US472923A - henderson - Google Patentshenderson Download PDF
- Publication number
- US472923A US472923A US472923DA US472923A US 472923 A US472923 A US 472923A US 472923D A US472923D A US 472923DA US 472923 A US472923 A US 472923A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 230000000694 effects Effects 0.000 description 10
- 239000000203 mixture Substances 0.000 description 6
- 230000035939 shock Effects 0.000 description 2
- 239000000725 suspension Substances 0.000 description 2
- B—PERFORMING OPERATIONS; TRANSPORTING
- B60—VEHICLES IN GENERAL
- B60G—VEHICLE SUSPENSION ARRANGEMENTS
- B60G17/00—Resilient suspensions having means for adjusting the spring or vibration-damper characteristics, for regulating the distance between a supporting surface and a sprung part of vehicle or for locking suspension during use to meet varying vehicular or surface conditions, e.g. due to speed or load
- B60G17/015—Resilient suspensions having means for adjusting the spring or vibration-damper characteristics, for regulating the distance between a supporting surface and a sprung part of vehicle or for locking suspension during use to meet varying vehicular or surface conditions, e.g. due to speed or load the regulating means comprising electric or electronic elements
- B60G17/016—Resilient suspensions having means for adjusting the spring or vibration-damper characteristics, for regulating the distance between a supporting surface and a sprung part of vehicle or for locking suspension during use to meet varying vehicular or surface conditions, e.g. due to speed or load the regulating means comprising electric or electronic elements characterised by their responsiveness, when the vehicle is travelling, to specific motion, a specific condition, or driver input
- B60G17/0162—Resilient suspensions having means for adjusting the spring or vibration-damper characteristics, for regulating the distance between a supporting surface and a sprung part of vehicle or for locking suspension during use to meet varying vehicular or surface conditions, e.g. due to speed or load the regulating means comprising electric or electronic elements characterised by their responsiveness, when the vehicle is travelling, to specific motion, a specific condition, or driver input mainly during a motion involving steering operation, e.g. cornering, overtaking
- B—PERFORMING OPERATIONS; TRANSPORTING
- B61F—RAIL VEHICLE SUSPENSIONS, e.g. UNDERFRAMES, BOGIES OR ARRANGEMENTS OF WHEEL AXLES; RAIL VEHICLES FOR USE ON TRACKS OF DIFFERENT WIDTH; PREVENTING DERAILING OF RAIL VEHICLES; WHEEL GUARDS, OBSTRUCTION REMOVERS OR THE LIKE FOR RAIL VEHICLES
- B61F5/00—Constructional details of bogies; Connections between bogies and vehicle underframes; Arrangements or devices for adjusting or allowing self-adjustment of wheel axles or bogies when rounding curves
- B61F5/26—Mounting or securing axle-boxes in vehicle or bogie underframes
- B61F5/30—Axle-boxes mounted for movement under spring control in vehicle or bogie underframes
- B61F5/36—Arrangements for equalising or adjusting the load on wheels or springs, e.g. yokes
(No Model.) 2 Sheets-
J. HENDERSON. GAR TRUCK.
Patented Apr. 12, 1892.
5140214 toz o limwflzwlemwr N W H a m a H fi mbml i Q'Sheets-Sheet 2 (No Model.) 7
GAR TBUGK- Patented Apr 12, 1892.
7 UNITED STAT S V "ATENT OFFICE.
JAMESHENDERSON, OF THREE RIVERS, MIOIIIGAN, ASSIGNOR TO THE SHEFFIELD VELOCIPEDE CAROOMPANY, OF SAME PLACE.
SPECIFICATION forming" part Of Letters Patent NO. 472,923, dated April 12, 1892.
Application filed July 10; 1891- Serial No. 399,068. (No model.) i
To all whom it may concern.-
Be it known that 1, JAMES HENDERSON, of Three Rivers, county of St. Joseph, State of Michigan, have invented certain new and useful Improvements in Oar-Trucks, of which the following is a specification, reference being had to the accompanying drawings.
