US540263A - Edwin oswald loach and frank hawker - Google PatentsEdwin oswald loach and frank hawker Download PDF
- Publication number
- US540263A US540263A US540263DA US540263A US 540263 A US540263 A US 540263A US 540263D A US540263D A US 540263DA US 540263 A US540263 A US 540263A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 241000252185 Cobitidae Species 0.000 title description 4
- 239000007799 cork Substances 0.000 description 34
- 238000004519 manufacturing process Methods 0.000 description 8
- 238000000605 extraction Methods 0.000 description 4
- 230000004048 modification Effects 0.000 description 4
- 238000006011 modification reaction Methods 0.000 description 4
- 241001411320 Eriogonum inflatum Species 0.000 description 2
- 241000287227 Fringillidae Species 0.000 description 2
- 239000011324 bead Substances 0.000 description 2
- 238000010586 diagram Methods 0.000 description 2
- 239000002184 metal Substances 0.000 description 2
- B—PERFORMING OPERATIONS; TRANSPORTING
- B65—CONVEYING; PACKING; STORING; HANDLING THIN OR FILAMENTARY MATERIAL
- B65D—CONTAINERS FOR STORAGE OR TRANSPORT OF ARTICLES OR MATERIALS, e.g. BAGS, BARRELS, BOTTLES, BOXES, CANS, CARTONS, CRATES, DRUMS, JARS, TANKS, HOPPERS, FORWARDING CONTAINERS; ACCESSORIES, CLOSURES, OR FITTINGS THEREFOR; PACKAGING ELEMENTS; PACKAGES
- B65D39/00—Closures arranged within necks or pouring openings or in discharge apertures, e.g. stoppers
- B65D39/16—Closures arranged within necks or pouring openings or in discharge apertures, e.g. stoppers with handles or other special means facilitating manual actuation
E. 0. LOAOH 85 F. HAWKER.
MANUFACTURE OF BOTTLE STOPPERS.
Patented'June 4, 1895.
STATES EDWIN OSVVALD LOAOH AND FRANK HAVVKER, OF BIRMINGHAM, ENGLAND.
MANUFACTURE OF BOTTLE-STOPPERS.
SFEGIFIGATION forming part of Letters Patent No. 540,263, dated June 4, 1895. Application filed January 16, I895. Serial No. 535,150. (No model.) Patented in England October 4, 1894, No. 18,780.
To all whom it may concern: 4
Be it known that We, EDWIN OSWALD LOACH, fitter and tool-maker, of 96 Finch Road, Handsworth, and FRANK HAWKER, manufacturer, of Argosy Works, Branston Street, Birmingham, in the county of War wick, England, subjects of the Queen of Great Britain, have invented certain new and useful Improvements in the Manufacture of Bottie-Stoppers, (for which We have obtained Letters Patent in England, No.18,780, dated October 4, 1894,) of which the following is a specification.
Our invention has for its object improvements in and in the manufacture of bottle stoppers by which a metal cap is mostsecurely affixed to the cork for forming a handle for the extraction of the cork without fear of the cap becoming detached from the cork during the operation of extraction.
In order that our invention may be clearly understood and more easily carried into practice we have appended hereunto a sheet of drawings upon which the invention is illustrated.
Figures 1 and 2 aresectional elevation and plan views showing the outside casing A after.
sectional elevation showing the two casings brought together ready to receive the cork and with the outside casing A turned inward to a such like shape as indicated by the bead a and the inclined piece 09. Fig. 6 is a sectional elevation of the two casings A and B and the cork E brought together after passing through suit able tools, which press the edge a down upon the outer part of B, so turning in the edge 12 into the cork, and thus forming a clip upon the cork, which operation also forces the cork E at e well up into the now-formed dovetailed recess, thus securing it in position. Fig. 7 shows the cork and mount complete in elevation. Fig. 8 shows a modification by which the cork is strengthened against the liability of breaking through laterally. Fig.
9 is a plan of Fig. 8. Fig. 10 is another slight modification. Fig. 11 is a diagram showing the
part 1 2 where the cork is liable to break.
It will be not-iced that the farther the outer flange 01. is forced down 17 the tighter B becomes upon the cork E which allows the same tools to be used for several sized corks. Serrations I) also assist to hold the mount upon the cork but they may be greatly varied in number and shape and sometimes dispensed with altogether. The external configuration of the mount A may also be greatly varied without departing from the principle of the invention.
In withdrawing the stopper the cork issometimes liable to break through the line 1-2 Fig. 11. For the purpose of preventing this I attach a spiral wire K Figs. 8 and 9 to the inner casing B or to both B and A but to B only is generally sufficient. In some cases the spiral K answers without any attachment to the casings but simply runsinto the cork E as at Fig. 10.
What we'claim, then, is-
A stopper head consisting of the outer casing A provided with the annular head a and the inwardly inclined upper flange a in combination with the inner casing B adapted to fit on a cork and having its upper edge 19 extended beyond the said flange in order that when the latter is forced down it may bend inward the walls of the said inner casing and force the said edge 27 into the cork, the said flange a bearing on the outside of the said inner casing substantially as set forth.
In testimony that we claim the foregoing as our own we have affixed our names in the pres ence of two witnesses.
EDWVIN OSWALD LOACI-I. FRANK I-IAWKER.
GEORGE BARKER, GEORGE LESTER.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US540263A true US540263A (en)||1895-06-04|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US540263D Expired - Lifetime US540263A (en)||Edwin oswald loach and frank hawker|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US540263A (en)|
- US US540263D patent/US540263A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US540263A (en)||Edwin oswald loach and frank hawker|
|US1156915A (en)||Non-removable bottle-stopper.|
|JP5152753B2 (en)||Synthetic resin pouring cap|
|US581157A (en)||Non-refillable bottle|
|US802562A (en)||Metal cap for bottle-stoppers.|
|RU166544U1 (en)||CAP FOR BOTTLE|
|US795283A (en)||Closure for bottles, jars, or other receptacles.|
|US568773A (en)||Albert s|
|US760097A (en)||Combined bottle opener and stopper.|
|US640806A (en)||Bottle-stopper and extractor.|
|US585807A (en)||Non-refillable bottle|
|US754060A (en)||Jar and closure therefor.|