US271309A - William h - Google PatentsWilliam h Download PDF
- Publication number
- US271309A US271309A US271309DA US271309A US 271309 A US271309 A US 271309A US 271309D A US271309D A US 271309DA US 271309 A US271309 A US 271309A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 210000000282 Nails Anatomy 0.000 description 4
- 239000011514 iron Substances 0.000 description 4
- 229910052742 iron Inorganic materials 0.000 description 4
- 230000036633 rest Effects 0.000 description 2
- E—FIXED CONSTRUCTIONS
- E04B—GENERAL BUILDING CONSTRUCTIONS; WALLS, e.g. PARTITIONS; ROOFS; FLOORS; CEILINGS; INSULATION OR OTHER PROTECTION OF BUILDINGS
- E04B9/00—Ceilings; Construction of ceilings, e.g. false ceilings; Ceiling construction with regard to insulation
- E04B9/22—Connection of slabs, panels, sheets or the like to the supporting construction
- E04B9/24—Connection of slabs, panels, sheets or the like to the supporting construction with the slabs, panels, sheets or the like positioned on the upperside of, or held against the underside of the horizontal flanges of the supporting construction or accessory means connected thereto
- Y—GENERAL TAGGING OF NEW TECHNOLOGICAL DEVELOPMENTS; GENERAL TAGGING OF CROSS-SECTIONAL TECHNOLOGIES SPANNING OVER SEVERAL SECTIONS OF THE IPC; TECHNICAL SUBJECTS COVERED BY FORMER USPC CROSS-REFERENCE ART COLLECTIONS [XRACs] AND DIGESTS
- Y10—TECHNICAL SUBJECTS COVERED BY FORMER USPC
- Y10T—TECHNICAL SUBJECTS COVERED BY FORMER US CLASSIFICATION
- Y10T403/00—Joints and connections
- Y10T403/71—Rod side to plate or side
- Y10T403/7117—Flanged or grooved rod
' W. H. BROWN.
LATHING AND P URRING.
No. 271,309. Patented Jan.,30,1883.
rNITED STATES innen.
PATENT WILLIAM H. BROl/VN, OF INDIANAPOLIS, INDIANA, ASSIGNOR rIO HAUGH, KETOHAM OO., OF SAME PLACE.
LATHING AND FURRING.
SPECIFICATIONforming part of Letters Patent No. 271,309, dated January 30, 1883. Application filed June 23, 1882. (No model.)
1`o all whom it may concern Be it known that I, WILLIAM H. BROWN, oi the city ot Indianapolis, county of Marion, and Stateofindiana,haveinvented certain new and useful Improvements in Lathing and Furring, of which the following is a specification.
My. said invention consists in attaching T shaped furring to the ordinary Ishaped flooring-beams of buildings by means of clips which engage with the iianges ot' said furring by means of a strap which passes under said clip and rests upon the lower ange of the I-beam, and a wedge, screw, or some other fastening device, by which the whole may be tightened up and made secure. v
It further consists in attaching the lathing to the furiing by cutting a transverse slot through the corrugations thereof, slipping said slot onto the lower edge of the furl-ing, and inserting nails through holes in said furring beneath the upper corrugations.
Referring to the accompanying drawings, which are made a part hereof, and on which similar lettersy of reference indicate similar parts, Figure l is a section through a portion of a iire-proof lioor, the under side whereof is covered by a system ot' lathing embodying my invention; Fig. 2, a similar section, on an enlarged scale, of that portion near the base ot' one ofthe :[beams only; and Fig. 3, a'seclion taken transversely ot' the last.
In said drawings, the portions marked A representthe I-beams or floor-beams of a building; B, the Tshaped furring; O, the clips; D, the straps, E, the wedges; F,thelathing; G, the pins or nails for securing the same to the furring, and H the plastering.
The I-beams A are the ordinary iron floorbeams used in lire-proof buildings, and are shown in Fig. l as having the masonry arch between them which is commonly employed in oors of this character.
The furring B is composed of light T-shaped iron beams, which are provided with numerous small holes in theirlower edges, through which to insert the nails or pins Gr. They are placed transversely of the beams A, and are secured thereto by my improved fastening devices.
