US393487A - Edge-shave - Google PatentsEdge-shave Download PDF
- Publication number
- US393487A US393487A US393487DA US393487A US 393487 A US393487 A US 393487A US 393487D A US393487D A US 393487DA US 393487 A US393487 A US 393487A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 238000010276 construction Methods 0.000 description 2
- 210000000474 Heel Anatomy 0.000 description 1
- 206010022114 Injury Diseases 0.000 description 1
- 241000219492 Quercus Species 0.000 description 1
- 235000016976 Quercus macrolepis Nutrition 0.000 description 1
- 239000010985 leather Substances 0.000 description 1
- 230000001105 regulatory Effects 0.000 description 1
- 230000036633 rest Effects 0.000 description 1
- 230000000284 resting Effects 0.000 description 1
- B—PERFORMING OPERATIONS; TRANSPORTING
- B27—WORKING OR PRESERVING WOOD OR SIMILAR MATERIAL; NAILING OR STAPLING MACHINES IN GENERAL
- B27G—ACCESSORY MACHINES OR APPARATUS FOR WORKING WOOD OR SIMILAR MATERIALS; TOOLS FOR WORKING WOOD OR SIMILAR MATERIALS; SAFETY DEVICES FOR WOOD WORKING MACHINES OR TOOLS
- B27G17/00—Manually-operated tools
- B27G17/04—Spokeshaves; Scrapers
No. 393,487. Patented Nov. 27, 1888.
UNITED STATES PATENT OFFICE.
AUGUST SCHILLMOLLER, OF OAKLAND, CALTFORNIA.
SPECIFICATION forming part of Letters Patent No. 393,487, dated November 27, 1888.
I Appieation filed October-27,1887. SerialNmQflIljGfi. (Model) 1'0 (tZZ whom it may concern.-
' 5e it known that I, AUGUST SonrLmiifmLEn, a citizen of the United States,residing at Oak land, Alameda county, State of California, have invented a new and useful EdgeShave for Use in the llfanufacture of Roots and Shoes, of which the following is a specification.
The object of the invention is to produce a hand-tool with which the edge of the sole of a hoot or shoe can be shaved without injury to the upper.
The invention consists in the particular con struction and combination of parts.
Figure 1 is a View of the shave from the front that is, the side of the face of the blade. Fig. 2 is a view of the side---that is, a View toward the edge of the knife. Fig. 3 is a crosssection about centrally of screw It, said screw being shown in elevation.
The letter a indicates a metallic casing, toolstock, or handle, on which the other parts are mounted. The ends of this piece are rounded to afford a convenient ha nd-grasp,and the handle portions are hollowed out for lightness, and so as to readily receive the attachments hereinafter described. The knife or curved blade I) has a flange, b, which is held to the stock by screws 0 0, so as to be adjustable, as is usual in spoke and similar shaves. The cutting-edge is shown at b. The gage-block '13 has a portion, 1', which is near the edge of knife I), and serves as a gage to determine the thickness of out which the blade can make. This plate 2' has a flange, with a threaded hole therein,and a set-screw, h,passcs through the body of the stock and enters said hole. By turning screw it the gage may be set nearer to or farther from the edge b of the blade, thus determining the thickness of shaving. A guide-plate, d, is attached to the stock near one edge of the blade by screws ff, passing through slots in said plate. This guideplate is not a cutter, but a blunt blade to rest against the face of the leather of the sole. The gage 'i is adjustable over the face of the knife, and determines the exposed width of the cutting edge; The body of this gagej rests in a hollow in the stock, and is niortised for the passage of screws 11, which hold the gage-retaining plate on to the stock. Asetscrew, 7., suitably supported in the stock, passes through a threaded hole in the gage-body, and by turning screw it the gagej may be moved so as to expose a greater or less width of the cutter I). By this construction a convenient tool is made by which a shaving of regulated width and thickness can be trimmed from the edge of a shoe sole or heel.
\Vhat I. claim is An edge-plane consisting, essentially, of the tool-stock a, having rounded handles, the curved blade I), having a flange, b, which is adj ustably held to the stock by set-screws,the gage-block i, having a flange resting in a re cess in the stock and adjustable therein by a set-screw, the slotted guide-plate (Z, attached to the stock by set-screws passing through the slots, the gage y',adjustable over thcface of the knife by a set screw, and a clamping-plate and screws for retaining said gage, the parts be ing constructed, combined, and relatively arranged substantially as described.
In witness whereof I hereunto set myhand, this 19th day of October, 1887, at the city of Oakland, Alameda county, and State of California.
G. L. PIERCE, J. OALLAGHAN.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US393487A true US393487A (en)||1888-11-27|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US393487D Expired - Lifetime US393487A (en)||Edge-shave|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US393487A (en)|
- US US393487D patent/US393487A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US323804A (en)||Johist p|
|US221552A (en)||Improvement in turning-chisels|
|US205593A (en)||Improvement in heel-shaves for boots and shoes|
|US94317A (en)||Improved cue-leather trimmer|
|US249097A (en)||Henry p|
|US61384A (en)||Improved edge plane foe boots and shoes|
|US237907A (en)||Boot and shoe shave and bead-cutter|
|US215159A (en)||Improvement in edging-tools for leather-working|
|US351429A (en)||Ernest b|
|US135308A (en)||Improvement in shoemakers edge-planes|
|US649937A (en)||Shoemaker's plane.|
|US1129531A (en)||Veneer trimmer and gage.|
|US124246A (en)||Improvement in drawing-knives|
|US146036A (en)||Improvement in sole-edge trimmers|
|US254340A (en)||Edge-trimming tool|
|US157110A (en)||Improvement in heel-shaves|
|US143823A (en)||Improvement in implements for edge-trimming soles|
|US125578A (en)||Improvement in trimming guard-knives|
|US366724A (en)||Gage for drawing-knives|
|US184720A (en)||Improvement in edge planes and shaves|