US308655A - Henry j - Google PatentsHenry j Download PDF
- Publication number
- US308655A US308655A US308655DA US308655A US 308655 A US308655 A US 308655A US 308655D A US308655D A US 308655DA US 308655 A US308655 A US 308655A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 241001067407 Cometes Species 0.000 description 1
- 210000003414 Extremities Anatomy 0.000 description 1
- 230000002452 interceptive Effects 0.000 description 1
- G10—MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS; ACOUSTICS
- G10D—STRINGED MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS; WIND MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS; ACCORDIONS OR CONCERTINAS; PERCUSSION MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS; AEOLIAN HARPS; SINGING-FLAME MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS; MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS NOT OTHERWISE PROVIDED FOR
- G10D9/00—Details of, or accessories for, wind musical instruments
- G10D9/04—Valves; Valve controls
H. J. DISTIN.
' No. 308,655. Patented Dec. 2, 1884.
WITNESSES I INV NTORZ UNITED STATES PATENT OFFICE.
HENRY J. DISTIN, OF NEXV YORK, N. Y.
SPECIFICATION forming part of Letters Patent No. 308,655, dated December 2, 1884.
as may be seen in Fig. 2, at the side of the pis- To aZZ whom it may concern.-
Be it known that I, HENRY J. Drsrrn, of the city, county, and State of New York, have invented certain new and useful Improvements in Gornets, of which the'following is a specifieation.
My invention consists of the combination of the third piston tunin g-slide and its tubes, with the third piston in a position diagonal with the vertical position of the instrument, and arranged so that it straddles the tube running from the main tuning-slide of the instrument as it bends to enter the third piston in arriving at a direct passage into said piston.
In the. accompanying drawings, Figure 1 is a side elevation of a comet provided with my improvements. This view shows the piston side with the three pistons and the entering tube, also the tube therefrom giving the direct wind-passage through the pistons. Fig. 2 is a side elevation of the opposite or reverse side of the instrument, upon which the main tuning slide is placed. Fig. 8 is a sectional view through the three pistons, also showing the tubes entering and passing therefrom, giving the direct passage through the pistons 1n the open note of the instrument. Fig. 4 is a vertical section of a portion in line 00 av, Fig. 3.
A, B, and G are the three pistons.
D is the tube running from the mouth-piece D through the main tuning-slide D to and entering the third piston, 0, leading the wind through the three pistons from third, 0, to first, A.
At E is the tube taking the wind from the first piston, A, to the bell F for discharge. The tube D enters the piston to which it is attached in a direct line without bend or knuckle, and the tube E passes from the piston to which it is attached, also in a direct line, without bend or knuckle, the perforations or apertures through the pistons O and A, respectively, being arranged to correspond, as will be seen by reference to Fig. 3, so that a direct passage is constituted, without knuckles or sharp turns, in the open note of the instrument, giving freedom to the pistons and windpassage.
G represents the first piston tuningslide, the tubes of which I attach to the piston A,
ten, one above the other in vertical position, so that the slide may be readily drawn without interfering with the bend of the belltube E.
H represents the third. piston tuning-slide, the tubes of which are arranged one on the right and one 011 the left of the third bend of the tube D, so that they stand diagonally, the upper tube, H, attached to the piston O in direct line, and the other, H". attached at the side of the same piston O by a bend or knuckle. The tuning-slide H is thus seen to straddlethe tube D.
The advantages of the invention are that I am enabled to pass the wind directly through the bend of the third piston, thus causing the same to flow more freely and permit of the ready collection of water, it being seen that two water-keys may be employed-one at the bottom of the third piston-bend and one at the bottom bend of the mouth-tubc-both keys to be operated by one handle. I also avoid a bulge in the third piston, as the divisions of openings in the piston are separated to a great extent, the slide being wider, hence enabling the use of a perfect curve of the knuckle in the piston, this making the sound free and clear, it being noticed that the connection of the limb of the tube 1) with the third piston is in a right line below the connection of the upper tube, H, with said piston.
,\V hat I claim as new, and desire to secure by Letters Patent of the United States, is
1. In a cornet, the combination, with the third piston, (J, and the tube D, of a tuningslide and its tubes located diagonally with the vertical position of the instrument, and straddling said tube D, substantially as and for the purpose set forth.
2. In a cornet, the combination, with the first and third pistons, A 0, tubes D E, and first piston tuning-slide G, of the third piston tuning-slide H, the latter being diagonally arranged and straddling the tube D, substantially as and for the purpose set forth.
HENRY J. DISTIN.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US308655A true US308655A (en)||1884-12-02|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US308655D Expired - Lifetime US308655A (en)||Henry j|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US308655A (en)|
- US US308655D patent/US308655A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US308655A (en)||Henry j|
|US2320202A (en)||Musical instrument|
|US306947A (en)||Iiilaeius pattbeeg|
|US723701A (en)||Shell for mouth-harmonicas.|
|US676029A (en)||Valve musical instrument.|
|US101605A (en)||Gael fogelberg|
|AT19444B (en)||Wind instrument.|
|USD50817S (en)||Design for a bank-note|
|USD45636S (en)||Planooraph co|
|US135421A (en)||Improvement in speaking-tubes|
|USD28567S (en)||Design for a plumber s trap|
|US145139A (en)||Improvement in fountains for soda-water|
|US210024A (en)||Improvement in clothes-pounders|
|USD33545S (en)||Design for a vernier-plate for surveying instruments|
|US759879A (en)||Attachment for violins.|