US191867A - Improvement in sled-brakes - Google PatentsImprovement in sled-brakes Download PDF
- Publication number
- US191867A US191867A US191867DA US191867A US 191867 A US191867 A US 191867A US 191867D A US191867D A US 191867DA US 191867 A US191867 A US 191867A
- Grant status
- Patent type
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- B—PERFORMING OPERATIONS; TRANSPORTING
- B62—LAND VEHICLES FOR TRAVELLING OTHERWISE THAN ON RAILS
- B62B—HAND-PROPELLED VEHICLES, e.g. HAND CARTS, PERAMBULATORS; SLEDGES
- B62B5/00—Accessories or details specially adapted for hand carts
- B62B5/04—Braking mechanisms; Locking devices against movement
- B62B5/0404—Braking mechanisms; Locking devices against movement automatic
E. M; LAWRENCE. SLED-BRAKE.
No. 191,867. Patented J'unga12,18'.77,
UMTED STATES EPHBAIM M. LAWRENCE, OF BRYANTS POND, MAINE.
IMPROVEMENT IN SLED-BRAKES.
Specification forming part of Letters Patent No. 191,867, dated June 12, 1877; application filed April 23, 1877.
To all whom it may concern;
Be it known that I, EPHRAIM M. LAW- BENCE, of Bryants Pond, in the county of Oxford and State ofMaine, have invented a new and useful Improvement inSled-Brake, of which the following is a specification:
Figure l is a vertical longitudinal section of a sled to which my improvement has been applied, taken through the line as m, Fig. 2. Fig. 2 is a front View of the same, the tongue being cut off.
Similar letters of reference sponding parts.
The object of this invention is to furnish an improved brake for sleds, which shall be so constructed that the operation of holding back will apply the brake, and the operation of drawing Will raise the said brake, and which may be readily fastened to allow the sled to be backed without applying the brake.
The invention will first be described in connection with the drawing, andthen pointed indicate correout in the claims.
attached to the roller 0. The ends of the,
tongue-roller O are pivoted to the forward ends of the false runners B, the rear ends of which are pivoted to the inner sides of the middle part of the runners A.
To the forward parts of the runners B are attached bands or shoes H, which, when the false runners B are pressed down, scrape upon the roadway, and thus retard the forward movement of the sled.
With this construction, the rearward pressure of the tongue, in holding back, presses the false runners B down upon the roadway, and draft upon the tongue raises the false runners B away from the roadway.
When it is desired to back the sled without applying the brake, pins I are passed through holes 0t in the runners A, and through holes b in the false runners B, so that the said false runners B cannot be forced down by a rearward pressure upon the tongue. not in use the pins are placed in holes in the raves G, as shown in Fig. 1.
Having thus described my invention, I claim as new and desire to secure by Letters Patent- 1. The tongue-roller O, pivoted to false runners B, the latter being rear-pivoted to runners A, as shown and described.
2. The combination of false runners B, pivotedat the rear to runners A, the said runners A B having, respectively, the holes a b, to receive pins, as and for the purpose specified.
EPHRAIM M. LAWRENCE.
DAVID RIGKER, EUNIGE R. LAWRENCE.
PATENT Qrrroa When
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US191867A true US191867A (en)||1877-06-12|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US191867A Expired - Lifetime US191867A (en)||Improvement in sled-brakes|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US191867A (en)|
|US831210A (en)||Adjustable slipper.|
|US384155A (en)||Felt boot|
|US376526A (en)||Daniel h|
|US330213A (en)||Hitching-strap clamp|
|US54504A (en)||Improved buckle|
|US662981A (en)||Disk harrow.|
|US6705A (en)||Jointed pawl|
|US37558A (en)||Improved ice-creeper|
|US280603A (en)||Rubber overshoe|
|US300303A (en)||Edwaed feaskliay butlee|
|US234655A (en)||And osoae e|