US477176A - Joseph ii - Google PatentsJoseph ii Download PDF
- Publication number
- US477176A US477176A US477176DA US477176A US 477176 A US477176 A US 477176A US 477176D A US477176D A US 477176DA US 477176 A US477176 A US 477176A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 210000001847 Jaw Anatomy 0.000 description 6
- 238000010276 construction Methods 0.000 description 2
- 238000010168 coupling process Methods 0.000 description 2
- 238000005859 coupling reaction Methods 0.000 description 2
- 210000001699 lower leg Anatomy 0.000 description 2
- 239000011435 rock Substances 0.000 description 2
- B—PERFORMING OPERATIONS; TRANSPORTING
- B61G—COUPLINGS; DRAUGHT AND BUFFING APPLIANCES
- B61G3/00—Couplings comprising mating parts of similar shape or form which can be coupled without the use of any additional element or elements
- B61G3/04—Couplings comprising mating parts of similar shape or form which can be coupled without the use of any additional element or elements with coupling head having a guard arm on one side and a knuckle with angularly-disposed nose and tail portions pivoted to the other side thereof, the nose of the knuckle being the coupling part, and means to lock the knuckle in coupling position, e.g. "A.A.R." or "Janney" type
- B61G3/06—Knuckle-locking devices
- B61G3/08—Control devices, e.g. for uncoupling
J. H. GOODE 81: W. H. ANTHONY.
No. 477,176. Patented June 14,1892.
www mw MSNM@ nu., Puo-ranma., msnwarou, u c
UNITED STATES PATENT OFFICE.
JOSEPH II. GOODE AND WILLIAM II. ANTHONY, OF RICHMOND, VIRGINIA, ASSIGNORS OF ONE-THIRD TO 1WILLIAM GARSTANG, OF SAME PLACE.
SPECIFICATION forming part of Letters Patent No. 477,176, dated June 14, 1892.
Application tiled October 2, 1891.
To all whom it may concern.-
Be it known that we, JOSEPH I'I. GOODE and WILLIAM H. ANTHONY, citizens of the United States, residing at Richmond, in the county of IIenrico and State of Virginia, have invented certain new and useful Improvements in Oar- Couplers; and we do hereby declare the following to be a full, clear, and exact description of the invention, such as will enable others skilled in the art to which it appertains to make and use the same.
This invention relates to certain new and useful improvements in that class of car-couplingsin which twin jaws or knuckles adapted to engage each other are employed to effect the connection of the draw-heads; and it has for its objects to provide for automatically uncoupling the draw-heads in case the drawbar, key, or strap of one of the coupled cars should break and to hold the draw-head of the broken bar, key, or strap so that said bar, key, or strap shall not be pulled out of its seat, as more fully hereinafter explained.
The above-mentioned objects are attained by the means illustrated in the accompanying drawings, in which- Figure l represents a side elevation of one end of a car and showing our invention applied thereto. Fig. 2 is a View in plan illustrating more clearly the construction and arrangement of the several parts of our invention.
In the drawings the letter A indicates the draw-head of a car, which is located at the forward end of the draw-bar, as usual.
B represents a portion of the lower frame of a car, and C a portion of the body of the same.
The draw-head is provided with the usual curved recess extending vertically through it and opening to the front.
The letter D indicates the pivoted jaw or knuckle, which is set in a recess in the drawhead, as usual, and E indicates the locking bar or pin, which sets in a vertical recess in the draw-head in the usual manner, so as to lock and unlock the shank of the drawknuckle.
Scrial No. 407,541. (No model.)
F indicates two slotted links pivoted to the upper end of the bar E, G an arm working` between the upper end of said links, and Il the rock-shaft to which said arm is attached and by which it is raised to elevate the bar E when the said bar is to be uncoupled from the side.
The above-mentioned devices, with the exception of the slotted links F, which form a `part of our present invention, are common to the class of car-couplers above mentioned, and hence need not be more particularly doscribed.
At the forward part of the lower framework of the car is located a block l, havinga vertical recess Kin front for a short rock shaft M, which is provided at one end with a forwardly-projectin,r and upwardly-curved lever N, arranged to work between the slotted links before mentioned. The said lever is provided with a curved slot P, through which passes a pin R, extending through the links above mentioned, so as to properly limit the movements of the parts of the device. The shaft at its other end is provided with a downwardly-curved lever-hook S, which is engaged by and engages the rear wall of the recess in the block T, extendingr upward from the draw-head.
The operation of our invention is as follows: In Fig. l the parts are shown in open position ready to be coupled. Vhen coupled, the locking pin or bar is dropped and lever S bears against the back wall of the recess in the block T, and should the draw-bar break it is immediately drawn forward. The rear wall of the block Tlifts the lever-hook S and raises the lock bar or pin, releasing the jaw and the coupling-heads. lVhen the lever S has risen to the position shown in Fig. l, its movement is arrested and it holds the draw-head, keeping the draw bar or pin from bein g drawn out of its seat.
Having thus described our invention, what we claim as new, and desire to secure by Letters Patent of the United States, is-
The combination, with the locking-bar and links of a twin-3 aw car-coupler, of a rock-shaft having upwardly and downwardly-curved ley vers and the draw-head and recessed bloek thereon, the upwardly-en rved lever being slotted and confined between the links by a pin and JLhe downwardly-curved level1 adapted to l be engaged and to engage the reim? Wall of the recessed block, substantially as described,
and for the purpose seb forth.
In testimony whereof we affix om` signatures in presence of two Witnesses. l
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US477176A true US477176A (en)||1892-06-14|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US477176D Expired - Lifetime US477176A (en)||Joseph ii|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US477176A (en)|
- US US477176D patent/US477176A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US477176A (en)||Joseph ii|
|US522954A (en)||James m|
|US567465A (en)||Thomas galligan|
|US387416A (en)||Car coupling|
|US1069280A (en)||Automatic car-coupling.|