US456099A - Barrel - Google PatentsBarrel Download PDF
- Publication number
- US456099A US456099A US456099DA US456099A US 456099 A US456099 A US 456099A US 456099D A US456099D A US 456099DA US 456099 A US456099 A US 456099A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 235000008733 Citrus aurantifolia Nutrition 0.000 description 1
- 241000475131 Diasporus tinker Species 0.000 description 1
- 210000000282 Nails Anatomy 0.000 description 1
- 235000007164 Oryza sativa Nutrition 0.000 description 1
- 240000007594 Oryza sativa Species 0.000 description 1
- 235000015450 Tilia cordata Nutrition 0.000 description 1
- 235000011941 Tilia x europaea Nutrition 0.000 description 1
- 238000010276 construction Methods 0.000 description 1
- 239000004571 lime Substances 0.000 description 1
- 238000004519 manufacturing process Methods 0.000 description 1
- 201000008585 noma Diseases 0.000 description 1
- 235000009566 rice Nutrition 0.000 description 1
- 239000002023 wood Substances 0.000 description 1
- B—PERFORMING OPERATIONS; TRANSPORTING
- B65—CONVEYING; PACKING; STORING; HANDLING THIN OR FILAMENTARY MATERIAL
- B65D—CONTAINERS FOR STORAGE OR TRANSPORT OF ARTICLES OR MATERIALS, e.g. BAGS, BARRELS, BOTTLES, BOXES, CANS, CARTONS, CRATES, DRUMS, JARS, TANKS, HOPPERS, FORWARDING CONTAINERS; ACCESSORIES, CLOSURES, OR FITTINGS THEREFOR; PACKAGING ELEMENTS; PACKAGES
- B65D9/00—Containers having bodies formed by interconnecting or uniting two or more rigid, or substantially rigid, components made wholly or mainly of wood or substitutes therefor
- B65D9/02—Containers of curved cross-section, e.g. cylindrical boxes
J. E. TINKER 9 9. T. BENJAMIN. BARREL. No. 456,999. Patented July 14, 1891.
www. www.. f w M $97 MHIHIM ll1|l|il|| HJIHHIIII IIWIlI l|l Ill-lign?, m
rnz nomas persas ca., mom-umu., wuumu'mn, n. c.
UNITED STATES PATENT OFFICE.
JULIEN E. TINKER AND GEORGE T. BENJAMIN, OF CHATTANOOGA, TENNES- SEE, ASSIGNORS OF ONE-THIRD TO EBER BLODGETT, 4OE CHARLESTON,
SPECIFICATION forming part of Letters Patent No. 456,099, dated July 14, 1891.
Application filed November 17, 1890. Serial No. 371,712. (No model.)
To all whom it may concern: Be it known that we, JULIEN E. TINKER and GEORGE T. BENJAMIN,of Chattanooga, in the county of Hamilton and State of Tennessee,
5 have invented certain new Aand useful Improvements in Barrels, Kegs, &c.; and We do hereby declare the following to be a full, clear,
and exact description of the invention, such as will enable others skilled in the art to lo which it pertains to make and use the same.
Our invention relates to improvements in barrels, kegs, &c., in which the staves are provided With slight corrugations running cross- Wise thereof, and these, when the staves are I5 assembled, constitute slight grooves ruiming circumferentially around the barrel, these grooves serving to retain the barrel-hoops in place.
In the accompanying drawings, Figure l is zo a side elevation of a barrel embodying my invention. Fig. 2 is an enlarged elevation in section, showing only a portion of the barrel.
A represents the staves ot a barrel, and B the barrel-hoop. The staves as they are cut z5 in a veneer-machine orv other machine are slightly corrugated crosswise by means of a corrugated or luted knife, these corrugations vbeing shown at a.- When the staves are assembled in the barrel, these corrugations of 3o the individual staves form in the aggregate substantially grooves running circumferentially around the barrel. There are usually about three or four of such corrugations to the inch lengthwise of the staves. The hoops are supposed to be of wood, and in driving the hoops stretch or expand quite a little, and after the driving the tendency of the hoop is to recoil or contract, whereby the inner surface of a hoop, and more especially at the edges, is drawn into these oorrugations suiiciently to hold the hoop in place.
It is not necessary to chalk the hoops o1' the barrels before driving the hoops, and it is not necessary to nail or otherwise secure the hoops more than the grooving or corrugating of the staves aforesaid. Even in barrels in which lime or rice is shipped these hoops, by reason of the corrugations or grooves, retain their place, although these commodities tend to shrink the staves, so that with ordinary barrels the hoop would fall off in handling. e
Ve do not wish to limit ourselves to the construction of barrels and kegs, as the inventionA is equally well adapted to tubs, pails, &c.
What we claim is- As an article of manufacture,abarrel, keg, tub, or pail constructed with circumferential corrugations of slight and regular curvature, and hoops adapted to rest over and be drawn into several of these corrugations, substantially as set forth. f
In testimonywhereof we sign this specification, in the presence of two witnesses, this 14th day of July, 1890.
, JULIEN E. TINKER. GEORGE T. BENJAMIN.
W. C. ROSENBERGER, t J. E. DoUBLEDAY.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US456099A true US456099A (en)||1891-07-14|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US456099D Expired - Lifetime US456099A (en)||Barrel|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US456099A (en)|
- US US456099D patent/US456099A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US1009326A (en)||Barrel construction.|
|US459646A (en)||Standard-barrel stave|
|US550094A (en)||Barrel or tierce|
|US106827A (en)||Improved barrel|
|US340493A (en)||Ventilated barrel|
|US886981A (en)||Metal head for barrels, casks, and the like.|
|US117274A (en)||Improvement in barrel-heads|
|US298962A (en)||Metallic barrel-hoop|
|US73461A (en)||Louis raymond|
|US211146A (en)||Improvement in barrels|
|US181241A (en)||Improvement in barrels|
|US48497A (en)||Improved metallic hoop for barrels, casks|
|US111058A (en)||Improvement in the construction of barrels for beer|
|US97841A (en)||Improved barrel|
|US658707A (en)||Veneer-barrel-heading self-fastener and holder combined.|
|US412212A (en)||Henry h|
|US148824A (en)||Improvement in heads for paper barrels|