US695999A - Richard beger - Google PatentsRichard beger Download PDF
- Publication number
- US695999A US695999A US695999DA US695999A US 695999 A US695999 A US 695999A US 695999D A US695999D A US 695999DA US 695999 A US695999 A US 695999A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 230000000875 corresponding Effects 0.000 description 1
- 238000004519 manufacturing process Methods 0.000 description 1
- 229920000136 polysorbate Polymers 0.000 description 1
- G07B—TICKET-ISSUING APPARATUS; FARE-REGISTERING APPARATUS; FRANKING APPARATUS
- G07B17/00—Franking apparatus
- G07B17/00733—Cryptography or similar special procedures in a franking system
- G09—EDUCATION; CRYPTOGRAPHY; DISPLAY; ADVERTISING; SEALS
- G09C—CIPHERING OR DECIPHERING APPARATUS FOR CRYPTOGRAPHIC OR OTHER PURPOSES INVOLVING THE NEED FOR SECRECY
- G09C3/00—Typewriters for ciphering or deciphering cryptographic text
- G09C3/04—Typewriters for ciphering or deciphering cryptographic text wherein the operative connections between the keys and the type-bars are automatically and continuously permuted, during operation, by a coding or key member
- G09C3/06—Typewriters for ciphering or deciphering cryptographic text wherein the operative connections between the keys and the type-bars are automatically and continuously permuted, during operation, by a coding or key member the connections being mechanical
No. 695,999. Patented Mar. 25, |902.
TYPE WRITING MACHINE.
(Application me uly 3, 1899.)
(llo llnd el.)
r lTUI w: News Permian, wom-Uwe.. WASHING-IGN, D.'c.
- UNITED STATES PATENT OFFICE.
RICHARD BEGER, OF DEBEN, GERMANY.
To @ZZ whom. it may concern.: Be it known that I, RICHARD Buena, a subject of the King of Saxony, residing at Deuben, near Dresden, Germany, have invented certain new and useful Improvements in or Relating to Type Writing Machines, (for which I have madeapplication for Letters Patentin France, led December 24, 1898, andY inAnstria, iiled December 31, 1898,) of which the following is a specification.
The present invention relates to type-writing machines which can be used for code or secret writing.
The invention consists in the arrangement horizontally of two concentric rings, one within the other, each being provided'on its surface with letters and signs, which rings can be relatively displaced one with regard to the other according to a prearranged code or system. Thus words and letters typed accord.
ing to the outer ring appear on paper printed according to the inner ring, the consequence being that the printed Words will have no seeming connection with one another until rearranged in the manner hereinafter to be described. The receiver then arranges the index-rings of his own machine relatively to each other in conformity with the code or system decided on-z'. e., in the same manner as the sender had done-copying the text received according to the letters and signs of the inner ring. It will be found that by this method Ithe key of the machine will indicate the proper signs and letters of the outer ring, thus reproducing the text received in a manner so as to represent the original text and original connected phrases.
It, for instance, the word Arno had been decided on as the key, the inner ring is set in such a manner that its letter A corresponds or is in line with the small o of the outer ring. Inasmuch as the word Arno contains four letters, the fact of it containing four letters may be used as an indication that the key has to bev changed every four lines, so as to render the deciphering moreY By relatively displacdifficult to strangers. ing the rings gradually-for instance, r under 0, then again n under .o, then ICO iAJ) ICD-7, CA 1,35 under A, and finally r under n, and
n under r-it is possible to change the key in a letter containing fortylines not less than eight times, a fact which renders it almost impossible for any stranger to decipher the real meaning even after long-continued trials.
The arran gementcharacterizing the present invention, and which can be employed in machines of various constructions, is represented in Figure l bya front view, in Fig. 2 by aseotional View, and in Fig. 3 by a broken plan -vi ew.
The two horizontal concentric rings a and b are connected, respectively, to disks o. b', the ring b being arranged so as to be rotatable on the larger disk a', on which, however, it
can be secured by means of a clamping-screw c. The outer edge ot the inner ring b is overlapped by the edge of the outer ring or, fastened to or forming part of ther disk a'. The latter is rigidly-connectedwith the frame d of the type-writing machine, while the shaft e, carrying the key'f, passes loosely through the two disks a' o. The key f, which is pressed upward by the spring g, engages with its hook h in oneY of the teeth i, arranged on the under side or flange of the disk of, and is thereby steadily held in position. The type-wheel is arranged vertically and is actuated by the shaft e by means of bevelgearing in such a manner that by-turning the key f toa desired position or letter on the outer ring a and locking the hook between the corresponding teeth of the disk in this position'the correspondingletter on the typewheel Z will be brought to its lowest position, when it is impressed on the paper placed underneath it. This arrangement for the production of code-writing can also be applied to type-Writing machines of other constructions, my invention' being characterized by two concentric letter-rings movable relatively to each other. l
I claiml. The combination with two horizontallyarranged concentric sign-rings, one of which is relatively movable as regards the other, a type -wheel arranged vertically below the rings, an operating-shaft extending centrally through the inner ring and rotatable inde- ICO pendently thereof, and gearing between the to be engaged by the key, and gearing beshaft eind the type-wheel. tween the type-Wheel and the shaft.
2. The combination with two horzontelly- In testimony Whereol` I have hereto set my arranged concentric sign-ringe a, b, one of hand in the presence of the two subscribing 5 which is relatively movable as regards the Witnessesz other, a bype-wheel arranged verticallyv below i the rings, disks a b carrying the rings, a RCHARD BEGER' shaft; passing loosely through Lhe disks; een- VVitneSses: trally thereof, a key carried by the shaft, F. LEHNERS,
1o teeth on the under side of the disk a' adapted l HERNANDO DE SOTO.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US695999A true US695999A (en)||1902-03-25|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US695999D Expired - Lifetime US695999A (en)||Richard beger|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US695999A (en)|
- US US695999D patent/US695999A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|JP4199304B1 (en)||Article manufacturing method, article manufacturing system, and article|
|ES411985A1 (en)||Error correction system for typewriters or printing devices|
|US4005264A (en)||Arrangement for scanning a disc-shaped type carrier|
|US925814A (en)||Maximum-hand for speedometer-indicators or the like.|
|US2371325A (en)||Braille teaching device|
|GB927983A (en)||Improvements in or relating to serial number printing apparatus|
|US3639732A (en)||Data control device|
|US4885779A (en)||Personal identification encryptor system with error-correcting code and method|
|US723855A (en)||Shipper's type-writer.|
|Brennan||Dating Athanasius'" Vita Antonii"|
|US943466A (en)||Type-writer keyboard.|
|US659703A (en)||Pneuiiaticitype writer|
|US2127251A (en)||Typewriting machine|
|US908971A (en)||Time-registering clock.|
|US342352A (en)||Spacing-escapement for type-writing machines|
|US203988A (en)||Improvement in educational|
|US774346A (en)||Type-writing machine.|
|US2914603A (en)||Methods of communicating intelligence by television|
|US119537A (en)||Improvement in machines for producing stereotype matrices|
|US2969135A (en)||Ciphering machines|