description 2
- 229910052760 oxygen Inorganic materials 0.000 description 2
- 239000001301 oxygen Substances 0.000 description 2
- MYMOFIZGZYHOMD-UHFFFAOYSA-N oxygen Chemical compound O=O MYMOFIZGZYHOMD-UHFFFAOYSA-N 0.000 description 2
- 230000000630 rising Effects 0.000 description 2
- 239000007787 solid Substances 0.000 description 2
- 238000004326 stimulated echo acquisition mode for imaging Methods 0.000 description 2
- F—MECHANICAL ENGINEERING; LIGHTING; HEATING; WEAPONS; BLASTING
- F23—COMBUSTION APPARATUS; COMBUSTION PROCESSES
- F23B—METHODS OR APPARATUS FOR COMBUSTION USING ONLY SOLID FUEL
- F23B7/00—Combustion techniques; Other solid-fuel combustion apparatus
- F23B7/002—Combustion techniques; Other solid-fuel combustion apparatus characterised by gas flow arrangements
- F23B7/005—Combustion techniques; Other solid-fuel combustion apparatus characterised by gas flow arrangements with downdraught through fuel bed and grate
' 0.13. SOUTHARD;
STEAM BOILER FURNAGE.
, Patented Jan ,2, 1894.
No. 512,127. a
I UNITED STATES PATENT OFFICE.
CHARLES E. SOUTHARD, OF ST. LOUIS, MISSOURI.
SPECIFICATION forming part of Letters Patent No. 512,127, dated January 2, 1894.
Application filed August 23, 1893. Serial N0,483,8'73- (No model.)
To aZZ whom it may concern:
Be it known that I, CHARLES E. SOUTHARD, a citizen of the United States, residing at St. Louis, in the State of Missouri, have invented certain new and useful Improvements in Steam-Boiler Furnaces; and I do hereby declare the following to be a full, clear, and exact description of the invention, such as will enable others skilled in the art to which it appertains to make and use the same.
This invention relates to improvements in steam boiler furnaces, and particularly to a boiler-furnace patented to me July 17, 1888, No. 386,275, all of which will be hereinafter more particularly described and pointed out.
In the accompauyingdrawings forming part of this specification, Figure l is a perspective view of a boiler with the improvements at tached; one side of the boiler casing being removed to show the improvements. Fig. 2 is a detached view of the front manifold partly broken away to show the perforated steam pipe and valve inside.
A is the fire front; B, B, the fire doors.
D, D are damper doors.
E is the boiler.
F is the fire-box.
G, is the ash-pit.
H is the gas-burning pit.
J is the combustion chamber.
J is the rising-stope.
K is the front manifold, for the grate-bars.
K is the rear manifold.
is is a blow-off cock.
L are the upper grate-bars.
L are the lower grate-bars.
M, is the mud-drum.
M is the stand-pipe.
O is a solid screen.
P, P, are the circulating pipes.
R is the hand-hole-plate; one being in the end of each manifold.
The furnace is of the usual construction,
1 and the improvements can be applied to any boiler and furnace now in use. The upper gratesL are made of steam pipes; the ends are joined to the manifolds K and K the outer manifold K has within it a perforated steam pipe, controlled by a valve is outside of the fire-front for the purpose of blowing 01f. Near one end of the manifold K there is a steam pipe P which is connected to one end or the side of the boiler E in the steam; space. At the other end of the manlfold K there is a hot-water pipe P, which is connected with the mud-drum M beneath the boiler; and which drum is attached to the bottom of the boiler by the stand pipe M On the pipe P is a valve V for controlling the admission of water from the boiler. The steam-pipe P has also a valve V for controlling the outlet of steam from the manifold K, and these valves are used also to shut off the steam and water in case of leakage anywhere in the apparatus.
Below the first set of fire bars L there 1s a set of hollow fire bars L which have their front ends passing through the fire-front A, and are open to the air. At the inner ends of these bars at a, are openings 1, to permit the air from the front to pass upwardly over the rising stope J to mingle with the burning gases from the upper bars L under the manifold K. The inner ends of bars L are about one foot beyond the ends of the upper bars L.
I claiml. In boiler-furnaces having hollow gratebars connected to front and rear manifolds, a perforated steam pipe within one of the manifolds and a controlling valve, substantially as and for the purpose described.
2. A boiler furnace having an upper tier of hollow grate-bars, connected to the front and rear manifolds; a perforated steam pipe 1n one of the manifolds controlled 'by a valve, and a lower tier of' hollow grate-bars open to the outer air at the front end, and havlng openings at the other end, to supply fresh oxygen immediately atthe bottom of the stope, all as and for the purpose descr1bed.
In testimony whereof I aflix my signature 111 presence of two witnesses.
CHARLES E. SOUTHARD.
GEO. W. SOUTHARD, MAMIE SOHNAKE.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US512127A true US512127A (en)||1894-01-02|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US512127D Expired - Lifetime US512127A (en)||Steam-boiler furnace|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US512127A (en)|
- US US512127D patent/US512127A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US512127A (en)||Steam-boiler furnace|
|US282035A (en)||Device for promoting combustion in furnaces|
|US360886A (en)||Steam-boiler or other furnace|
|US131871A (en)||Improvement in furnaces for steam-boilers|
|US141870A (en)||Improvement in boiler-furnaces|
|US123882A (en)||Improvement in steam-boiler furnaces|
|US310920A (en)||Smoke-consumer for locomotives|
|US498197A (en)||Laurence j|
|US243286A (en)||Charles mowilltam|
|US507938A (en)||Steam-boiler furnace|
|US951069A (en)||Steam-boiler furnace.|
|US566311A (en)||Steam-boiler furnace|
|US101964A (en)||Improvement in burning petroleum and other hydrocarbon oils|
|US159964A (en)||Improvement in smoke-consuming furnaces|
|US212156A (en)||Improvement in steam-boiler furnaces|
|US505941A (en)||Marine boiler|
|US383310A (en)||Smoke-consuming furnace|
|US43803A (en)||Improvement in combined air and steam engines|