US281748A - Shutter-worker - Google PatentsShutter-worker Download PDF
- Publication number
- US281748A US281748A US281748DA US281748A US 281748 A US281748 A US 281748A US 281748D A US281748D A US 281748DA US 281748 A US281748 A US 281748A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 230000000875 corresponding Effects 0.000 description 2
- 238000006073 displacement reaction Methods 0.000 description 2
- E—FIXED CONSTRUCTIONS
- E05—LOCKS; KEYS; WINDOW OR DOOR FITTINGS; SAFES
- E05F—DEVICES FOR MOVING WINGS INTO OPEN OR CLOSED POSITION; CHECKS FOR WINGS; WING FITTINGS NOT OTHERWISE PROVIDED FOR, CONCERNED WITH THE FUNCTIONING OF THE WING
- E05F11/00—Man-operated mechanisms for operating wings, including those which also operate the fastening
- E05F11/02—Man-operated mechanisms for operating wings, including those which also operate the fastening for wings in general, e.g. fanlights
- E05F11/08—Man-operated mechanisms for operating wings, including those which also operate the fastening for wings in general, e.g. fanlights with longitudinally-moving bars guided, e.g. by pivoted links, in or on the frame
- E05F11/12—Mechanisms by which the bar shifts the wing
- E05F11/14—Mechanisms by which the bar shifts the wing directly, i.e. without links, shifting the wing, e.g. by rack and gear or pin and slot
SHUTTER WORKER. N0. 281,748. Patented July 24, 1883.
Fj- J WITNESSES fix. cowm UNITED STATES PATENT OFF CE.
AMBROSE C. WYOKOFF, OF DAN'VILLE, VIRGINIA.
SPECIFICATION forming part of Letters Patent No. 281,748, dated July 24, 1883.
' Application filed May 26, 1883. (No model.)
To all whom it may concern Be it knownthat I, A. CORNELIUS WYCKOFF, a citizen of the United States, residing at Danville, in the county of Pittsylvania and State of Virginia, have invented a new and useful Blind and Shutter Worker, of which the following is a specification, reference being had to the accompanying drawings.
This invention relates to blind and shutter workers; and its object is to provide a simple,
inexpensive, and efficient device that can be operated to open and close the window-shutter without raising the sash, and which at the same time can only be opened from the inside.
In the drawings, Figure 1 is a plan view of my improved shutter-worker. Fig. 2 is a side view of the same. Fig. 3 is a transverse sectional view taken through the pivot of the operating-arm. Fig. 4 is a vertical sectional view taken through the operating-shaft, and showing the device in position in the window-frame. Fig. 5 is a detail sectional view taken transversely through the bottom end of one of the I shutters.
Referring to the drawings, A designates a base-plate, at one end of which projects aperpendicular pin or post, B, that forms apivotal bearing, 0, for the horizontally-swinging operating-arm D, which latter comprises a pivotal portion having a semicircular edge, E, provided with transverse teeth or projections F and a main arm portion, G, as shown.
In the rear edge of the base-plate A are provided bearings H for an operating-rod, I, which is provided with a hand-wheel or crank, J, at its inner end, and carries at its outer end a disk, K, that works down in a slot, L, in the base-plate, and has its periphery formed with a series of screw-threads, M, which mesh with the teeth on the arm D. WVhen the shaft I is rotated the screw-threaded disk K on the same will serve to swing the arm D on its pivot to operate the shutter as desired.
N designates a top plate which is placed on the base-plate A, and is secured in position by the pivot-pin B and by a pin or screw, 0, at the other end of the base-plate. This top plate serves to retain the shaft I in its bearings, and to also retain the arm D from vertical displacement at its pivot. The outer end of the arm D is provided with projecting T pin or projection, which slides in a corresponding guideplate, P, that is longitudinally disposed in the under edge of the shutter, which latter is des ignated by the letter Q.
The operation and advantages of my inven tion will be readily understood. It is very simple, inexpensive, and efficient. In placing the device in position the base-plate is embedded in the sill R at the outside of the window-cas- 6o ing until it is on a level therewith, while the body of the device is set in the shoulder S, against which the shutter is adapted to come, and the operatingshaft I will extend through a perforation, T, in the sill of the window and will project from the inner face thereof. The shutter Q is also provided with a recess, U, in its under edge, to accommodate the device when the shutter is closed against the shoulder S, by means of which arrangement the device can be operated only from the inside and can not be tampered with from the outside.
I claim as my invention- As an improvement in shutter-workers, the combination of the base-plate A, having the vertical pin B at one end, the bearings H at its rear edge, and the slot L in front of the bearings, the operating-arm D comprising the integral flat portion pivoted on pin B, and having a semicircular toothed edge, E, and amain 8o arm portion, G, the operating-rod I working in the bearings H and carrying the screwthreaded disk K, that meshes with the teeth on the main pivotal portion .of the arm D and works down in the slot L, and the top piece or 8 5 plate, N, secured against plate A by a pin, 0,
at one end of the latter, and by the pivot-pin B at the other end, and serving to clamp the arm D in position against the plate and retaining the rod I in its bearings, as and for the purpose set forth.
In testimony that I claim the foregoing as my own I have hereto affixed my signature in presence of two witnesses.
AMBROSE CORNELIUS WYOKOFF.
CHARLES FRIEND, W. J. DANCE, Jr.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US281748A true US281748A (en)||1883-07-24|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US281748D Expired - Lifetime US281748A (en)||Shutter-worker|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US281748A (en)|
- US US281748D patent/US281748A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US1196443A (en)||Extension-window-screen locker.|
|US557408A (en)||Storm-sash fastener|
|US1559896A (en)||Window adjuster and lock|
|US214126A (en)||Improvement in shutter-fastenings|
|US136681A (en)||Improvement in sash-holders|
|US56592A (en)||Improvement in sash-fastenings|
|US189040A (en)||Improvement in sash-holders|
|US298860A (en)||Blind-slat operator|
|US828349A (en)||Combined sash and shutter lock.|
|US210591A (en)||Improvement in window-blinds|