US242988A - Sash-fastener - Google PatentsSash-fastener Download PDF
- Publication number
- US242988A US242988A US242988DA US242988A US 242988 A US242988 A US 242988A US 242988D A US242988D A US 242988DA US 242988 A US242988 A US 242988A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 239000000789 fastener Substances 0.000 title 1
- 241000271229 Juncus parryi Species 0.000 description 1
- 238000010276 construction Methods 0.000 description 1
- 230000000994 depressed Effects 0.000 description 1
- 230000005484 gravity Effects 0.000 description 1
- 230000002452 interceptive Effects 0.000 description 1
- E—FIXED CONSTRUCTIONS
- E05—LOCKS; KEYS; WINDOW OR DOOR FITTINGS; SAFES
- E05C—BOLTS OR FASTENING DEVICES FOR WINGS, SPECIALLY FOR DOORS OR WINDOWS
- E05C3/00—Fastening devices with bolts moving pivotally or rotatively
- E05C3/12—Fastening devices with bolts moving pivotally or rotatively with latching action
- E05C3/124—Fastening devices with bolts moving pivotally or rotatively with latching action with latch under compression force between its pivot and the striker
- Y—GENERAL TAGGING OF NEW TECHNOLOGICAL DEVELOPMENTS; GENERAL TAGGING OF CROSS-SECTIONAL TECHNOLOGIES SPANNING OVER SEVERAL SECTIONS OF THE IPC; TECHNICAL SUBJECTS COVERED BY FORMER USPC CROSS-REFERENCE ART COLLECTIONS [XRACs] AND DIGESTS
- Y10—TECHNICAL SUBJECTS COVERED BY FORMER USPC
- Y10T—TECHNICAL SUBJECTS COVERED BY FORMER US CLASSIFICATION
- Y10T292/00—Closure fasteners
- Y10T292/1051—Spring projected
- Y10T292/1052—Operating means
S. P. RUSH. Sash Fastener.v
No. 242,988. Patented June `14, 188|.
lr/'g-l' v el f i Il l l VENTOR JC? M ATTORNEYS.
5 WITNE sns: @MW
N. PETERS. Phnm-Limagnpher. wnshi C,
UNITED STATES PATENT OFFICE.
STEPHEN P. RUSH, OF TYRONE, PENNSYLVANIA.
SPECIFICATION forming part of Letters Patent No. 242,988, dated June 14, 1881.
Application tiled April 28, 1881. (Model.)
To all whom it may concern:
Be it known that I, STEPHEN P. RUSH, of Tyrone, in the county of Blair and State of Pennsylvania, have invented a new and useful Improveuientin Sash-Locks; and I do hereby declare that the following is a full, clear, and exact description of the saine, reference being had to the accompanying drawings, forming part of this specitication, in which- Figure 1 is a sectional elevation. Fig. 2 is a section on line xx, Fig. l; Figs.3, 4, and 5, detail views.
My invention relates to improvements in sash-locks, and it consists in the peculiar construction and arrangement of parts, whereby the lower sash is locked when down and the upper sash locked when raised by the movements up and down of the sashes; or either sash may be locked in a partially raised or lowered position, as hereinafter more fully set forth.
In the accompanying drawings, A represen ts a window-frame, provided in the inner face of one of its sides with an angular recess in the path of the sliding sash, for the reception of the sash-lock. A
a represents a plateforming the back of the sash-lock, having side dan ges, b b, one of which h is provided with a notch, c, for the passage of an arm, d, of a bell-crank lever, B, pivoted to the back and face plates of the sash-lock. The outer end of the arm d of the bell-crank is enlarged and projects outwardly, forming a projection, e.
h represents the longer arm of the bell-crank lever, provided at its outer end with a bolt, i, oblong preferably in cross-section and at right angles to the arm It of the bell-crank lever. The bolt t projectsthrough a curved slot, m, in a plate, g, provided preferably with end anges, whichplate g forms the face-plate of the lock. The face and back plates, g af, of the i sash-lock are provided with screw-holes, registering with each other, for the passage of screws passing through both plates, and thence into 'the face of the recess in the window-frame, whereby the parts are secured together in said recess; or the parts may be secured together otherwise by suitable means. The back-plate 5o a of the sash-lock is also provided with a stud, lf, secured to its upper face, io which one end of a spring, l, is secured, the opposite endV of the spring Z bearing against the longer arm h of the bell-crank lever.
n represents one of the strips for securing the lower sash in place, removably'secured to the inner face ofthe window-frame, and provided with a recess or notch, o, in its inner edge for the bolt t' when the latter is moved out of engagement with a notch, t, in the lower 6o sash, as hereinafter described.
