US561048A - Reuben h - Google PatentsReuben h Download PDF
- Publication number
- US561048A US561048A US561048DA US561048A US 561048 A US561048 A US 561048A US 561048D A US561048D A US 561048DA US 561048 A US561048 A US 561048A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Expired - Lifetime
- 238000010276 construction Methods 0.000 description 1
- 230000000875 corresponding Effects 0.000 description 1
- 238000006073 displacement reaction Methods 0.000 description 1
- 230000000284 resting Effects 0.000 description 1
- B—PERFORMING OPERATIONS; TRANSPORTING
- B62—LAND VEHICLES FOR TRAVELLING OTHERWISE THAN ON RAILS
- B62C—VEHICLES DRAWN BY ANIMALS
- B62C5/00—Draught assemblies
(No Model) R. H. EWING.
No. 661,048,; Patented May 26, 1896.
(NVENTOI? .W/TNESSES I g/ 7 "1 WWW?) W, A rromvsys.
UNITED STATES PATENT OFFICE.
REUBEN H. EYVING, OF MONDAMIN, IOWVA, ASSIGNOR TO GEORGE A. lVALLACE, OF SAME PLACE.
SPECIFICATION forming part of Letters Patent No. 561,048, dated May 26, 1896.
Application filed November '7, 1895. Serial No. 568,220. (No model.)
To all whom it may concern:
Be it known that I, REUBEN H. EWING, of Mondamin, in the county of Harrison and State of Iowa, have invented a new and Improved Trace-Holder, of which the following is a full, clear, and exact description.
The invention relates to whiffletrees; and its object is to provide a new and improved trace or tug holder which is simple and durable in construction and arranged for securely holding the trace or tug in place on the end of a singletree or Whiffletree.
The invention consists of certain parts and details and combinations of the same, as will be fully described hereinafter, and then pointed out in the claims.
Reference is to be had to the accompanying drawings, forming a part of this specification, in which similar characters of reference indicate corresponding parts in all the figures.
Figure 1 is a perspective view of the improvement, showing the stirrup in a closed position. Fig. 2 is a similar view of the same with the stirrup open, and Fig. 3 is an end elevation of the improvement.
The singletree A is provided at each end with the usual ferrule-cap B, from the end of which extends a pin 0, adapted to be engaged by the rear end of the trace or tug, the latter also passing through a stirrup D, fulcrumed in a bearing E, attached to the front side of the whiffletree A next to the cap B, as is plainly shown in the drawings.
The bottom plate D of the stirrup D is formed with a recess D adapted to engage the pin 0 at the time the stirrup D is closed, as shown in Figs. 1 and 3, and said recess D is adapted to be closed at its open end by a bolt F, fitted to slide vertically in suitable bearings in the stirrup-plate D.
The upper end of the bolt F is provided with a suitable knob F, and the bolt is also pressed on by a spring G, resting with one end against one of the bolt-bearings and at its other end on a collar formed or secured on the bolt. Now it will be seen that when the stirrup D is swung rearwardly and the bolt F is pulled up then the recess D engages the pin 0, and when the latter is entering the recess the bolt F is released, so that its spring G closes the open end of the recess, so as to lock the plate D, and consequently the stirrup D, in position. The plate D extends a suitable distance from the outer end of the cap B- to permit of conveniently placing the end of the trace on the pin 0 before closing the stirrup, it being understood that the trace or tug also passes through the opening in the stirrup.
By the arrangement described the rear end of the tug or trace is securely held and locked in place on the pin C, so that an accidental displacement of the trace cannot take place.
Having thus fully described my invention, I claim as new and desire to secure by Letters Patent 1. A trace-holder, comprising a pin projecting from the end of the singletree or the like, and a stirrup movably connected to the singletree, said stirrup having a free space between its members to receive the end of the trace, and being further provided with a slot or recess adapted to receive the said pin, substantially as described.
2. A trace-holder, comprising a pin projecting from the end of the singletree or the like, a stirrup movably connected to the singletree and having a free space between its members to receive the end of the trace so that the side edges of the trace Will be adjacent to the members of the stirrup, the stirrup being further provided with a slot or recess to receive the pin on the singletree, and
a locking device for closing the end of the slot or recess, substantially as described.
A trace-holder, comprising a pin projecting from the end of the singletree or the like, a stirrup movably connected to the singletree and adapted to receive the end of the trace, and a locking device movably secured to the stirrup and adapted to engage the said projecting pin, substantially as described.
4. A trace-holder, comprising a pin projecting from the end of the singletree or the like, and a stirrup movably connected to the 5. A trace-holder, comprising t pin prostirrup and arranged to close the end of the jeeting from the end of the singletree or the slot or recess, substantially as described.
like a stirru inovabi 7 connected to the singletree and adapted to receive the end of the REUBEi 1T. IRVING. 5 trace, said stirrup being provided with a slot \Vitnesses:
0r recess adapted to receive the pin on the M. B. MORFORD,
singletree, and a movable bolt held on the MILTON R. SIMMONs.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US561048A true US561048A (en)||1896-05-26|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US561048D Expired - Lifetime US561048A (en)||Reuben h|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US561048A (en)|
- US US561048D patent/US561048A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US561048A (en)||Reuben h|
|US176583A (en)||Improvement in thill-couplings|
|US576600A (en)||James mitchell|
|US582803A (en)||Coupling for vehicle-poles|
|US137990A (en)||Improvement in single-trees for horse-cars|
|US116052A (en)||Improvement in trace-locks|
|US323746A (en)||Edwaed h|
|US423277A (en)||Vehicle-pole tip|
|US180762A (en)||Improvement in trace-fastenings|
|US748043A (en)||Pin-locking mechanism for clevises or similar purposes.|