US215870A - Improvement in leather-cutting punches - Google PatentsImprovement in leather-cutting punches Download PDF
- Publication number
- US215870A US215870A US215870DA US215870A US 215870 A US215870 A US 215870A US 215870D A US215870D A US 215870DA US 215870 A US215870 A US 215870A
- United States
- Prior art keywords
- Prior art date
- Legal status (The legal status is an assumption and is not a legal conclusion. Google has not performed a legal analysis and makes no representation as to the accuracy of the status listed.)
- Expired - Lifetime
- 210000001847 Jaw Anatomy 0.000 description 11
- 239000010985 leather Substances 0.000 description 4
- 230000000717 retained Effects 0.000 description 2
- 238000006467 substitution reaction Methods 0.000 description 2
- 206010022114 Injury Diseases 0.000 description 1
- 229910000831 Steel Inorganic materials 0.000 description 1
- 238000007906 compression Methods 0.000 description 1
- 230000000875 corresponding Effects 0.000 description 1
- 238000003780 insertion Methods 0.000 description 1
- 210000001699 lower leg Anatomy 0.000 description 1
- 239000000203 mixture Substances 0.000 description 1
- 238000004080 punching Methods 0.000 description 1
- 239000007779 soft material Substances 0.000 description 1
- 239000010959 steel Substances 0.000 description 1
- B—PERFORMING OPERATIONS; TRANSPORTING
- B26—HAND CUTTING TOOLS; CUTTING; SEVERING
- B26F—PERFORATING; PUNCHING; CUTTING-OUT; STAMPING-OUT; SEVERING BY MEANS OTHER THAN CUTTING
- B26F1/00—Perforating; Punching; Cutting-out; Stamping-out; Apparatus therefor
- B26F1/32—Hand-held perforating or punching apparatus, e.g. awls
- B26F1/36—Punching or perforating pliers
IN VENTOR Patent'edMay'27, 1879.
3. BOHONON. Leather-Cutting Punches.
WITNESS S N-PEIEHS. PMOTO-LITHOGRAPHER, WASHINGTON u c UNITED STATES PATENT OFFICE.
BARTLETT BOHONON, OF WEST FAIRLEE, VERMONT.
IMPROVEMENT IN LEATHER-CUTTING PUNCHES.
Specification forming part of Letters Patent No. 215,870, dated May 27, 1879; application filed March 5, 1879.
To all whom it may concern:
Be it known that I, BARTLETT BoHONON, of West Fairlee, in the county of Orange and State of Vermont, have invented a new and useful Improvement in Leather'Punches, of which the following is a specification.
My invention relates to a tool for punching holes or slots in leather straps for the insertion of the buckle-tongue in attaching the buckle to the strap; and the invention consists in a hand-punch fitted with a revolving head that carries different-sized cutters, and may be adjusted to bring either of the cutters in position for operation. The cutters are removable for sharpening or substitution of others.
The improved punch is shown in the accompanying drawings, wherein Figure 1 is a side elevation. Fig. 2 is a top View. Fig. 3 is a section through the cutter-head on line :20 w of Fig. 1. Fig. 4 is a cross-section of the anvil on line y y.
Similar letters of reference indicate corresponding parts.
In the drawings, a b are levers pivoted together at 0, their outer ends forming jaws a b, that are to be closed by operation of the levers, and spring apart when released by spring (1.
The end of jaw a is formed with a broad face, 6, that serves as an anvil, the surface of which is formed with a dovetailed mortise to receive a piece, 6, of leather or similar soft material, that prevents injury to the edges of the cutters. The jaw a is also curved outward, to give room for the cutters when the jaws are closed.
The jaw b is forked or slotted lengthwise, and carries between its forked ends the circular head f, that is retained by a screw-pin, g, which passes through the jaw and head f, so that f may revolve freely thereon.
The head is grooved radially upon its surface to receive the shanks of the cutters h, that are held firmly by screws 93.
I have shown four cutters, h, projecting radially from f, and by turning head f any one of the cutters may be brought to a-position whereit projects in line of the jaw b, in which position its cutting-edges will come in contact with the anvil-surface e, or an interposed strap when the jaws are closed.
The cutters h are made of a strip of steel bent double to form V-shaped cutting-edges.
Upon one side of jaw 11 is a latch-lever, It, provided at one end with a right-angled projecting pin, l, that passes into any one of the apertures m in the side of head f, and thereby prevents the head from turning.
The latch 70 is retained in this position by its spring k, and there are four of the apertures m, so that any one of the cutters may be held in position for operation. By pressing upon the outer end of 7c the pin lis with drawn and the head may then be turned.
The above-described punch is adapted especially for cutting slots in leather straps at the end where the buckle is to be applied for admission of the buckle-tongue.
In using the tool the end of the strap will be doubled and laid upon the anvil c, and the slot cut by compression of levers a b by hand.
The cutters It will be adapted for cutting slots of difi'erent sizes, and the cutter ot' the desired size is readily brought into position for cutting. By this means but one tool is used where four have heretofore been needed.
Each cutter can be separately removed from the head for sharpening or the substitution of another.
Having thus described myinvention, I claim as new and desire to secure by Letters Patent- 1. The combination, in a leather-punch, ot' the jaw a, provided with the anvil 6, having a dovetail mortise for the reception of the piece 6, and the jaw b, provided with the cirv BARTLETT BOHONON.
E. S. BERRY, ALVAH BEAN.
|Publication Number||Publication Date|
|US215870A true US215870A (en)||1879-05-27|
Family Applications (1)
|Application Number||Title||Priority Date||Filing Date|
|US215870D Expired - Lifetime US215870A (en)||Improvement in leather-cutting punches|
Country Status (1)
|US (1)||US215870A (en)|
- US US215870D patent/US215870A/en not_active Expired - Lifetime
|US215870A (en)||Improvement in leather-cutting punches|
|US336335A (en)||Combined punching and shearing device|
|US205103A (en)||Improvement in wire-cutting tools|
|US317181A (en)||Punching and cutting pliers|
|US134794A (en)||Improvement in leather punches and cutters|
|US404169A (en)||Combined shears|
|US240076A (en)||Louis bauee|
|US52645A (en)||Improved lacing device|
|US207866A (en)||Improvement in tools for cutting out patterns|
|US362817A (en)||Button-hole cutter|
|US366605A (en)||Farrier s tool|
|US338146A (en)||Evan ewan|
|US156619A (en)||Improvement in button-hole cutters|
|US333830A (en)||Compound tool|
|US147792A (en)||Improvement in belt-punches|
|US334215A (en)||heney bambeegee|
|US356734A (en)||Machine for making metallic shanks for boots|
|US230807A (en)||william h|
|US239817A (en)||Wire-band cutter|
|US137821A (en)||Improvement in pruning-shears|