US460513A - Edwin ruud - Google PatentsEdwin ruud Download PDF
- Publication number
- US460513A US460513A US460513DA US460513A US 460513 A US460513 A US 460513A US 460513D A US460513D A US 460513DA US 460513 A US460513 A US 460513A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- G05—CONTROLLING; REGULATING
- G05D—SYSTEMS FOR CONTROLLING OR REGULATING NON-ELECTRIC VARIABLES
- G05D23/00—Control of temperature
- G05D23/01—Control of temperature without auxiliary power
- G05D23/02—Control of temperature without auxiliary power with sensing element expanding and contracting in response to changes of temperature
- G05D23/024—Control of temperature without auxiliary power with sensing element expanding and contracting in response to changes of temperature the sensing element being of the rod type, tube type, or of a similar type
- G05D23/026—Control of temperature without auxiliary power with sensing element expanding and contracting in response to changes of temperature the sensing element being of the rod type, tube type, or of a similar type the sensing element being placed outside a regulating fluid flow
- G05D23/027—Control of temperature without auxiliary power with sensing element expanding and contracting in response to changes of temperature the sensing element being of the rod type, tube type, or of a similar type the sensing element being placed outside a regulating fluid flow for combustible fluid
Patented Sept. 29, 1891.
dam @me [f7 .m 3 Hf III l o L nuwe sirens co., vovo-umn.. wAsyxncYN, u. c.
@Wx [meer UNITED STATES PATENT OEEICE.
EDVIN RUUD, OF PITTSBURG, PENNSYLVANIA, ASSIGNOR TO THE FUEL GAS AND MANUFACTURING COMPANY, OF SAME PLACE.
SPECIFICATION forming part of Letters Patent No. 460,513, dated September 29, 1891.
Application filed October 23, 1890. Serial No. 369,128. (No model.)
To @ZZ whom it may concern.-
Be it known that I, EDWIN RUUD, a citizen ot the United States, residing at Pittsburg, in the county of Allegheny and State of Pennsylvania, have invented or discovered a certain new and useful Improvement in NVater- Heaters, of which improvement the following is a specification.
In a patent obtained by me December 30, 1890, No. 443,797, I have described and claimed certain improvements in Water-heaters, such improvements consisting, generally stated, in certain mechanism controlled by the temperature of the Water in the boiler for regulating the flow of gas to the burner employed for heating the boiler.
The present invention has for its object a construction of the regulating Inechanism, whereby the flow of gas to the burner may be more nearly proportioned to the quantity of cold water admitted; and in general terms the invention consists in the construction and combination of mechanical devices or elements, all as more fully hereinafter described and claimed.
In the accompanying drawing, forming a part of this specification, is shown a sectional elevation of a water-heater having my improvement applied thereto.
As described in the patent hereinbefore referred to, the heater consists of the shell 1, having tubes or iiues 2 passing therethrough. The burner 4 is arranged in a box or case below the heater and is connected by a pipe G t0 a valve-case 7, to which the gassupply pipe 8 is also connected. The stem of the valve 9 is connected to one end of the lever 11, as described in said patent, the opposite end of the lever being connected to a rod 17. This rod 17 passes through a stuffing-box 15 and is secured at its lower end to the expansion-tube 14, which is formed of a suitable material, preferably metal, having a higher coefficient of expansion than the metal of which the shell is formed. This expansion-tube is so constructed, as regards its upper end, as to prevent the entrance thereinto of the Warm water in the heater in any considerable quantity, but is provided with an opening located in such proximity to the discharge end of the water-supply pipe 18,
passing through the Wall of the shell 1, that the cold water will flow into the tube 14 at or near its upper end and be discharged at its lower end, which is secured as against longitudinal movement to the lower head of the boiler. It is preferred to attach elbow-couplings 32 and 33 to the ends of the expansiontube, the upper and lower end of the tube 14 screwing into one of the openings in cach coupling, while the other openings are arranged to receive the water from the supplypipe and discharge it into the shell near the lower end thereof. The lower end of the eX- pansion-tube is secured to the lower head of the shell by a rod 34, screwing into the coupling 33, and passing through the lower head is held by a nut 35.
As the water is drawn from the heater the cold water will flow into the expansion-tube, but its chilling effect will be partially counteracted by the warm Water surrounding said tube, and hence the contraction of the tube will be comparatively small if a small quantity of Water is withdrawn, but will gradually increase if a larger quantity is withdrawn, Whereas in the construction set forth in the patent referred to, the eXpansion-rod being inclosed in a pipe, the modifying inuence of the Water within the shell cannot affect the rod for some time after the admission of the cold water.
, The construction set forth in Patent No. 443,797 is morev especially adapted to heaters of small capacity, While my improved construction is better adapted to heaters of large capacity and where comparatively small quantities of Water are drawn off. It will be readily understood that in the construction shown in said patent when small quantities of water are drawn the reduction of temperature around the expansion rod` will be nearly the same as if a large quantity was withdrawn, whereas in the present construction the chilling effect of a small quantity of Water Will be greatly modified by the warm Water surrounding the expansiontube, and hence the gas-valve will. be only slightly opened, 0r in proportion to the reduction of temperature effected.
I claim herein as my invention- 1. The combination of a water-containing shell or boiler, zi gas-burner arranged below the boiler, a valve controlling the ow of gas to the burner, an expansion-tube so arranged Within the boiler that the Water in entering the boiler will pass through the tube, and connections from the tube to the gas-regulating valve, substantially as set forth.
2. The Combination of a Water-eontaining shell or boiler, an expansion-tube arranged Within the boiler and provided at its upper end with an opening in close proximity to the discharge end of the supply-pipe and with a disehargeopening at rits lower end, a burner arranged below the boiler, and a, Valve controlling the 110W of gus to the burner and connected to theexpension-tube, substantially as set forth.
In testimony whereof I have hereunto Set niy hand.
DARWIN S. WoLeoT'r, R. H. VIAIITTLESEY.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US460513A true US460513A (en)||1891-09-29|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US460513D Expired - Lifetime US460513A (en)||Edwin ruud|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US460513A (en)|
- US US460513D patent/US460513A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US1689935A (en)||Water heater|
|US964031A (en)||Liquid-hydrocarbon-burning apparatus.|
|US1219516A (en)||Liquid-fuel heater.|
|US626454A (en)||Thirds to jacob l|
|US1219515A (en)||Liquid-fuel heater.|
|US1974177A (en)||Explosive combustion boiler|
|US1037029A (en)||Combination steam-boiler and water-heater.|
|US1270877A (en)||Automatic regulating device for heaters.|
|US1236953A (en)||Automatic regulator for gas systems.|
|US853738A (en)||Storage water-heater.|
|US141002A (en)||Improvement in metallurgic gas-furnaces|
|US408073A (en)||Gas heating burner|
|US1779165A (en)||Water heater|
|US1701191A (en)||Automatic oil feeding and starting valve|
|US496488A (en)||Automatic distilling apparatus|
|US1854236A (en)||Automatic fuel regulator|
|US328914A (en)||John ashceoft|