US609656A - Heating and illuminating attachment for gas-burners - Google PatentsHeating and illuminating attachment for gas-burners Download PDF
- Publication number
- US609656A US609656A US609656DA US609656A US 609656 A US609656 A US 609656A US 609656D A US609656D A US 609656DA US 609656 A US609656 A US 609656A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 238000004089 heat treatment Methods 0 description title 4
- 239000003570 air Substances 0 description 4
- 238000009740 moulding (composite fabrication) Methods 0 description 3
- 239000004411 aluminium Substances 0 description 2
- XAGFODPZIPBFFR-UHFFFAOYSA-N aluminum Chemical compound data:image/svg+xml;base64,PD94bWwgdmVyc2lvbj0nMS4wJyBlbmNvZGluZz0naXNvLTg4NTktMSc/Pgo8c3ZnIHZlcnNpb249JzEuMScgYmFzZVByb2ZpbGU9J2Z1bGwnCiAgICAgICAgICAgICAgeG1sbnM9J2h0dHA6Ly93d3cudzMub3JnLzIwMDAvc3ZnJwogICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgeG1sbnM6cmRraXQ9J2h0dHA6Ly93d3cucmRraXQub3JnL3htbCcKICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgIHhtbG5zOnhsaW5rPSdodHRwOi8vd3d3LnczLm9yZy8xOTk5L3hsaW5rJwogICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICB4bWw6c3BhY2U9J3ByZXNlcnZlJwp3aWR0aD0nMzAwcHgnIGhlaWdodD0nMzAwcHgnID4KPCEtLSBFTkQgT0YgSEVBREVSIC0tPgo8cmVjdCBzdHlsZT0nb3BhY2l0eToxLjA7ZmlsbDojRkZGRkZGO3N0cm9rZTpub25lJyB3aWR0aD0nMzAwJyBoZWlnaHQ9JzMwMCcgeD0nMCcgeT0nMCc+IDwvcmVjdD4KPHRleHQgeD0nMTQxLjk5NicgeT0nMTU3LjUnIHN0eWxlPSdmb250LXNpemU6MTVweDtmb250LXN0eWxlOm5vcm1hbDtmb250LXdlaWdodDpub3JtYWw7ZmlsbC1vcGFjaXR5OjE7c3Ryb2tlOm5vbmU7Zm9udC1mYW1pbHk6c2Fucy1zZXJpZjt0ZXh0LWFuY2hvcjpzdGFydDtmaWxsOiMwMDAwMDAnID48dHNwYW4+QWw8L3RzcGFuPjwvdGV4dD4KPC9zdmc+Cg== data:image/svg+xml;base64,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 [Al] XAGFODPZIPBFFR-UHFFFAOYSA-N 0 description 2
- 239000007789 gases Substances 0 description 2
- 239000000463 materials Substances 0 description 2
- 239000000047 products Substances 0 description 2
- 238000002485 combustion Methods 0 description 1
- 239000011514 iron Substances 0 description 1
- 230000036633 rest Effects 0 description 1
- A—HUMAN NECESSITIES
- A47—FURNITURE; DOMESTIC ARTICLES OR APPLIANCES; COFFEE MILLS; SPICE MILLS; SUCTION CLEANERS IN GENERAL
- A47J—KITCHEN EQUIPMENT; COFFEE MILLS; SPICE MILLS; APPARATUS FOR MAKING BEVERAGES
- A47J33/00—Camp cooking devices without integral heating means
No. 609,656. Patented Aug. 23, |898. H. A. BOWER.
HEATING AND ILLUNIINATINli ATTACHMENT FOR GAS BURNERS.
` (Application led Jan. 4, 1897.) (No Model.)
TH: ncnms Pneus co. PHoToLnyo., w'nsumaj'o. n. n,
Nrrnn STATES PATENT muon.
HARRY A. BOVVER, OF CHELSEA, MASSACHUSETTS, ASSIGNOR TO W'ENDELL P. LEE AND WILLIAM I'I. BREEN, OF BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS.
HEATING AND ILLUMINATINGATTACHIVIENT FOVR GAS-BURNERS.
SPECIFICATION forming part of Letters Patent No. 609,656, dated August 23, 1898.
Application filed January 4, 1897.
To all whom zt may concern:
Be it known that I, HARRY A. BOWER, of Chelsea, in the county of Suifolk and State of ll/Iassachusetts,have invented certain new and useful Improvements in Heating and Illuminating Attachments for Gas-Burners,of which the following is a specification.
This invention has for its object to provide an attachment for a gas-burner which will serve two distinct purposes, one of which is to utilize the heat generated bythe gas-dame in heating an apartment, and the second of which is to increase the illuminating or light-y giving power of the gas.
