US288876A - Isaac b - Google PatentsIsaac b Download PDF
- Publication number
- US288876A US288876A US288876DA US288876A US 288876 A US288876 A US 288876A US 288876D A US288876D A US 288876DA US 288876 A US288876 A US 288876A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 239000011449 brick Substances 0.000 description 12
- 239000003086 colorant Substances 0.000 description 8
- 238000004519 manufacturing process Methods 0.000 description 6
- 240000006523 Abies balsamea Species 0.000 description 2
- 235000007173 Abies balsamea Nutrition 0.000 description 2
- 239000004857 Balsam Substances 0.000 description 2
- DSSYKIVIOFKYAU-UHFFFAOYSA-N Camphor Chemical compound C1CC2(C)C(=O)CC1C2(C)C DSSYKIVIOFKYAU-UHFFFAOYSA-N 0.000 description 2
- 229960000846 Camphor Drugs 0.000 description 2
- 241000723346 Cinnamomum camphora Species 0.000 description 2
- 241000016649 Copaifera officinalis Species 0.000 description 2
- 241000287227 Fringillidae Species 0.000 description 2
- 235000015912 Impatiens biflora Nutrition 0.000 description 2
- 229930007890 camphor Natural products 0.000 description 2
- 238000005034 decoration Methods 0.000 description 2
- 238000000034 method Methods 0.000 description 2
- 239000003208 petroleum Substances 0.000 description 2
- 239000002966 varnish Substances 0.000 description 2
- B—PERFORMING OPERATIONS; TRANSPORTING
- B41—PRINTING; LINING MACHINES; TYPEWRITERS; STAMPS
- B41K—STAMPS; STAMPING OR NUMBERING APPARATUS OR DEVICES
- B41K1/00—Portable hand-operated devices without means for supporting or locating the articles to be stamped, i.e. hand stamps; Inking devices or other accessories therefor
- B41K1/02—Portable hand-operated devices without means for supporting or locating the articles to be stamped, i.e. hand stamps; Inking devices or other accessories therefor with one or more flat stamping surfaces having fixed images
UNITED STATES PATENT Finch,
MANUFACTURE OF TILES, BRICKS, 800.
SPECIFICATION forming part of Letters Patent No. 288,876, dated November 20, 1883.
Application filed May 31, 1883. (No specimens.)
To aZZ whom, it may concern.-
Be it known that 1, Isaac BROAD SHAW, a subject of the Queen of Great Britain, residing at Tunstall, in the county of Stafford, England, have invented new and useful Improvements in and connected with the Mannfacture of Tiles, Quarries, Bricks, Slabs, Plates, and thelike, (for which I have obtained a Patent in Great Britain, N0. 690, hearing date February 1'7, 1880, and sealed August 13, 1880;) and I do hereby declare that the following is a full, clear, and exact description of the invention, which will enable others skilled in the art to which it appertains to make and use the same.
This invention relates to improvements in and connected with the manufacture of tiles, quarries, bricks, slabs, plates, and the like.
Hitherto the decoration of tiles, quarries, slabs, plates, and the like has been effected by the processes known as stenciling, transferring, or handpainting. N ow, by my invention this operation is effected by machinery, whereby rapidity and economy in pro duction are obtained, and one or more tiles may be decorated at one and the same time.
In carrying out my invention I employ an ordinary platen printing-machine, and the design is printed upon the tiles, quarries, bricks, slabs, plates, and the like direct, whether in one or more colors, by means of elastic printingsurfaces, which may be prepared as follows: For example, if it is desired to produce a design in four colors upon a tile or plate, I take woodcuts or other blocks of the design to be printed on the tile, and from the blocks or plates I reproduce the same in any suitable elastic compositionthat is to say, a separate section or block for each colorand they are then ready for the printing press or machine; or the elastic design maybe fixed on the bedor carriage of the press or machine, or on the tympan, according to the size or extent of the design. I then prepare the colorduct of the machine for the color (suitably prepared as hereinafter described) to be first printed on the tile, and then fix the elastic section or block for the first color of the de Patented in England February 17, 1880, No. 600.
sign in its proper place on the printing-machine, and having made ready or adjusted the guides, I proceed with the working off of the first color of the design. The first color are required, I clean up the color-duct and rollers for the second color, and then fix the section or block of the elactic design for the second color in place of thefirst color-block, and in this manner proceed until the whole design in the various colors is completed, and by this means I obtain accuracy of register for each particular color necessary to the completion of the design to be printed on the tiles. By these means I also print or decorate the intaglio or sunk parts of the designs in em bossed tiles and the like.
Ihave found it advantageous to prepare the colors for use by grinding them up to a thick consistency with the best varnish used by letter-press printers for machine-work, with a camphor, wax, and petroleum.
Having thus described the nature of my said invention and the best means with which I am acquainted for carrying the same into not confine myself to the precise details herein laid down, as the same may be varied without departing from the peculiar character of my invention; but
WVhat I claim is- 1. The described improvement in the art of printing decorative designs upon tiles, quarries, bricks, slabs, plates, and the like, consisting in mechanically imparting the designs directly to the same, with relief -line elastic blocks, in the manner substantially as herein described.
2. As a means for printing decorative designs direct upon tiles, quarries, bricks, slabs, plates, and the like, relief-line elastic printing blocks or sections, as hercinbefore described.
ISAAC BROAD SHAW.
FREDERICK Donems BRADLEY.
slight addition thereto of balsam copaiba,
effect, I would have it understood that I do having been printed on as many of the tiles as
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US288876A true US288876A (en)||1883-11-20|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US288876D Expired - Lifetime US288876A (en)||Isaac b|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US288876A (en)|
- US US288876D patent/US288876A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|CN103753990B (en)||A kind of decal paper for ceramic ware silk screen printing process|
|US288876A (en)||Isaac b|
|US1379365A (en)||Method of and apparatus for making multicolor prints|
|CN103419520A (en)||Manufacture method for PET (Polyester) transfer film|
|CN100360311C (en)||Multi-color silk screen printing method and equipment|
|US721905A (en)||Multicolor-printing machine.|
|US668358A (en)||Art of plate-printing.|
|US1108063A (en)||Process of color-printing.|
|US538750A (en)||Art of plate-printing|
|US637557A (en)||Art of multicolor-printing.|
|US105300A (en)||Improvement in elastic transfer printing|
|US259876A (en)||Edward lee|
|US632322A (en)||Multicolor-printing press.|
|US479508A (en)||William f|
|US637568A (en)||Lithographic-printing press.|
|US800601A (en)||Process for producing curved or flat color-plates for use in printing-presses.|
|US758192A (en)||Printing process.|
|US892166A (en)||Process of preparing printers' overlays and underlays.|
|US745263A (en)||Method of making printing-surfaces for color-printing.|
|US962718A (en)||Process of making multicolor prints.|
|US1294718A (en)||Method of making multicolor prints.|
|US1776197A (en)||Process of making stereotype matrices|
|FR2304479A1 (en)||Printing process rendering falsification obvious - uses inks having different solvents so that one disappears|
|US366751A (en)||Method of printing in colors|