US502095A - End-gate fastening - Google PatentsEnd-gate fastening Download PDF
- Publication number
- US502095A US502095A US502095DA US502095A US 502095 A US502095 A US 502095A US 502095D A US502095D A US 502095DA US 502095 A US502095 A US 502095A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 238000010276 construction Methods 0.000 description 1
- 239000000789 fastener Substances 0.000 description 1
- B—PERFORMING OPERATIONS; TRANSPORTING
- B62—LAND VEHICLES FOR TRAVELLING OTHERWISE THAN ON RAILS
- B62D—MOTOR VEHICLES; TRAILERS
- B62D33/00—Superstructures for load-carrying vehicles
- B62D33/02—Platforms; Open load compartments
- B62D33/023—Sideboard or tailgate structures
- B62D33/027—Sideboard or tailgate structures movable
- B62D33/0273—Movable tailboards for vehicles comprising non-movable sideboards, e.g. pick-up trucks
(N0 Mode l.') I
- F. A; HAVENS.
END GATE FASTENING- No. 502,095. Patented July 25, 1893 (xi Q1 f, 1:". W/J I c Q I O J: I
71:1: D m 9 WI NESSES.
' D I n I S L #4. 4 J mm UNITED STATES PATENT OFFICE.
FREDERICK A. HAVENS, OF WETHERSFIELD, CONNECTICUT.
EN D-GATE FASTENING.
SPECIFICATION forming part of Letters Patent No. 502,095, dated July 25, 1893. Application filed March 22, 1893. Serial No. 467,143. (No model.)
To all whom it may concern.-
Be it known that I, FREDERICK A. HAVENS, of Wethersfield,in the county of Hartford and State of Connecticut, have invented certain new and useful Improvements in End-Gate Fastenings; and I do hereby declare the fol-. lowing to be a full, clear, and exact description of the invention, such as will enable others skilled in the art to which it pertains to make and use it, reference being had to the accompanying drawings, which form a part of this specification.
My invention relates to an improvement in end gate fastenings, and the object of the same is to provide a fastener which is carried by the gate and which will automatically engage the wagon body when the gate is closed.
Referring to the accompanying drawings Figure 1, is a side elevation of the rear portion of a wagon body showing the end gate held closed by my improved device. Fig. 2, is a similar View thelatch being raised from the notch of the body. Fig: 3, is rear elevation.
A designates the side of the wagon body having near its rear end the transverse groove B, and C designates the end gate. Secured to the outer side of the end gate is the strap D having the perforated projecting lugs E.
F is the latch proper having at its rear end the depending lugs G, which are in line with the lugs E, and extending through all these lugs is the pivotal pin H. Encircling this pin between lugs E, is the coiled spring I, one end of which depends on the strap D, while its opposite end is projected upward and a short distance over the latch F, as shown, so as to hold the same normally down, as will be readily understood.
The latch at its forwardend has the depending lug J, which when the gate is closed is adapted to engage the groove B of side A, and thus hold the gate securely looked, as shown in Fig. 1. An ear K projects from the upper side of the latch for the purpose-of conveniently raising the same when the gate is to be lowered. The coiled spring holds the latch normally down flatly upon the top edge of the gate, as shown in Fig. 2,-and when it is pushed forward over the body side vA, it is raised slightly but dropped into the groove B, as soon as the latter is reached, thus automatically looking the gate.
My improved locking device is very simple and cheap in construction, while at the same time it is very durable and accomplishes very effectually the desired end.
Having thus fully described my invention, what I claim, and desire to secure by Letters Patent, is-
1. The combination of a body, a hinged end gate, a strap secured thereto, perforated lugs projecting from the strap, a latch adapted to engage the body at its forward end, lugs depending from the rear end of thelatch, and a bolt extending through the lugs of the latch and strap, substantially as shown and described.
2. The combination of a body having the transverse groove, a swinging end gate, lugs projecting outward therefrom, a horizontal latch, a lug depending from the forward end of the latch which enters the said transverse groove, depending perforated lugs on the rear end of the latch, a pivotal bolt extending through the last named lugs and the lugs projecting from the gate, and a spring coiled about the said pin having its lower end turned outward to engage the gate and its upper end so projected as to bear against the latch, substantially as shown and described.
In testimony whereof I affix my signature in presence of two witnesses.
FREDERICK A. HAVENS.
FRED D. GLAZIER, E. L. WEAVER.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US502095A true US502095A (en)||1893-07-25|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US502095D Expired - Lifetime US502095A (en)||End-gate fastening|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US502095A (en)|
- US US502095D patent/US502095A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US502095A (en)||End-gate fastening|
|US352627A (en)||Trunk or box fastener|
|US1053054A (en)||Lumber-binding chain.|
|US175167A (en)||Improvement in vehicle-seat locks|
|US535991A (en)||George b|
|US1037377A (en)||Combined door check and lock.|
|US584058A (en)||Sydney waring lockhart|
|US65086A (en)||Samuel w|
|US192966A (en)||Improvement in latches for gates and doors|
|US752166A (en)||James b|
|US125935A (en)||Improvement in cart-body catches|
|US958075A (en)||Latch for end-gates of mining-cars.|
|US151865A (en)||Improvement in carriage-curtain fastenings|
|US167647A (en)||Improvement in handles for milk-cans|
|US715966A (en)||End-gate lock.|