To these ends my invention consists of an attachment for gas-burners comprising a casing preferably having a large radiating-surface for giying out heat, and a reector suitably connected with the casing and adapted to reiiect the rays of light from the flame down- I wardly.
It likewise consists of an attachment having those features of improvement which I have shown in the drawings and which I shall hereinafter describe in detail and then point out in the claims hereto appended.
Reference is to be had to the annexed drawings, and to the letters marked thereon, forming a part of this specification, the same letters designating the same parts or features, as the case may be, wherever they occur.
Of the drawings, Figure l is a side elevation of a device embodying my invention. Fig. 2 is a vertical section through the same. Fig. 3 is a plan view.
In carrying out my invention I provide a casing having a dome-shaped top a and an inverted frusto-conical portion a', united by a seam a2, and both formed, preferably, of sheet-iron or other good heat-conductin g material.
The casingis provided with a series of apertures a3, formed in the dome-shaped part thereof, j ust above the seam a2, and it is open at the bottom, as shown in Fig. 2. Within the casing is arranged a ring or band b of any suitable material which will 'reiiect light and which I generally construct of aluminium, as that is cheap and easily to be obtained. It is smaller in diameter than the part c2 of the casing and is held concentrically therein by Serial No. 617,895. (No model.)
bolts c c and nuts c c', so as to leave an annular space CZ between it and the casing.
Preferably the refiector is frusto-conical in shape, with the upper edge slightly curved in- Ward.
The casing is supported upon arod e, which is threaded at its lower end to receive a nut e', upon which the casing rests. The rod e is formed at is upper end into a collar e2, so as 6o to be adjustably mounted upon a horizontal arm f, mounted in a clamp g, which may be secured upon the-main stem of a gas-bracket by screws j The collar e2 is provided with set-screws e3, whereby the rod e may be secured at any point along the rod f.
The clamp g may be in the form shown and may be provided with a series of apertures g2 to receive a series of arms f, whereby the casing may be suspended over each gas-burner 7o in a chandelier.
The conical cap h is supported by a collar 7L on the rod e and extends beyond the edges of the casing for a purpose to be set forth.
Preferably the casing is suspended above the gas-burner, as shown in Figs. 1 and 2, so that the ilame will not impinge upon the aluminium band and so that the heated air and products of combustion arising from the gasflame will pass into the dome a and pass out 8o through the apertures therein.
The products ofcombustion of the gas and the heated air pass out through the aperture as, so that the draft is maintained at all times. The heat of the iame and of the reflector- S5 band is transmitted to the casing, which has a large exterior surface and which becomes heated to such au extent as to raise the temperature of a relatively large room in a very short time. 9o
By employing the cap 72. the rays of heat are deiiected downwardly and the heat of the casing is prevented from injuring the ceiling or from causing the suspending-rod to become too highly heated. Preferably the cap eX- tends for a short distance beyond the periphery of the casing, and though it is located quite near to the dome-shaped top of the latter at the same time practically no heat is felt above it.
By forming the reflecting-band in such way as to leave an annular space between it and IOO the casing I provide for the passage of air between them, so as to prevent the casing from becoming too highly heated and to sup` ply a sufficient quantity of air to be heated and discharged through the orifices CL3.
In addition to the foregoing features I also provide a deector j in the shape of a cone, with inward1yprojecting ingersj, which rest upon the burner just below the lava tip 7o, the deiiector being arranged to guard the burner against the heat rays and keep it cool.
Having thus explained the nature of the invention and described a way of constructing and using the same, though without attempting to set forth all of the forms in which it may be made or all of the modes of its use, I declare that what I claim isl. A heater and light-reflector, comprising a casing, and a lght-reiecting band secured in said casing and being of a smaller cross- .name to this specification, in the presence of two subscribing witnesses, this 28th day of December, A. D. 1896.
HARRY A. BOWER.
C. F. BROWN, E. BATCHELDER..
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US609656A true US609656A (en)||1898-08-23|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US609656D Expired - Lifetime US609656A (en)||Heating and illuminating attachment for gas-burners|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US609656A (en)|
- US US609656D patent/US609656A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US2214503A (en)||Gas heating apparatus|
|US3364914A (en)||Heating and lighting apparatus|
|US2257548A (en)||Oil burner|
|US34408A (en)||Improvement in lamps|
|US557721A (en)||Gas burnek|
|US142432A (en)||William s|
|US598912A (en)||Egbert munn dixon|
|US136021A (en)||Improvement in vapor-burners|
|US1262968A (en)||Shadowless lantern.|
|US354564A (en)||Regenerative gas-b|
|US472594A (en)||Charles s|
|US1049388A (en)||Water-heating apparatus.|
|US166484A (en)||Improvement in lanterns|
|US246950A (en)||Adjustable cap for lamp-chimneys|