US373648A - Portable elevator - Google PatentsPortable elevator Download PDF
- Publication number
- US373648A US373648A US373648DA US373648A US 373648 A US373648 A US 373648A US 373648D A US373648D A US 373648DA US 373648 A US373648 A US 373648A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- portable elevator
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 239000002184 metal Substances 0.000 description 2
- 210000001503 Joints Anatomy 0.000 description 1
- 238000010276 construction Methods 0.000 description 1
- 230000000875 corresponding Effects 0.000 description 1
- 239000002965 rope Substances 0.000 description 1
- B—PERFORMING OPERATIONS; TRANSPORTING
- B66—HOISTING; LIFTING; HAULING
- B66B—ELEVATORS; ESCALATORS OR MOVING WALKWAYS
- B66B9/00—Kinds or types of lifts in, or associated with, buildings or other structures
- B66B9/16—Mobile or transportable lifts specially adapted to be shifted from one part of a building or other structure to another part or to another building or structure
- B66B9/187—Mobile or transportable lifts specially adapted to be shifted from one part of a building or other structure to another part or to another building or structure with a liftway specially adapted for temporary connection to a building or other structure
S. O. DERBY.
No. 373,648. Patented Nov. 2-2, 1887.
625W BY Jim (*Q I ATTORNEYS.
UNITED STATES PATENT ()FFICE,
SAMUEL c. DERBY, OF ASHLEY, MICHIGAN.
SPECIFICATION forming part of Letters Patent No. 373,648, dated November 22, 1887.
Application filed June 20, 1887. Serial No. 241,889. (No model.)
T0 to whom it may concern-.-
Be it known that I, SAMUEL (J. DERBY, of Ashley, in the county of Gratiot and State of Michigan, have invented a new and Improved Portable Elevator, of which the following is a full, clear, and exact description.
My invention has for its object to provide an improved portable elevator for use in lieu of the ordinary ladder, the construction being such that it can be as easily set up or folded as a ladder, while possessing a much greater carrying capacity, and it is simple, strong, and convenient to operate.
The invention consists in certain novel features ofconstruction and combinations ofparts, as hereinafter fully describethand particularly pointed out in the claim.
Reference is to be had to the accompanying drawings, forming a part of this specification, in which similar letters of reference indicate corresponding parts in both the figures.
Figure l is a side elevation of my improved portable elevator set up for use. Fig. 2 is a front elevation of the same.
A designates the main or guide frame of the portable elevator,composed of the parallel side beams, B B, braced at the top and bottom by crossstruts O and tie-rods D, and at the middle of their length by a cross strut,O, arranged to the rear of the forward edges of the beams B B.
E designates the rear supporting frame, hinged to the main frame A by hook-and-eye joints F, so that it can be folded flat thereupon or detached from the same when not required for use.
To the forward edges of the side beams, B B, of the frame A are riveted, or otherwise secured, metal strips G, on which, as ways, slide the parallel side pieces, H H, of the elevatorcar I, also provided with metal strips G, which ride easily on those on the frame A. Keepers J are secured to the side pieces, II H, of the car, slide on the outer faces of the side beams, B B, and are bent inwardat right angles to embrace the same, so as to hold and guide the car in its movement on the frame A. The side pieces of the car are extended forwardly at their lower parts to form brackets K, which rigidly support a platform, L, on which the user or users stand. The platform L projects rearward between the side beams, B B, ofthe frame A, and is adapted to strike the lower crossstrut, O, which thus acts as a stop to limit the fall of the car I.
Between the upperparts of the side pieces, H H, of the car is also fixed a shelf or table, M, on which the various appliances of the user may be placed, and thus be within convenient reach of him; and the car is further provided with a back, N, extending between the side pieces, the lower platform, and the upper shelf, to more safely hold the user and his tools or appliances on the car.
Between and in the upper ends of the side pieces, H H, isjournaled a horizontal roller, 0, on which is wound a .rope, P, attached thereto, running over a second stationary roller, Q, journaled in and between the upper parts of the side beams of the frame A, and thence down to the upper end of the car I, to which it is attached.
Acrankarm, R, is fixed to thejournal ofthe movable roller 0, projecting through the side piece H, so that said roller may be turned by the user on the car to adjust himself therewith to any desired height.
A pawl, S, is pivoted by an eye-joint to one end of the top shelf, M, and is adapted to engage a ratchet-wheel, T, on one end of the roller 0 on the car, to hold the same at the desired height.
Having thus described my invention, what I claim as new, and desire to secure by Letters Patent, is
In a portable elevator, the combination, with the guide-frame having parallel side beams and a car mounted to slide thereon, of a stop on the lower part of the guide-frame, and a part on the car projecting between the side beams and adapted to strike said stop, substantially as shown' and described.
SAMUEL O. DERBY.
DIXI G. HALL, NETTIE OoMsrooK.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US373648A true US373648A (en)||1887-11-22|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US373648D Expired - Lifetime US373648A (en)||Portable elevator|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US373648A (en)|
- US US373648D patent/US373648A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US373648A (en)||Portable elevator|
|US303551A (en)||Eollin ii|
|US826862A (en)||Foot-rest for vehicles.|
|US664933A (en)||Swinging chair or hammock.|
|US581652A (en)||Portable fire-escape|
|US1205684A (en)||Supporting means for inclined ladders.|
|US266792A (en)||Attachment for raising and lowering desks|
|US473852A (en)||Extensible ladder|
|US639661A (en)||Adjustable desk.|
|US497131A (en)||Ladder and truck|