US218922A - Improvement in water-governors for boilers - Google PatentsImprovement in water-governors for boilers Download PDF
- Publication number
- US218922A US218922A US218922DA US218922A US 218922 A US218922 A US 218922A US 218922D A US218922D A US 218922DA US 218922 A US218922 A US 218922A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 238000010276 construction Methods 0.000 description 2
- 240000003670 Sesamum indicum Species 0.000 description 1
- 230000000875 corresponding Effects 0.000 description 1
- 238000005086 pumping Methods 0.000 description 1
- 230000001105 regulatory Effects 0.000 description 1
- 230000000630 rising Effects 0.000 description 1
- E—FIXED CONSTRUCTIONS
- E03—WATER SUPPLY; SEWERAGE
- E03F—SEWERS; CESSPOOLS
- E03F5/00—Sewerage structures
- E03F5/22—Adaptations of pumping plants for lifting sewage
- Y—GENERAL TAGGING OF NEW TECHNOLOGICAL DEVELOPMENTS; GENERAL TAGGING OF CROSS-SECTIONAL TECHNOLOGIES SPANNING OVER SEVERAL SECTIONS OF THE IPC; TECHNICAL SUBJECTS COVERED BY FORMER USPC CROSS-REFERENCE ART COLLECTIONS [XRACs] AND DIGESTS
- Y10—TECHNICAL SUBJECTS COVERED BY FORMER USPC
- Y10T—TECHNICAL SUBJECTS COVERED BY FORMER US CLASSIFICATION
- Y10T137/00—Fluid handling
- Y10T137/2496—Self-proportioning or correlating systems
- Y10T137/2559—Self-controlled branched flow systems
- Y10T137/2574—Bypass or relief controlled by main line fluid condition
- Y10T137/2577—Liquid level responsive
J. BRIDGES. I Water-Governor for Boilers.
'No. 218922. Patented Aug 26, 1879.
UNITED STATES PATENT OEEIcE.
JOHN BRIDGES, OF LEON, IOWA, ASSIGNOB TO HIMSELF, HARRIET N. KELLOGG, AND MURRAY M. KELLOGG, OF SAME PLACE.
IMPROVEMENT IN WATER-GOVERNORS FOR BOILERS.
Specification forming part of Letters Patent N 0. 218,922, dated August 26, 187 9; application filed June 17, 1879.
To all whom it may concern:
Be it known that I, JOHN BRIDGES, of Leon, in the county of Decatur and State of Iowa, have invented a new and Improved Water- Governor for Boilers, of which the following is a specification.
Figure 1 is a plan of the device attached to a boiler. Fig. 2 is a side elevation of the same, partly in section.
Similar letters of reference indicate corresponding parts.
The object of the invention is to provide a simple and effective device for automatically regulating the height of water in a steamboiler.
The invention consists of a novel construction and arrangement, in connection with a boiler, of a float, valve, and pipes, and their connections, as hereinafter set forth.
Within the boiler A, of which a represents float O, that, through the vertical arm, the crank D within the steam-dome E, the crank F, the connecting-rod Gr, and crank H, controls the valve I, that is within the valve-chest K, just over the orifice of the discharge-pipe L. When the water in the boiler rises so as to lift the float the valve I is thereby raised or opened.
The tank M being filled with water the forcepump N is put in motion, and, drawing the Water through the suction-pipe O, forces it into the boiler through the feed-pipe P, that is provided with a check-valve, g, the valve 1 being at this time closed down over the pipe L, and at the same time Water is forced up the overflow-pipe Q to the valve-chest, which is kept full. When the boiler is so far filled that the float rises and causes the valve I to open, the water forced by the pump will, choosing the line of least resistance, all flow up through the overflow-pipe into the valve-chest, and out through the discharge-pipeL into the til the lowering of the Water in the boiler causes the valve I to close and turn the flow again to the boiler.
Thus it will be seen that the pump may be continued always in motion and pumping Water without danger of ever forcing a surplus into the boiler; and it is also plainly evident that if the pump is kept in motion the amount of water in the boiler cannot fall below the point of safety-that a regular, constant, and sufficient supply must result from the application of this novel device.
I do not confine myself to the precise construction and arrangement of the parts of the device as shown in the drawings, for it is obvious that changes may be made in both Without departing from the principle of the invention; and I am aware that Waterregulators having floats to regulate the flow of water through pipes have long been in use; hence I do not broadly claim the float nor the regulation of the water-supply to a boiler by a float; but,
Having thus described my invention, I claim as new and desire to secure by Letters Patent 1. The within-described device, consisting of float-rod B, float O, cranks D, F, and H, connecting-rod G, valve I, valve-chest K, discharge-pipe L, tank M, pump N, suction-pipe O, feed-pipe P, provided with a check-valve, g, and overflow-pipe Q, constructed and arranged substantially as herein shown and described.
2. The valve-chest K, provided with the valve I, controlled by the rising or falling of the water in'the boiler A, and connected with the feed-pipe P by the overflow-pipe Q, and with the tank M by the discharge-pipe L, substantially as and forthe purpose set forth.
M. M. KELLOGG, NATHAN PERDEW.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US218922A true US218922A (en)||1879-08-26|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US218922D Expired - Lifetime US218922A (en)||Improvement in water-governors for boilers|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US218922A (en)|
- US US218922D patent/US218922A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US218922A (en)||Improvement in water-governors for boilers|
|US1059609A (en)||Water-distributing system.|
|US669611A (en)||Automatic water-feed regulator for steam-boilers.|
|US235409A (en)||John beidges|
|US598499A (en)||Feed-water regulator|
|US167639A (en)||Improvement in feed-water regulators|
|US1133040A (en)||Automatic boiler feed apparatus.|
|US580745A (en)||Third to lot le bow|
|US404346A (en)||Jules crollard|
|US322077A (en)||Regulator for steam-pumps|
|US157405A (en)||Improvement in floats for horse-troughs|
|US207483A (en)||Improvement in pump-regulating valves|
|US646083A (en)||Automatic feeder for steam-boilers.|
|US1018408A (en)||Apparatus for heating water.|
|US661906A (en)||Feed-water regulator.|
|US187825A (en)||Improvement in heater and feeder for steam-boilers|
|US757426A (en)||Apparatus for feeding neutralizing agents to steam-boilers.|
|US354078A (en)||Boiler-feed regulator|
|US248884A (en)||Railroad water-tank|
|US41504A (en)||Improvement in boiler-feeders|
|US168077A (en)||Improvement in boiler-feeders|
|US279014A (en)||Feed watee eeatjlatoe|