USRE4272E - Improvement in barrels - Google PatentsImprovement in barrels Download PDF
- Publication number
- USRE4272E USRE4272E US RE4272 E USRE4272 E US RE4272E
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- 210000000614 Ribs Anatomy 0.000 description 6
- 239000002184 metal Substances 0.000 description 3
- 235000020004 porter Nutrition 0.000 description 2
- 238000010276 construction Methods 0.000 description 1
- 230000001869 rapid Effects 0.000 description 1
- 230000000284 resting Effects 0.000 description 1
portion ot' them may extend between @anni @fine HENRY G. PORTER, 0F GRANB RAPIDS, MICHIGAN.
LettersV Patent No. 102,432, dated April 26, 1870'; reissue No. 4,272, dated February 21, 1871.
IMPROVEMENTy IN BARRELS.
The Schedule referred to in theseLe'ttexl Patent und making part ofthe lame.
To all whom Yit may concern Be it known that I, HENRY G. Pon'rnn, of Grand in the county of Kent and in the State 4of Michigan, have invented certain new and useful Improvements in Barrels; .and do hereby declare that the following is a full, clear, and exact description thereof, reference being had to the accompanying drawing and to the letters of reference marked thereon making part of this specification.
The nature of my invention consists in a novel mode of constructing barrelsrkegs, casks, 85e., as will be hereinafter fully set forth.
ln order .to enable others skilled in the art to which my invention appertsi-ns to make and use the same, I will now proceed to describe its construction and operation, referring tothe annexed drawing, in which-- Figure 1 isa vertical section, and
Figure 2, a plan view of my barrel.
Figures 3 and 4 are enlarged sections of the sanne.
A and AIrepres'ent two hoops, of suitable dimensions, pllt together as shown in fig. 1, their edges being beveled so as to form a joint, and further secured on the outside by means of metal strips a a,
At the end of each hoop thus formed on the inside is secured another hoop, B, of any desired width.
0n the inside' of hoops A A is secured a series of vertical metal strips, b b, which pass on the outside of the hoops B B, and turn over the edges so as to `be fastened to the heads C O ofthe barrel.
The ends ofthe hoops B B are beveled on the inside, and the edges of the heads O C are beveled to corlespond, as shown in figs. 3 and 4, so as to fit nicely.
The barrel thus formed is strengthened on the in' side by ribs D D. These ribs may either be straight, extending from top to bottom of the barrel, or one the lower rim of the upper section B, and the lupper rim of the lower section B, as shown at D', these sections B'resting on this extension D', and thus relieving the middle sections or section of some of the strain.
It is obvious that it is not absolutely necessary that these ribs should extend the full length of the barrel, as they will act precisely in the same way if only extending between the upper and lower sections; and it is equally obvious that, as far as the braces are concerned, it is Aimmaterial whether the middle sec` tion consists of one or more parts A or A.
When the braces D extend the whole' length of the ybarrel their ends are beveled, and the heads C O are cut o'ut or notched on their inner sides, so as to fit on the ends of said ribs.
The heads 0 C may be further strengthened by means of smaller hoops E on the outsidev of the barrel, and theymay be further secured by metal strips e e, as shown in ligs. 3 and 4.
One of said strips is nailed on the inside of one of thev ribs D, and bent over the edge of the head, and secured to the outside of the same. The other strip eis secured to the inside of the barrel itself, and fastened in like manner to the outside ofthe head.
Ido not mean to be understood as confining myself to the use of all these various parts in one barrel, keg, or cask, as I may, for instance, use a series of hoops, A A', connected in the manner above `described,dlspensing'witli.the hoops B B; ,or I may dispense with some of the fastenings, according as more or less'strength is required.
`Having thus fully described my invention,
What I claim as new, and desire to secure by Letters Patent, is-
1. A barrel, constructed of three cylinders A B B,
the middle cylinder A overlapping the others, and constructed in one or more sections, substantially as shown anddescribed.
2. In combination with .fi-barrel, having a series of horizontal sections, A or B, beveling the inner edges of the top section and the circumference of the top C, so, when placed together, ,they form an even surface on top, .as shown and described.
3. In combination with the top C and horizontal sections A or' B, the elongated brace l), whichextends on the exterior of the sections, and is bent over on the cover, and under on the bottom,all as set forth.
4. In combination with the topsection B and cover O, or bottom section and bottom proper, the metallic brace e, passing from the inner part of the section, between'it and the cover, or bottom, and over and -uponthe cover or bottom, as set forth.
5. 'lille ribs D, when arranged in a barrel, constructed of three or ymore horizontal sections, to extend either'the full length oi' the barrel or only between the upper and lower sections of' the same, substantially as and for the purpose described.
OMAR-H. SIMoNDs, EDWARD TAGGART.
HENRY e, PORTER.'
|USRE4272E (en)||Improvement in barrels|
|US142343A (en)||Improvement in baskets|
|US362107A (en)||Metallic barrel|
|US42949A (en)||Improvement in barrels and kegs|
|US128036A (en)||Improvement in baskets|
|US100286A (en)||Improvement in the construction of barrels and packages|
|US167172A (en)||Improvement in sheet-metal cans|
|US101956A (en)||Improved barrel|
|US165047A (en)||Improvement in wicker-baskets|
|US127639A (en)||Improvement in beer-coolers|
|US104924A (en)||Improvement in milk-can bottoms|
|US120620A (en)||Improvement in fruit-baskets|
|US106827A (en)||Improved barrel|
|US111058A (en)||Improvement in the construction of barrels for beer|
|US342137A (en)||Joseph eidgway|
|US118904A (en)||Improvement in wood-incased cans|
|US1063433A (en)||Stave or splint basket that is made from veneer.|
|US80825A (en)||Horace c|
|US181241A (en)||Improvement in barrels|
|US624911A (en)||Metallic barrel|