US380070A - Feank - Google PatentsFeank Download PDF
- Publication number
- US380070A US380070A US380070DA US380070A US 380070 A US380070 A US 380070A US 380070D A US380070D A US 380070DA US 380070 A US380070 A US 380070A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 101700037217 FICD Proteins 0.000 description 1
- 238000010276 construction Methods 0.000 description 1
- 230000001808 coupling Effects 0.000 description 1
- 238000010168 coupling process Methods 0.000 description 1
- 238000005859 coupling reaction Methods 0.000 description 1
- 238000006073 displacement reaction Methods 0.000 description 1
- 230000003028 elevating Effects 0.000 description 1
- 230000000153 supplemental Effects 0.000 description 1
- B—PERFORMING OPERATIONS; TRANSPORTING
- B61G—COUPLINGS; DRAUGHT AND BUFFING APPLIANCES
- B61G7/00—Details or accessories
- B61G7/10—Mounting of the couplings on the vehicle
(No Madel.) I
No. 380,070. Pat nted-Mar. 2-7, 1888.
liy/ I I WITNESSES: E INVENTOR:
' =$w 7 M I BY Tina Phuln-umo n hcr, Washington, 04 c.
UNITED STATES PATENT O FIC 1 FRANK. B. WINELAND, OF BRECKENRIDGE, COLORADO.
SPECIFICATION forming part of Letters Patent No. 380,070, dated March 27, 1888.
. Application filed December 20, 1887. Serial No. 258,432. (No model.)
.To all whom it may concern.-
Be it known that I, FRANK. B. WINELAND, of Breckenridge, in the county of Summit and State of Colorado, have invented a new and Improved Gar-Coupler, of which the following is a full, clear, and exact description.
This invention relates to car-couplers, the object of the invention being to provide a coupler by which the link may be held in a proper position to couple cars of varying height, and wherein the pin may be held in a raised position, so that it will couple automatically with an entering link, all aswill be hereinafter more fully described, and specifically pointed out in the claims.
Reference is to be had to the accompanying drawings, forming a part of this specification, in which similar figures of reference indicate corresponding parts in all the views.
Figure 1 is an end view of a portion of a carbody, representing the same as it appears when provided with my improved coupler. Fig. 2 is a central longitudinal sectional view of my improved form of coupler, representing the parts as they appear when in the coupled position; and Fig. 3 is a similar view, the parts, however, being represented as. they appear whenthe pin is upheld to couple with an entering link.
In constructing a coupler such as the one shown in the drawings above referred to, I provide a draw-bar, 10, of which the drawhead 11 is formed with a recess, ,12, and with a lateral flange, 13, in advance of the main recess 14.. Within the recess 14 I mount a tongue,
15,: formed with an inclined face, 16, and rigidly connected to a transverse shaft, 17, said shaft being journaled in. bearings formed in the draw-head, andextending outward from either side of the draw-head to points beyond the sides of the car, at which points the shaft isprovided with levers 18,as illustrated, guards 19 being secured to the ends of the car-body, as shown. To the upper side of the draw-head 11 I hinge a forwardly-extending arm, 20, in the end of which there is formed a slot, 2, and through this slot I pass the coupling-pin 21, which pin is provided with a transverse bolt or pin, 22, which prevents the accidental loss or displacement of the pin.
Such being the general construction of my improved form of coupler, the operation is as follows: When a car provided with my coupler is to be coupled with a car having an elevated draw-head, the levers 18. are turned so as to throw the tongue 15 downward to a position such that its curved face 16 will bear against the inner end of the coupling-link 23, thus elevating the outer end of said link to a position such that it will enter the elevated draw-head; but if the car is to be coupled with another car having a lower draw-head, the tongue 15 is permitted to rise, and the extending end of the link will consequently drop, the transverse rib or flange 13 acting at this time as the fulcrum upon which the link turns.
In order to set the pin to a position to couple with the link of an approaching car, the levers 18 are turned back and the tongue 15 is raised until it strikes against the arm 20, which arm will consequently be raised to carry the pin upward to the position shown in dotted lines in Fig. 2; then, as the cars come together and the link 23 of the approaching 'car enters the draw-head 11, the lever 18 is thrown forward and the pin 21 allowed to drop, passing at this time through the opening in the link 23.
Having thus described myinvention, I claim as new and desire to secure by Letters Patent- 1. The combination, with the draw-head 11, provided with the main recess 14 and the supplemental recess 12, of the tongue 15, mounted in the recess 14, the shaft 17, to which the tongue is connected, the arm 20, hinged to the upper face of the draw-head, the coupling-pin 21, carried by said arm 20, and the operatinglevers carried by shaft 17 substantially as described.
2. The combination, with a draw-bar formed with the recesses 12 14., and having the tongue 15, mounted therein on a transverse shaft passing through the draw-bar, said shaft carrying operating-levers, of the arm 20, hinged to the upper face of the draw-bar and adapted to carry the coupling-pin at the front end thereof,- as shown, and the stop-pin 22 at the lower end of the coupling-pin, substantially as and for the purpose described.
. FRANK. B. WINELAND.
. H. H. ELLWoon,
J NO. MONAMARA.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US380070A true US380070A (en)||1888-03-27|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US380070D Expired - Lifetime US380070A (en)||Feank|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US380070A (en)|
- US US380070D patent/US380070A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US369502A (en)||Oak coupling|
|US352264A (en)||Maek m|
|US158975A (en)||Improvement in car-couplings|
|US192710A (en)||Improvement in car-couplings|
|US325114A (en)||Ux eansom|
|US207068A (en)||Improvement in car-couplings|
|US162774A (en)||Improvement in car-couplings|
|US300292A (en)||John waed|
|US410755A (en)||Etienne ghirardi|