US295029A - Car-coupling - Google PatentsCar-coupling Download PDF
- Publication number
- US295029A US295029A US295029DA US295029A US 295029 A US295029 A US 295029A US 295029D A US295029D A US 295029DA US 295029 A US295029 A US 295029A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 238000010168 coupling process Methods 0.000 title description 14
- 238000005859 coupling reaction Methods 0.000 title description 14
- 241000282472 Canis lupus familiaris Species 0.000 description 10
- 230000001808 coupling Effects 0.000 description 10
- 235000007575 Calluna vulgaris Nutrition 0.000 description 2
- 241000735495 Erica <angiosperm> Species 0.000 description 2
- 241000353097 Molva molva Species 0.000 description 2
- XEEYBQQBJWHFJM-UHFFFAOYSA-N iron Substances [Fe] XEEYBQQBJWHFJM-UHFFFAOYSA-N 0.000 description 2
- 229910052742 iron Inorganic materials 0.000 description 2
- 230000000284 resting Effects 0.000 description 2
- B—PERFORMING OPERATIONS; TRANSPORTING
- B61G—COUPLINGS; DRAUGHT AND BUFFING APPLIANCES
- B61G1/00—Couplings comprising interengaging parts of different shape or form and having links, bars, pins, shackles, or hooks as coupling means
- B61G1/02—Couplings comprising interengaging parts of different shape or form and having links, bars, pins, shackles, or hooks as coupling means having links or bars coupling or uncoupling by rotating around a transverse horizontal axis
- B61G1/06—Couplings comprising interengaging parts of different shape or form and having links, bars, pins, shackles, or hooks as coupling means having links or bars coupling or uncoupling by rotating around a transverse horizontal axis and coupling when the coupling halves are pushed together
No. 295,029. Patented MM. 11, 1884.
lNiamey v NME@ STATES Barnier erica.
JOSHUA LOI/7, OF STEUBENVILLE, OHIO.
SPECIFICATION forming part of Letters Patent No. 295,029, dated March 11, 1884.
` Application filed February', 1884. (No model.)
To all whom t may concern-f Be it known that I, JOSHUA LOW, a citizen of the United States, residing at Steubenville, in the county-of Jefferson and State of Ohio, have invented certain'new and useful Improvements in Automatic Car-Couplers; and I do declare the following to be a full, clear, and exact description of the invention, such Vas will enable others skilled in the art to which it appertains to make land use the same, rei'erence being had to the accompanying drawings, and to the letters and figures of reference marked thereon, which form a part of this specification.
My invention has relation to car-couplers; and the object is to provide a simple and cheap device for coupling cars by the action inv ention,
Figure I is a side elevation of a pair of draw-heads tted with my invention, and showing the left-hand link in position for coupling,
'and the same in dotted lines after the draw heads have been coupled. Fig.V 2 is a perspective view of the draw-head set ready for coupling, and showing the ordinary link in position in dotted lines when my improved coupler is used with a car having the common draw-head in general use.
' A is the draw-head, and it is of the ordinary forin, except that it is provided with a projecting hooked-shaped top, B, the rear side of which is semicircular, and has a curved recess, O.
D is a bolt extending through the drawhead A from side to side, and also through the enlarged ends e'of the U-shaped link E. The front e or" this link E is semicircular in form, to correspond to the curved form of the recess C.
F is an angular -iron frame, hinged to the draw-head by the b`olt G, so as to swing freely beneath said draw-head. The lower portion, f, of this frame is bent forward, so thatwhen set in position for coupling, as shown in Fig.
2, it will project beyond the faceof the drawhead. lllhe upper ends of this frame F are formed into curved dogs a, which come into contact with theU-shaped link E just above the bolt D.
H is an ordinary recess, and I the couplingpin, when the old form oi link, K, is used.
The parts being in position, as shown, the link thrown back presses the dogs a backward, so as to push the frame F forward, the proper position of these parts being insured by the dog a coming against the stud c. In this position the cars come together, and the face of the opposite draw-head strikes the lower portion, f, of the frame F and pushes it back. i s center, and it falls over the top B of the opposite draw-head, and as the train moves forward is caught in 'the recess C, thus simply and effectually coupling the cars; and it will be readily seen that a whole train may be as effectually coupled as a single pair of cars.
Vhen it becomes necessary to couple two cars, one of which is provided with my improved coupler and the other not, the link E and frame F are set in position as for coup- This throws the link forward past.
ling, the ordinarylink, K, and pin I are set in position, the link being supported or held up by resting upon the forward portion, f, of the frame F, so that it will enter the recess in the opposite draw-head, and the coupling-pin is inserted in the usual manner.
Having thus fully described my invention, what I claim as new and useful, and desire to secure by Letters Patent ofthe United States, 1s
l. The draw-head A, having hook-shaped top B and semicircular recess O, and provided with the U-shaped link E, curved at e, and` the frame F, having forwardly-projecting por tion f and dogs c., kas and for the purposes set forth.
2. The combination, with the draw-headA, having hook-shaped top B, recess C, and stud c, of the link E and frame F, having lforwardprojecting portion, f, and dogs a, substantially as and for the purposes set forth.
In testimony whereof I affix my signature in presence of two witnesses.
, JOSHUA LOW. Witnesses:
' H. J. Ennis,
CHAs. H. BAKER.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US295029A true US295029A (en)||1884-03-11|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US295029D Expired - Lifetime US295029A (en)||Car-coupling|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US295029A (en)|
- US US295029D patent/US295029A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US168345A (en)||Improvement in car-couplings|
|US335611A (en)||Jambs franklin moorman|
|US217821A (en)||Improvement in car-couplings|
|US258160A (en)||William t|
|US494246A (en)||Philip c|
|US142943A (en)||Improvement in car-couplings|
|US221797A (en)||Improvement in car-couplings|
|US144015A (en)||Improvement in car-couplings|
|US365035A (en)||William weight|