'Ihe clips C are straps of iron bentn around in the form best shown in Fig. 3, so that the points thereof shall engage under the flanges ofthe beams B, and the loop portion shall eX- tend above the feet ofthe beams A.
The straps Dare straight or slightly-bent pieces ot iron, which are inserted through the clips O, and one end of each ot' which rests upon the feet or lower flanges ofthe beams A.
The wedges E are adapted to be driven under the outer ends of the straps D, between them and the top surfaces of the beams B,and 6o thus draw said straps,the clips, and said beams tightly up to the positions desired andV hold them there securely. Instead of the wedge E,
a screw, E', might be employed for.. this purpose; or the end of the strap might be turned over and act as the wedge; but I prefer the wedgeas beingmoresimple, less expensive,and more easily handled than the other devices.
The lathing F is simply the ordinary corrugated pert'orated sheetiron lathing in common 7o use, except that a slot,f, (see Fig. 3,) is cut across the corrugations, about halt through from the top to the bottom of the same, into which the lower flange ofthe furring-beam B may enter.
' The-pins G may be any small pins, nails, or wire which will enter the holes in the lower edgeot'the beamBandholdthelathingthereto.
It will be readily seen that my improved fastening can be applied to any portion of the structure desired, as it will (when loose) freely slip in one direction on the beams A and in the lother on the beams B, and be rigidly securedin any position at will. Themethod ot' securing the lathing is also simple, inexpensive, and easily practiced.
In so far as the furl-ing and the method ot' fastening thelathing thereto are concerned, my invention is applicable to walls as well as ceilings. The furring can be secured to the walls in any suitable manner, and the lathing can be secured to the furring in the saine way as that which has'been described.
Having thus fully described my said invention, what I claim as new, and desire to secure by Letters Patent, is
1. The combination, with the lioorzbeains of a building and i'nrring consisting of light T- beams, ot' alfastening for securingthem together, consisting of a clip, a stra-p, and a wedge or its equivalent, substantially as set forth.
2. The combination, with the furring B, of
the lathing F and the piu G, said lathingbel In witness whereof I have hereunto sel; my ing slotted across its corrugations to admit; the hand and seal, at; Indianapolis, Indiana, this lower edge ofthe furring, and said furring be- 20th day of June, A. D. 1882. ing provided with holes to admit said pins, 5 substantially as set forth. Y WILLIAM H. BROWN. [L s] 3. The combination of the floor-beams A, ful'- I ring B, clips C, straps D, Wedges or equiva- In presence oflent; parts E, lathing F, and pins G, substan- C. BRADFORD,
tially as described, and for the purposes speoi- E. W. BRADFORD.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US271309A true US271309A (en)||1883-01-30|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US271309D Expired - Lifetime US271309A (en)||William h|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US271309A (en)|
- US US271309D patent/US271309A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US271309A (en)||William h|
|US1133138A (en)||Partition construction.|
|US1807315A (en)||Concrete form for floors|
|US459051A (en)||Iron roof or other structure|
|US1693949A (en)||Support for nailing strips and the like|
|US850662A (en)||Bracket for supporting scaffolding and the like.|
|US555981A (en)||Building construction|
|US837793A (en)||Bridge-floor fastener.|
|US830494A (en)||Building construction.|
|US689420A (en)||Hanger apparatus.|
|US545873A (en)||William h|
|US573158A (en)||Metallic furring for buildings|
|US1595222A (en)||Auxiliary reenforcement for reenforced concrete construction|
|US1862728A (en)||Building structure|
|US1187918A (en)||Fastening device for plaster-board and the like.|
|US443657A (en)||Anchoring beams to walls and truss and girder beams|
|US306705A (en)||Means for securing wire lathing to girders|
|US1698607A (en)||Support for scaffolds and the like|
|US824363A (en)||Fireproof floor construction.|
|US1798380A (en)||Roof construction|
|US1616444A (en)||Building construction|
|US669801A (en)||Fireproof flooring.|
|US1561187A (en)||Means for the construction of reenforced-cement floors|