An opening, g, extending through the strip n, is made in front of the projection e on the arm d of the bell-crank lever, and a recess is made in the face of the strip surrounding the opening g, for the reception of a rectangular plate, r, bolted in the recess and ush with the face of the strip, and provided with lugs projecting inwardly into the opening q in the strip, to which lugs is journaled by a cross- 7o bolt a tiltinglever, s, made preferably pointed at its upper end, so that it will be heavier at its lower end, and so hung by lugs on its rear side, pivoted by a cross-bolt to the lugs on the plate r, that the lever, after operating the bellcrank, will resume its position by gravity flush with the plate r and strip n. i
The vertical side p of the lower sash, A, adjacent to the sash-lock and strip above described, is beveled at its lower end, so that 8o the bolt will ride up the bevel in the descent of the lower sash, and is provided with the locking-notches t t, the upper notch receiving the bolt and holding the lower sash locked when down, and the other notch holding the window when partly raised.
The operation of the invention is as follows: The lower sash being supposed down and locked, and it being desired to raise that sash, the pointed end of the tilting-lever is depressed and brought against the projection on the end ofthe shorter arm of the bell-crank lever, and the bolt is drawn back against the tension of the spring, so as to occupy the recess in the inner edge of the strip, when the window may be raised as desired. By letting go the tiltinglever it falls iiush with its plate andthe strip, and the spring forces the bolt into any one of the locking-notches.
My improved sash-lock can be applied to IOO balanced sashes hung with weights in boX-. frames, the oblong bolt operating against the face of the sash and not interfering with the sash-cords. It may also be applied to ordinary Window-sashes, which can readily be notched to hold the sash at any desired height.
Similar locking devices to those above described may be applied to the upper sash.
What I claim as my invention is- 1. The combination, with the look-plates a g, spring l, and bell-crank lever B, provided with bolt and projection e, ofthe strip n, provided with the bolt-recess o and opening q, and lever s, substantially as described, and for the purpose set forth.
2. The combination, with a sash-lock constructed as set forth, of a strip, fn, provided 15 With a bolt-recess, o, and opening q, lever s, and a notched sash, substantially as described, and for the purpose set forth.
STEPHEN P. RUSH.
FRANK GUYOR, J. J. GALDERWOOD.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US242988A true US242988A (en)||1881-06-14|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US242988D Expired - Lifetime US242988A (en)||Sash-fastener|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US242988A (en)|
- US US242988D patent/US242988A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US362152A (en)||Fastener for meeting-rails of sashes|
|US111995A (en)||Improvement in sash-holders|
|US471363A (en)||Fastener for the meeting-rails of sashes|
|US423217A (en)||Fastener for the meeting-rails of sashes|
|US383886A (en)||Fastener for m eeti ng- rai ls of sashes|
|US419891A (en)||Fastener for the meeting-rails of sashes|
|US195223A (en)||Improvement in fasteners for meeting-rails of sashes|
|US419374A (en)||Niels georg sorensen|
|US398889A (en)||Fastener for the meeting-rails of sashes|
|US192896A (en)||Improvement in fasteners for meeting-rails of sashes|
|US344722A (en)||John k|
|US319887A (en)||Fastening for m eeting-rai ls of sashes|
|US125320A (en)||Improvement in sash-holders|
|US199916A (en)||Improvement in sash-fasteners|
|US946141A (en)||Window-sash fastener.|
|US581778A (en)||Window-sash lock|
|US197552A (en)||Improvement in sash-holders|