US257910A - weddel - Google Patentsweddel Download PDF
- Publication number
- US257910A US257910A US257910DA US257910A US 257910 A US257910 A US 257910A US 257910D A US257910D A US 257910DA US 257910 A US257910 A US 257910A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 238000010276 construction Methods 0.000 description 2
- 239000002184 metal Substances 0.000 description 2
- E—FIXED CONSTRUCTIONS
- E05—LOCKS; KEYS; WINDOW OR DOOR FITTINGS; SAFES
- E05F—DEVICES FOR MOVING WINGS INTO OPEN OR CLOSED POSITION; CHECKS FOR WINGS; WING FITTINGS NOT OTHERWISE PROVIDED FOR, CONCERNED WITH THE FUNCTIONING OF THE WING
- E05F1/00—Closers or openers for wings, not otherwise provided for in this subclass
- E05F1/08—Closers or openers for wings, not otherwise provided for in this subclass spring-actuated, e.g. for horizontally sliding wings
- E05F1/10—Closers or openers for wings, not otherwise provided for in this subclass spring-actuated, e.g. for horizontally sliding wings for swinging wings, e.g. counterbalance
- E05F1/1041—Closers or openers for wings, not otherwise provided for in this subclass spring-actuated, e.g. for horizontally sliding wings for swinging wings, e.g. counterbalance with a coil spring perpendicular to the pivot axis
- E05F1/1066—Closers or openers for wings, not otherwise provided for in this subclass spring-actuated, e.g. for horizontally sliding wings for swinging wings, e.g. counterbalance with a coil spring perpendicular to the pivot axis with a traction spring
- Y—GENERAL TAGGING OF NEW TECHNOLOGICAL DEVELOPMENTS; GENERAL TAGGING OF CROSS-SECTIONAL TECHNOLOGIES SPANNING OVER SEVERAL SECTIONS OF THE IPC; TECHNICAL SUBJECTS COVERED BY FORMER USPC CROSS-REFERENCE ART COLLECTIONS [XRACs] AND DIGESTS
- Y10—TECHNICAL SUBJECTS COVERED BY FORMER USPC
- Y10T—TECHNICAL SUBJECTS COVERED BY FORMER US CLASSIFICATION
- Y10T16/00—Miscellaneous hardware [e.g., bushing, carpet fastener, caster, door closer, panel hanger, attachable or adjunct handle, hinge, window sash balance, etc.]
- Y10T16/585—Spring and lever
J. W. WEDDEL.
I DOOR SPRING. N0.257,910. Patented May 16, 1882,,-
WITNESSES UNITED STATES PATENT OFFICE.
OF FREEPOBT, ILLINOIS, assienon on ONE-HALF. TO
P. S. KAHLEY, OF SAME PLACE.
. I SPECIFICATION forming part of Letters Patent No. 257,910, dated May 16, 1882. 7
Application filed October 10, 1881. (No model.)
To all whom it may concern:
Be it known that I, J. W. WEDDEL, a citizen of the United States, resident at Freeport,
'in the county of Stephenson and State of Illinois, have invented a new and valuable Improvement in Door-Springs; and I do hereby declare that the following is a full, clear, and exact description of the construction and operation of the same, reference being had to the annexed drawings, making a part of this specification, and to the letters and figures of reference marked thereon.
Figure 1 of the drawings is a representation of a horizontal section, showing the door closed. Fig. 2 is a similar view, showing the door open; and Fig. 3 is a detail view of the chord-plate.
This invention has relation to door-sprin gs;
and it consists in the novel construction and arrangement, in connection with the door and door-frame, of a slotted and laterally-perforated chord-plate, a metallic arch-bar connected therewith, spiral springs, and intersecting levers for holding the door either in an open or closed position, as will be hereinafter fully described, and pointed out in the claim.
Referring by letter to the accompanying drawings, A designates the door-frame, and B the door. Intersecting levers G and D, the
latter being shorterthan the former, are hinged at their bases, respectively, to the door-frame and to the door, as shown. A common pivot the intersecting levers and the ends of the chord-plate, in which the ends of the metal arch F are seated. In the ,present instance I slot the shorter lever D at about the pivoted or intersecting point, and pass the arm of the other lever therethrough prior to inserting the pivot-bar I. It is obvious, however, that the levers and chord-plate may be pivoted without slotting either of the levers, after the manner of shears or the like.
In operation the door will be closed by the spring at all times when the door is not moved back in opening it beyond the line of the hinges J K. When exactly on a line with said hinges the door will remain stationary. When moved back of the aforesaid line the door will be pulled back and held open by the spring. The device is cheap, simple, and effectual for the purpose for which it is intended.
Having thus fully described my invention, what I claim as new, and desire to secure by Letters Patent, is-- In a door-spring, the combination, with the door-frame and door, of the hinged intersecting levers G D and the chord-plate E, united by a common pivot, I, and the metal arch F, passing through the perforated ends of the levers O D, and the spiral springs Gr, substantially as and for the purposes specified.
In testimony that I claim the above I have hereunto subscribed my name in the presence of two witnesses.
JOHN W. WVEDDEL.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US257910A true US257910A (en)||1882-05-16|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US257910D Expired - Lifetime US257910A (en)||weddel|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US257910A (en)|
- US US257910D patent/US257910A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US313457A (en)||Samuel tubek|
|US726577A (en)||Separable hinge.|
|US188402A (en)||Improvement in spring-hinges|
|US573395A (en)||Combined door closer and stop|
|US253982A (en)||John p|
|US898865A (en)||Door opener and closer.|
|US872309A (en)||Door and cupboard catch.|
|US578084A (en)||John fannon lash|
|US90504A (en)||Improved hinge and spring combined|
|US852091A (en)||Door spring and stop.|