My invention is specially applicable to use in street-cars; and it consists in certain improvements in the means for carryingaload as, for instance, a car-body upon wheels whereby the vertical motion and end oscillalation of the car-body or load are materially reduced and twisting strain incident to service is avoided, whereby the tendency of the v car in use to lose the quality of easy motion is neutralized.
In the accompanying drawings, Figurel is a plan view, partly in section. Fig. 2 is a side elevation. Fig. 3 is an end view, with part of the frame removed to more clearly show the connections of the yoke.
Referring to the letters onthe drawings, A indicates a truck-frame, whose parts are suit ably assembled and braced in any desirable manner. It is adapted, as usual, to carry a loadsuch as a car-body, for instanceand is provided with pedestals B, whose
vertical side openings 0 receive the boxes D of the .axles E, that carry the wheels F, upon which the truck moves. The pedestals may be made of separate pieces or may be cast in one piece, so as to form longitudinal vertical slots G, .through which are passed equalizing-bars H, that ride upon the top of the boxes. These equalizing-bars, Whose purpose and effect are well understood in the art, are divided into two sets, one at each end of the truck. In one set they are cushioned against springs I, which are seated in chairs K, oppositely located upon the truck-frame and upon opposite ends of the-equaliZing-bars, respectively. Each one of the other set of equalizing-bars is cushioned at one end against a spring L, seated in chairs M, as above described, while the other ends of these bars are joined or yoked together by a cross equalizing-bar N, that overlapsthe ends of that set of equalizing-bars, and is fitted in place upon them in any suitable manner.
The effect of the first equalizing system named above is to carry the frame or car-bod y as upon two points, While the effect of the second system is to carry it as upon one point. The combined effect, therefore, of the two sets of equalizing systems is to carry the entire body upontwo sets of wheels as if supported thereon at three points.
- 0 indicates a cross-beam secured atopposite ends to the frame of the truck directly over the cross equalizing-bar N. Between the bar and this beam are interposed one or more springs P, two being shown in the drawings. These springs bear upwardly against .thebottoin of the
beam 0 and are seated in a chair Q, pivotally secured to the middle of the cross equalizing-bar N.
The effect of the arrangement above described is to distribute each shock to which employed at both ends, the eifect would be to produce a two-point suspension that would give rise to too much swayingside motion in the car-body. By employing the three-point bearing I prevent the swaying side motion, at the same time reducing vertical motion and end oscillation.-
What I claim is 1. In a car-truck, the combination, with a single frame and two pairs of wheels, of two sets of equalizing systems, one set supporting the frame over' onepair of wheels, as upon two points, and the other set supporting it over the other pair of wheels, as upon one point, whereby a three-point support upon a complete equalizing system is eifected, substantially as set forth.
2. In a car-truck, the combination, with a single frame, two pairs of wheels, and their axles, of a four-point connection between one pair of wheels and the frame, and a three point connection between the other pair of Wheels and the frame, substantially as set forth.
3. The combination, with a pair of wheels and axle, of equalizing-bars over the opposite ends of the axle, adapted to sustain a car at 10 two points, a cross equalizing-bar yoking the
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US472923A true US472923A (en)||1892-04-12|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US472923D Expired - Lifetime US472923A (en)||henderson|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US472923A (en)|
- US US472923D patent/US472923A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US1191136A (en)||Wheeled support for railroad-vehicles.|
|US694346A (en)||Coach-equalizing suspender.|
|US637544A (en)||Pivotal car-truck.|
|US757927A (en)||Bogie-truck for rolling-stock.|
|US639639A (en)||Double truck.|
|US425380A (en)||Running-gear for street-cars|
|USRE6049E (en)||Improvement in car-springs|
|US808062A (en)||Car-truck for motor propulsion and the like.|
|US1714796A (en)||Six-wheel truck|
|US760134A (en)||Truck for railway-cars.|
|US895827A (en)||Freight-car and locomotive-tender truck.|